Having just finished building a Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIC, I decided it was time to attempt a German fighter aircraft from WWII. Luckily enough I had just the right kit in my stash, so my next build is an Academy 1:72 JU87G-2 Stuka. 

DSC_2969

This will be the first Academy kit I have built, however looking at the sprues you can see they are very detailed, fully engraved (like it says on the box) and have little to no flash. The kit contains a neat set of instructions, separate sheet showing the colour scheme and a small set of decals (I plan to airbrush rather than decal where I can). 

DSC_2965

There are 5 grey sprues, all nicely detailed........

DSC_2966DSC_2967DSC_2968

There is also a clear/glass sprue. I aim to produce an out of the box build, but may airbrush some of the decal sections. I am really looking forward to this build, and hope I can do the beautiful aircraft justice. 

• Like 5

Been a busy but productive day working on the Stuka build,  she was washed, dried and primed ready for the build to begin proper. I am planning to use Humbrol, and Revell alternatives to those suggested in the instructions, and have begun by mixing a 'Black grey' for the cockpit.

DSC_2971

The lighting isn't great so details are hard to see. I have added some detailing to the pilots seat,  adding leather padding and painted seat let. Once tue cockpit was constructed, along with gunners seat and gun mount, I began painting the inner fuselage walls.

DSC_2970

These have loads of raised details, and I have painted, buttons and leavers in accordance to photographs of Stuka cockpits. Once dry I carefully fixed the cockpit into place and joined the fuselage halves. These went together with ease.

2018-03-31_11-11-532018-03-31_11-12-112018-03-31_11-12-30

Leaving these to dry I drilled holes into the bottom half of the wings, and then fixed it to the top sections, and the iconic wings came to life.

2018-03-31_11-15-34

Then I secured both nose sections into place with the black air intake secured into the bottom half.

2018-03-31_11-15-49

I have been toying withheld idea of airbrushing the spiral on the nose of the aircraft, and attempted (out of curiosity)  to mask the spiral on.......low and behold I managed to mask it (no photo yet sorry). Now normally I would airbrush the whole thing white and then mask up for the black, this time however I'm going to mask twice.....now the mask is on I'm not taking it off!

• Like 2

I'm in.

Built this kit last year, but I used all decals. Looking forward to see how your airbrushed details turn out. Building an Italeri Stuka at the moment, I too have a soft spot for this aircraft.:)

• Like 2

Looking very good look forward to seeing the completed model.  I'm doing the Revell version and compared to the Academy it is very poor the flash is ridiculous, and fit is terrible, I was on the verge before of giving up on it .....    I wish I'd got the Academy version....   

• Sad 1

Having received my new airbrush (I am having trouble with the nozzle cap not tightening on my neo) in the post yesterday,  I decided to test it out painting the dome shell of the propeller hub. My new airbrush is a Badger Renegade Krome, and it is a beautiful bit of kit.....

But, also a little intimidating. So I blasted some water through it and all seemed to go to plan, time to mix the paint!😬 For the prop shell I used Revell matt white, mixed it 1:4 paint to thinner ratio, with a few drops of flow improver for good measure. First test spray went well, smooth, even and most importantly working!  Because all seemed ok I began spraying the shell, and spinner, again this sprayed evenly. I really like the feel of the Renegade, it's heavier than my previous airbrushes but feels great in my hand, sprays beautifully and has given me a great result..... So far so good.

• Like 1

Quick update on last night's progress. I have attached the nose and instrument panel to the fuselage (all went together pretty well),  built the tail plane (again went together pretty well),  and attached the fuselage to the wings (these fitted beautifully, thank you Academy for making these work so well!). Now she has that authentic Stuka stance, I find the wings super intimidating and can't imagine having to face one of these in battle. That's all for now folks.

DSC_2987

DSC_2988DSC_2989

• Like 3

Hi Michelle,

this is a great kit, so you should have a lot of fun with it.

Not too sure about the decals though... Sometimes they are OK, sometimes....no comment.

But you'll cross that bridge when you get to it. In the meantime, have fun with your Badger!

Cheers.

JR

• Thanks 1

Having carefully masked up the Stuka, I set to work airbrushing. I decided to spray the yellow sections first, as they are the lighter colour and I want them to stay vibrant. I mixed up the paint 1:4 again and started spraying.  The yellow went on smoothly, and I built up the colour by spraying several light coats.

DSC_2993

DSC_2992

I am really pleased with the way the Renegade Krome sprays, and the effect I have achieved. I then turned my attention to the spiral on the nose of the aircraft. Having already sprayed the white coat, and masking it up, I mixed my black and began to spray. Having left it to dry for 30mins I carefully unmasked it......and I'm pleasantly surprised, it's not bad.

DSC_2994

• Like 4

Yesterday I carefully masked over the yellow areas and got out my airbrush. I was slightly dreading airbrushing the blue underside, partly because I'm using Humbrol paint for this colour (and it isn't my favourite brand to airbrush), and partly because I was worried it would bleed onto the yellow. So with that in mind, I mixed up the blue (1:3 this time as it was quite thin already) and began to spray. Several light coats later, and she's blue!

DSC_3003

DSC_3004

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Andwil said:

Something to do with the yellow chevron?

Andrew

Got it in one, the yellow chevron was in the wrong place (goodness knows what I was looking at!).  Hopefully I'm in the process of fixing it now.

Thanks Michelle. 

• Like 1

I'm pleased to say I have managed to correct my chevron problem. Having sanded the wing down, sprayed blue over the top, last night I carefully masked the chevron in the correct position and sprayed it yellow. 

DSC_3009

I also masked and painted the yellow lines on the top side of the wing, so now she is ready for masking and the first green coat to be applied to the top side.

DSC_3006

• Like 3

The previous post was from 2 days ago (I didn't realise I hadn't uploaded it!). In the mean time I have airbrushed the lighter green (it's actually Revell's dark green).  The paint went on well with my usual mix of 1:4, and a couple of drops of flow improver. 

DSC_3013

DSC_3014

With the paint now dry, tonight I will mask her up again and apply the Black Green parts of the camo scheme.

• Like 5

Having masked the Stuka carefully, I mixed up some Revell black green and set to work. I do like airbrushing with Revell acrylics, they are pretty consistent and give a smooth finish. Once she had dried for 30mins I removed the masking and left the build over night. 

DSC_3022

DSC_3023DSC_3024

The lighting isn't great, but I'm really happy with the abstract camo look.

• Like 2

Nice progress! 

One small pointer, if I may and it's not too late - one of the niggles in Academy's Stuka is that the left wing has a gap in the wing root fairing above the left MLG strut,  just inboard of the gun fairing, while the corresponding right side fairing is uninterrupted as it was on the real thing. This should be filled.

Possibly Academy went by a preserved example with an access cover missing.

Cheers,

Andre

• Thanks 1

Looking good. :D Been away for a while, gonna follow your build to the end. My own Stúka is at the decaling stage, but I always work at least two kits at once, so it may take some time. Gotta have something to do while i'm waiting for paint/glue to dry..B)

• Like 1

Disaster has struck!  Last night I gave the build a coat of Quick Shine in prep for the decals, this went well and I was relatively happy. Then I discovered I have lost both cannons😵😮😟😢. Having searched everywhere (even a weeks worth of rubbish 🤢) I am resigned to buying a whole replacement kit just for the cannons!

• Sad 1

Oh that are bad news. Maybe someone on bm has some spares for you . Aires did a resin set some time ago  but maybe oop and probably more expensive than another Academy kit. You also could build two Stukas then. One G-2 and one D version which is the G version in outward apperance without the cannons. Cheers

• Thanks 1