Wings of Silver. Bristol Bulldog

My entry for this groupbuild with be Inpact's 1/48 Bristol Bulldog.

RAF100 Bristol Bulldog 048 Inpact 02

Will need to replace some of the struts due to missing parts. Also the decals look past it so will be replacing them with some Model Alliance decals to produce a 23 Squadron Bulldog K1676 as flown by Plt.Off Douglas Bader, RAF Kenley December 1941 1931.

RAF100 Bristol Bulldog 048 Inpact 01

Edited by Jb65rams
Date edited.
  • Like 8

Great choice.

Are Impact kits simular to the old Pyro ones ? 

I seem to remember they come in a rather nice looking silver plastic. 

I didn't realise the Bulldog was still going in 1941 ! Every days a school day

Good luck with the build

cheers Pat

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Great choice.

Are Impact kits simular to the old Pyro ones ? 

I seem to remember they come in a rather nice looking silver plastic. 

I didn't realise the Bulldog was still going in 1941 ! Every days a school day

Good luck with the build

cheers Pat

Think that should be 1931? Baden was trying to do a low roll in a Bulldog when he crashed and consequently lost his legs in the resulting accident and surgery. 

Threadbear, you right that should have been 1931, will edit the original post. thanks.

Pat, I believe that the Inpact kit is the same as the Pyro & Life-Like boxings.

mackemo1, they do look nice kits, also have the Flycatcher, Fury and Gladiator is the stash.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Made a start whilst hge paint is drying on my Carrier Ahoy build.

The cockpit is basic, just consisting of a seat, floor, joystick and instrument panel. Just to busy it up a bit added some framing, not accurate just aim to give the impression.

RAF100 Bristol Bulldog 048 Inpact 03

Just some tape seat belts to add.

RAF100 Bristol Bulldog 048 Inpact 04

Fuselage halves joined.

RAF100 Bristol Bulldog 048 Inpact 06

• Like 3

I think the cockpit interior was a 'generic' that Inpact put in all the kits :lol: it looks the same as the one in the Flycatcher I'm doing, good job busying it up a bit!

• 1 month later...

Had the day off yesterday, so finished my entry for Carriers Ahoy off and bought this back onto the bench.

Wings added and rigging holes drilled out before giving it a coat of primer, followed by a coat off Humbrol Rattlecan Silver.

42344773401_27731091d5_b.jpg

27475233207_838f8ba9a0_b.jpg

Also built up the Bristol Jupiter engine.

40537644250_1b6d14a74d_b.jpg

• Like 4

That's looking really good. It'll be fanastic once you get those colourful markings on. This sort of thing is exactly why I like the 20's and 30's stuff, they were

so colourful. As for the Inpact/Pyro/Lifelike kits, I'd take one any day of the weeks - they are great despite their age.

This is awesome! 

I thought I was getting this kit in the smer box, but got the much more primitive Merritt kit.

At least now I have some great decals.for when I get my hands on this one. 

Im really glad to have the chance to see you build one.

• 2 weeks later...

Not alot of progress to report. Just after the photo below was taken the build came to a grinding halt following two failed attempts to mount the top wing.

I've taken the decision to put this to one side for a while before frustration leads me to do something stupid with it 

40881513460_38cb80a798_b.jpg

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Jb65rams said:

Not alot of progress to report. Just after the photo below was taken the build came to a grinding halt following two failed attempts to mount the top wing.

I've taken the decision to put this to one side for a while before frustration leads me to do something stupid with it 

40881513460_38cb80a798_b.jpg

Sorry to hear this is stopping. :(

If you let us know what the problem is, perhaps somebody can suggest a solution?

Often (not always) with bi-planes it is keeping the wings at a set distance while the struts and rigging are installed.

• 1 month later...

This won’t be finished in this group build. WIll likely make an appearance in the next KUTA.

Thanks for all your encouragement.

The problem was fitting the upper wing. Having stepped away I have had time to think and come up with a plan, will need to construct a jig to hold the wings.

Edited by Jb65rams
  • Sad 1

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Sorry to see this project was halted. I was looking for some inspiration and tips for my own Inpact Bulldog here.
When you're not going to finish it, I'm interested inbuying the 48156 Model Alliance decal set from you.

Please let me know when you want to sell.

Thanks,
Frank.

Edited by J-063 RNLAF