Carry on Bully +++COMPLETED+++

BIG X

Afternoon Folks.  I have been having a bit of trouble accessing the forum for the last days - so this is the first chance I have had to do a proper update.  Firstly though - a huge thanks to Ben - AKA @badger for finding some '5' bridging weight discs - you are a top man and have virtually 'saved this build' for me.  So in anticipation of their arrival I cracked on with some of the other decals...

I  thought I would get the trickiest job out of the way first though - having only used 1 each of these on the fronts of my Cromwells...

UTC181.jpg

I had stacks of these - so everything I've built up to now has them on.  They are so tiny though that at true size they just give the 'impression' of a serial number - it is very hard to make out the numbers without a magnifying glass.  I wanted to place them on either side of the front cab - but they were slightly too long to look right - but I was sure I had seen 'stacked' serials - so it was back to my new search engine of choice - bing - which still lets you look at an image without actually going to the page it is from.  Anyway I found these...

UTC175.jpg

UTC180.jpg

UTC179.jpg

...so my interpretation is here...

UTC182.jpg

...well that was fun :D

I'm not risking updating more for now - as this keeps hanging...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Cracking ahead with the decals I see- talk me through the serial numbers. Would they have been different per vehicle, or did they represent a production batch?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sairou said:

Cracking ahead with the decals I see- talk me through the serial numbers. Would they have been different per vehicle, or did they represent a production batch?

No - just like a car registration every vehicle would be different - it's just the only numbers I have.

So mine are all the same - 'cloning' I think they call it in modern 'car ringing' parlance :doh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, BIG X said:

No - just like a car registration every vehicle would be different - it's just the only numbers I have.

So mine are all the same - 'cloning' I think they call it in modern 'car ringing' parlance :doh:

If I'd have known I'd have popped you a selection along with the bridging discs

All the best

Ben

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, badger said:

If I'd have known I'd have popped you a selection along with the bridging discs

All the best

Ben

no worries - all done now.

But if anyone knows where I can source 1/76 - 1/72 serial number sets - please feel free to advise - there are plenty more vehicles in the cupboard - fighting for workbench space ;)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BIG X said:

no worries - all done now.

But if anyone knows where I can source 1/76 - 1/72 serial number sets - please feel free to advise - there are plenty more vehicles in the cupboard - fighting for workbench space ;)

Sadly it appears the fingerprint designs sheet I have is now out of production.

This is the best I can come up at present (you'd need to trim the "c"s off each one).

http://www.milicast.com/shop/product.php?productid=2797&cat=0&page=4

All the best

Ben

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, badger said:

Sadly it appears the fingerprint designs sheet I have is now out of production.

This is the best I can come up at present (you'd need to trim the "c"s off each one).

http://www.milicast.com/shop/product.php?productid=2797&cat=0&page=4

All the best

Ben

Hey Ben - that looks pretty interesting - I'm sure I could lose those C's I may send off for some of those - thanks...

OK - I'm attempting another update - if your reading this it worked...

On the Allied Star choice I went for option 3 - small star towards the back...

UTC183.jpg

...if you remember it came from these choices...

UTC164.jpg

...a couple of guys suggested that what I thought was a large middle star could be a shape marking - well during my hunt for 2 tier serials I found this - which could be that shape...

UTC174.jpg

...oh blimey and final real proof of a 4 on the front - too late now though - my 5's are drying as we speak :doh:

I did get the bulls on the other night too...

UTC184.jpg

UTC185.jpg

UTC186.jpg

I still haven't got the arm of service numbers on yet - but I'm swaying back to 4KSLI - if I go that I'll fill you in on why and I'll post the 5's when they're dry.

I  don't want to ramble too much - in case this doesn't load - maybe more later if this works...

• Like 2

OK - that worked - so here is a bit more...

Whilst searching for those serial pictures I also found this interesting shot...

UTC177.jpg

I  was most intrigued by this ammo box - I  have literally a 'stack' of them that came with the Loyd Carriers...

UTC178.jpg

...so it looks like I  could borrow a few if one of the carriers looks a bit 'empty'.

In other news I did give some of the candidate stowage a dirt wash...

UTC154a.jpg

UTC154b.jpg

pretty subtle for me - but I actually think it works.  I did the troops too...

UTC152.jpg

UTC153.jpg

Now I have put too much dirt on faces in the past - but these guys did look a zombie like - so I compromised with a lighter wash...

UTC153_A.jpg

here is the result...

UTC153b.jpg

UTC153c.jpg

I  could have lit it better - but they look OK - trust me ;)

• Like 4

On the registration numbers, could you not cut up the transfers to make different numbers?

On the squadron markings I think these would only be on the armoured brigade's rifle battalion's vehicles. This is because they had 1 carrier platoon with 10 vehicles at each infantry company whilst the infantry brigade battalions only had 1 platoon at the battalion HQ.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Niall said:

On the registration numbers, could you not cut up the transfers to make different numbers?

On the squadron markings I think these would only be on the armoured brigade's rifle battalion's vehicles. This is because they had 1 carrier platoon with 10 vehicles at each infantry company whilst the infantry brigade battalions only had 1 platoon at the battalion HQ.

Hi Niall,

I'm not bothering with squadron marking 'shapes' - I just mentioned it out of interest as it had cropped up on the mystery 'negative' picture.

As for 'jumbling up' the registrations - I like the fact that they are so tiny that no one really notices they are all the same.  That said - I have no run out of Cromwell ones - so moving forward I need to get a sheet of mixed registrations from somewhere anyway.

Thanks for the input as always,

Steve

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Niall said:

On the registration numbers, strategicly placed mud when weathering then.

love it - you are my kind of guy ;)

• Haha 1

I've lost all my pictures now - in all my threads...

Nothing to do with any attack - but postimage dot org have 'lost their domain'...

Now if I had ever produced anything that actually made people go - 'ooh' or 'ahh' - then I'd be really upset...

But as I've just been having a bit of fun I'm not going to let it spoil my day...

However - as I can't upload any pictures and the forum still keeps chucking e out every 2 minutes - I'm calling it a day on this one...

Hopefully everything will be sorted before the Airfix vintage GB - but until then...  

Thats all Folks! by GBetim

• Sad 6

• BIG X changed the title to Carry on Bully - Sorry - Mission Cancelled...
54 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Now if I had ever produced anything that actually made people go - 'ooh' or 'ahh' - then I'd be really upset...

You did.  But I enjoyed it while it lasted.  Not my period, but workmanship is to be admired for its own sake.

• Like 1

I can still see some of your photos and others have come back once I refreshed the page.

Hopefully it can all be sorted as would like to see how these turn out.

If it helps I use Flickr and haven't had any problems.

All the best

Ben

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 18:41, Gorby said:

I can still see your pics.

On ‎12‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 19:04, Avereda said:

Me too. From one blue to another now’s not the time for quitting. 93:20.

On ‎12‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 19:26, Chillidragon said:

You did.  But I enjoyed it while it lasted.  Not my period, but workmanship is to be admired for its own sake.

On ‎12‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 19:50, badger said:

I can still see some of your photos and others have come back once I refreshed the page.

Hopefully it can all be sorted as would like to see how these turn out.

If it helps I use Flickr and haven't had any problems.

All the best

Ben

On ‎12‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 21:55, Sairou said:

I recommend Imgur.com as a good image-hosting site.

Thanks for all the support guys - still no sign of my pictures - but I live in hope...

Quick update though - decaling is now complete - I went for 8th Rifle Brigade in the end - white 54 on a red background - which matches my halftrack.  The bridging discs are on too - thanks to @badger

They look amazing - almost 'museum' quality ;) - well I would say that wouldn't I - you can't see any pictures to prove me wrong :lol:

Gloss coat to seal the decals tomorrow and then a pin wash and general grime under the skirts.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Niall said:

Whilst looking for somethingelse I've just found this set of 1/76th scale radios -

http://matadormodels.co.uk/76e/lists 76E28ff.htm#bookmark

Wow - they look really neat Niall - if I hadn't made my own I would be seriously tempted - thanks for the link.

...another quick pictureless update - though I am still taking pictures and can maybe add them later...

• DECALS GLOSS SEALED
  • DARK DIRT WEATHERING IN ALL RECESSES
  • EVERYTHING GLOSSED PRIOR TO FINAL ASSEMBLY

Today I am hoping to put these to bed - but it's a busy day...

• CHINESE GRAND PRIX
  • HAIRCUT
  • PACK TO GO TO BRISTOL FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS WORK

The forum seems to be working for me at the moment - but I'm still checking 'chucked out' every few minutes - Mike is looking into it though...

Happy modelling folks and I hope to be back in full flow soon - Steve

• Like 2

Well Daniel Ricciardo won the Grand Prix and I've had my haircut.  The bins still need to go out, but I have got some work done.  It's been a bit of a beggar actually, as I had been test fitting the drivers without their steering wheels - so out with the sanding sticks to get everything in.  Snug is not the word.  There are 2 now complete and one to do after tea.

Then it's the final dusty wash and matt varnish.  I may get it all done yet.

I will risk another photo service I think - just to show the finished articles - but I'm still holding out to see if postimage get their domain back before making any permanent changes.

The forum seems to be letting me post - for now - so fingers crossed that hiccup is finally sorted.

Hopefully more later.... :D

• Like 3