Eduard 1/48 Hawker Tempest Mk.V Early

37 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

cracking work there Pip

the shot above really shows up the reworked tail fin! 

cheers

T

Thanks Troy, I have really appreciated your help with this one, the photo you posted early on really demonstrated how inaccurate the fin was.

The anount of stuff I've learned in this thread is amazing. Thank You all :) There is some very beautiful model making as well. Stunning result from a kit I have and really want to build but not, perhaps just yet.

General question. Does the short rear fuselage issue matter if converting to a Mk II. I'm thinking of using the MDC conversion kit.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SleeperService said:

The anount of stuff I've learned in this thread is amazing. Thank You all :) There is some very beautiful model making as well. Stunning result from a kit I have and really want to build but not, perhaps just yet.

Thanks for your compliment and I'm really pleased you have found this thread useful,  I too have learned a lot over the course of this build. 

5 hours ago, SleeperService said:

General question. Does the short rear fuselage issue matter if converting to a Mk II. I'm thinking of using the MDC conversion kit.

I have seen and read so many comments about the fuselage length, and although it is slightly too short, I do believe it is overstated. By my calculations, the kit is only 2mm shorts (96mm in the real world) which is not obvious to the eye. As Troy mentioned earlier in the thread, the wing thickness and leading edge of the tail are the most obvious corrections needed. I chose not to address the length but put a lot of effort into getting the wing and tail looking correct. As for whether it is an issue for your Mk.II will depend on whether it bothers you enough to correct it but in my opinion, it wouldn't affect the final build. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/5/2018 at 14:38, SleeperService said:

Does the short rear fuselage issue matter if converting to a Mk II. I'm thinking of using the MDC conversion kit.

Hi Nick,

no, as Pip mentioned, the big impacts are the fin and wing work, neither are difficult with some basic modelling skills. I think the length issue has obscured the bigger visual issues.

I quite like working out fixes,  but don't seem to get much further than that at the moment,  and at least this is fixable without huge amounts of work, though this has highlighted some other areas of poor detail.

I think this has become the definitive build of the Eduard Tempest I have seen done so far, and will be hard to top!

There is a build on the Eduard site where a chap has done an amazing amount of work on the kit, open engine, opened gun bays, riveted and more,  but has not done any of the basic shape fixes, though I suppose Eduard don't want to talk about those :rolleyes: 

You are in luck wit the MDC set, as the wing rads are in two bits, meaning they can then befitted to the thinned wing reasonably easily, the Airwaves Mk.II conversion has this as single parts. There is a bit of wing root on the cowling  mouldings. but that's easy to fix.

cheers

T

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the reply pip and Troy. There's no way I'll be able to top this. Maybe if it was an AFV but not an aircraft :)

Without the MDC bits to hand it's good to know that Chris & Bob thought this out nicely. The wing is seriously thick 😮 the photos don't do the difference justice. I've been comparing the kit parts to the plans (always dangerous but...) and I'm with pip fuselage maybe 2.5mm too short. Certainly not worth a whole replacement rear fuselage. The plans are your recommendation BTW. I've still got to get on with my Hurricanes though...

Meanwhile back to following pip the trailblazer.

• Thanks 1

Very nice progress! Beautiful rendition with the paint! As you said, it would be interesting to see this tape technic for a very used aircraft! 😋

very nice work, keep going you are close to the end!

Frank

• Haha 1

AHi Pip,

Just quickly looked through this, what a great wip thread it is. Those undercarriage legs are worthy of a special mention. 

I love the looks of the Tempest and have the later Eduard boxing along with the AlleyCat correction set but i'm far to much of an idle modeller to rework everything as you have done. I'm going to take the easy way out and wait for Eduard's new kit.

You've shown what can be achieved though with a lot of work and I think you should be proud of this build.

As for the price of your vise, quality doesn't come cheap, however if it does as it supposed to do and well then its money well spent.

Tim.

21 minutes ago, tank152 said:

Just quickly looked through this, what a great wip thread it is. Those undercarriage legs are worthy of a special mention. 

Thanks Tim, I'm really proud of the undercarriage 🙂

26 minutes ago, tank152 said:

I love the looks of the Tempest and have the later Eduard boxing along with the AlleyCat correction set but i'm far to much of an idle modeller to rework everything as you have done. I'm going to take the easy way out and wait for Eduard's new kit.

I have come to really appreciate the Tempest during this build so I can't wait for the new Eduard kit to come out so I can build that one too. Hopefully, if Eduard has fixed the issue which it looks like they have, it will be a relaxing build after this one.

Looks like they missed the fishplates again! lol

37.jpg

http://aerodynamicmedia.com/eduard-current-projects/

26 minutes ago, tank152 said:

As for the price of your vise, quality doesn't come cheap, however if it does as it supposed to do and well then its money well spent.

The vice is so useful, I have found it handy for holding tiny parts so I can remove mould seems and it was perfect for holding the clear sprue so I could drill the light holes. 

Such a pretty Tempest you're making!

Maybe Eduard will add the fish plates as etched parts?

It will be a pain to sort that out...or they'll do a separate fuselage for the early version or something.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

What a great result. I have enjoyed following this thread and I have learned an awful lot about the Tempest from this WIP. I have been able to incorporate some of the points raised here into my 1/72 scale Academy build so many thanks for your inspirational build.

I now have to hope that mine turns out somewhere as nice as this one.

Duncan B

• Thanks 1

On 08/06/2018 at 10:57, Duncan B said:

What a great result. I have enjoyed following this thread and I have learned an awful lot about the Tempest from this WIP. I have been able to incorporate some of the points raised here into my 1/72 scale Academy build so many thanks for your inspirational build.

I now have to hope that mine turns out somewhere as nice as this one.

Duncan B

Thanks for the compliment and I'm really pleased that you found this thread useful.

• Like 1

On 13/05/2018 at 14:01, pipthepilot said:

Not very much left to do now, just a couple more bits to glue in place. I have just installed the legs so I'm going to leave the glue to dry.

Cv-l05YZOvRLsTtAY3qgEwTdxzUHXTPXJYKV4S8n

Hi Philip,

is it the glue dry at the end?

In other words: did you finish this masterpiece? Is it in a gallery?

And did you use the Hataka paints? What about them?

TIA,

Stefano

• Like 2

10 hours ago, stefano59 said:

Hi Philip,

is it the glue dry at the end?

In other words: did you finish this masterpiece? Is it in a gallery?

And did you use the Hataka paints? What about them?

TIA,

Stefano

Hello Stefano,

I have been very slow to take some photos, I will try to do them today to post in RFI. 😳

As for the paints, I used a combination of Vallejo, Ammo Mig and Hataka. The Hataka Dark Green is a very good match, compared to the colour chips in the book "British Aviation Colours of World War Two" and was as easy to use as Vallejo. That said, I bought some Hataka RLM colours recently to test and found a few were very difficult to cover.

In case it is useful, the below image is my spreadsheet to keep track of colour matches based on the paints I own compared to the colour chips. I realise that this doesn't take into account colour scale but personally, I prefer to know that the colour is correct first as post shading and highlighting means the colour isn't consistent anyway.

OEq_BvCJZxZO5b2C3i99a8r4gLY2tJFF1s1xsC6I

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, stefano59 said:

Thank you Philip,  also for the spreadsheet.

Do you thin the Hataka or do you use them directly from the bottle?

When I tested the Hataka paints I used them straight from the bottle and they sprayed fine. When I am airbrushing models I always use "Vallejo Airbrush Flow Improver" with all my Acrylic paints, including the Hataka. The flow improver does thin the paint slightly, but more importantly, it stops the paint drying in the airbrush which reduces paint blocking.

Hi Philip, thank you for the informations.

But which is the correct painting sequence when you use the Hataka (from the primer to the final matt clear coat)?

Which primer, preshading, clear gloss, clear matt and so on?

Thank you again,

Stefano

23 minutes ago, stefano59 said:

Hi Philip, thank you for the informations.

But which is the correct painting sequence when you use the Hataka (from the primer to the final matt clear coat)?

Which primer, preshading, clear gloss, clear matt and so on?

Thank you again,

Stefano

Hello Stefano,

I don‘t usually use primer but I did with the tempest as there was a lot of scratch building, sanding and filling to make sure was right. I used Vallejo primer on the whole aircraft.

For the underside, I started by painting a thin layer of Hataka Medium Sea Grey directly over the primer, next I painted the the panel line shading in a dark grey. I then airbrushed  a random highlight pattern inside of the line shading using plain white. Then I painted another light coat of the Hataka Medium Sea Grey as the top coat. 

I used a similar process for the Ocean Grey and Dark Green sections. 

Once the whole aircraft had the colours, I airbrushed a Vallejo gloss varnish layer so I could place the decals. 

Over the decals I use a thinned coat of Tamiya smoke gloss. This seals the decals but also reduces the overly bright colour of the decals.

Then I used panel line wash, my preferred wash is AK Interactive - Paneline for Green and brown camo. I also used some oil paint for staining. I also airbrush the exhaust smoke stains using a very thin layer of black, another thin layer of dark brown and lastly a small area close to the exhausts in light sand colour to replicate some lead staining.

Lastly I gave the entire aircraft a coat of Vallejo Satin varnish. 

• Like 1