Eduard 1/48 Hawker Tempest Mk.V Early

Hi Philip,

Which is your first impression using Hataka paints? I read very contrasting opinions, from the best to the worst.

Btw, which are your airbrushing parameters? Do you thin the Hataka, or do you add retarder/leveller to them?

Thank you,

Stefano 

24 minutes ago, stefano59 said:

Hi Philip,

Which is your first impression using Hataka paints? I read very contrasting opinions, from the best to the worst.

Btw, which are your airbrushing parameters? Do you thin the Hataka, or do you add retarder/leveller to them?

Thank you,

Stefano 

I have never used them before, I received the set yesterday and have only used them to paint the spoons in the photo. I used them straight from the bottle without adding anything, they atomised very well and covered the spoon very quickly using my Harder & Steenbeck Evolution with a 0.4mm needle.

Normally when I airbrush I use Vallejo Flow Improver as this stops the paint drying too fast, stops the airbrush getting clogged and allows very fine brushing. I will test the Hataka paint to see if it is compatible with the flow improver, otherwise, I will use thinner. I did read that Hataka paint doesn't cover very well but this was not my experience yesterday. I painted the spoons without an undercoat and the paint went down very easily. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, stefano59 said:

Thank you,  Philip.

I'm waiting for other scratchbuilding masterpieces!

Stefano 

No scratch building this time but I have spent the last two days filling and sanding but she is looking good. If you look closely you will see I have cut off the elevators. The panel lines on the horizontal stabilisers were wrong, the line where the elevators join was in two pieces that didn't line up. To start with I fill the lines with putty then rescribed them but they still didn't look right so I cut them off. I will post a picture of the tail with the modified elevators later, but I wanted to get the undercoat on first so I could check the filler.

v-bvnEg8gHau-0_1kDl4Y3h50KHjChu8kgPY9eTr

• Like 3

She has guns! Installed the brass gun barrels, that look fantastic, and made some navigation lights for the wing.

9lLGBhd0wXxghcsTC1kfTwE35n-EYfUYhRZyqu98

I got to try out my new toy, a tiny micro vice. So many times I have found myself fiddling around trying to hold a tiny part with tweezers whilst I work on it, which inevitably ends with the part pinging across the room and me spending the next 10 minutes crawling around the floor on my hands and knees looking for it, so I decided to find something better and then I came across this little beauty. In the photo below you can see how I started making the wing light. Once I had cut the flat surfaces with a razor saw, I polished them and then drilled a tiny hole which was then filled with Tamiya X-25 and X-27. On the flat surfaces, I then glued silver foil using CA glue.

7W9fvlnIaWjKWRg7Oqx07jXov57TNxsFDzM80Ezz

You can just about see the green bulb inside and the silver foil backing. I found it quite useful to keet the long piece of the sprue on as it gave me something to hold when I glued it to the wing, then I carefully clipped it off with some sprue cutter. Then all I had to do was shape it using a knife to start with then a sanding stick before polishing it with a set of Micromesh. 

fCU9DOOqf24DeAxPJH28hY2pbhoEnaUHe9k74rnf

• Like 3

That micro vise is very interesting: where can we find it?

And what can we say for the navigation lights? Simply perfect!

This is not only a wip but a scratch building tutorial!!

Thank you for sharing!

Stefano

1 hour ago, stefano59 said:

That micro vise is very interesting: where can we find it?

And what can we say for the navigation lights? Simply perfect!

This is not only a wip but a scratch building tutorial!!

Thank you for sharing!

Stefano

Thanks Stefano,

I bought the vice from here.

https://www.renishaw.com/shop/Product.aspx?Product=R-CVM-B-6

• Thanks 1

A little update for today. Nearly all the parts are ready for paint now, I just need to mask the canopy.

Freshly dipped canopy from last night, today it is nice, shiny and dry. I like to use Gauzy Agent Glass Coat for dipping canopies as it makes them look brilliant. 

sefbPKVWZo1fOmfx0KrpIjTDuMibY8Vhi4M6HoHw

I like to pre-shade and pre-highlight before airbrushing, even on the spinners because I like them having a little depth otherwise it looks too clean against the rest of the model.  

GNdnDOl13r55aDh5pZ1ZE4lm72pEkoBTMRABpA5M

All the parts in various stages of paint. You can see how shiny the canopy looks after the glass coat.

zlcHp5tClaDT9ApTI2WfcmI8wjn6maTUKLizIXZU

• Like 3

A few photo updates. Painted most of the little pieces that will be added to the build later.

FS5Myo37Fle1Yz-E8JKLsSoXdCqHG6dgmvj2Lfcy

Started painting the Aeroplane. I painted the white sections for the invasion strips first then masked them. Then I painted the "Sky" band around the tail and the yellow leading edge strips before masking them up before painting the underside with Med. Sea Grey. The photo below shows the pre-shading and white texture that will then be painted over with the base colour.

tByWrRWGm4-RE1AgY4zkhjWK0ql4gQrUjG9rJMV4

All masked up and ready to paint the ocean grey layer tomorrow. 

hMj26RRbrJdSY5uCZ1xJMfPIkIX33plyFocf1Ykp

• Like 6

Excellent work! Looking very good! :)

That vise was interesting, until I noticed the price for it! :)

Håkan

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Azgaron said:

Excellent work! Looking very good! :)

That vise was interesting, until I noticed the price for it! :)

Håkan

I just have to make sure I use it as often as possible to get my money's worth 🙂

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Frank083 said:

Nice progress! Starting to smell paint in the air...😜

Frank

You have no idea how happy I am to finally start painting her. It has been an enjoyable but really challenging build.

3 hours ago, MarkSH said:

Great work, vey interesting to see your process for pre-shading / highlighting. thanks for sharing.

Thanks, it always looks very harsh at this stage but once the top coat is on it can be quite subtle. As I am painting her in the colours of JN751, I'm aware that this aircraft was repainted at the factory in 1944 because Hawker used this aircraft to test performance differences of factory painted invasion stripes. As a result, she would have been in excellent condition so I am going to try and be more subtle with the weathering.   

Starting to paint the "Ocean Grey" pattern.

Jwv8FK1lXwPF-9nw5JqOe8I0xVkYutY7UAdpoFkX

gSw1VR_54aQ7TYqz0wjcdZL4MHThO1NfnW3Sd2B3

Masked up ready for Dark Green.

SJcfuF62vRpuoUJUD_dAM6YR5ez9Xn34iGPaEsCQ

Ns0B3FvU4OmNI3yMBzgZKCRE8ByNMpYd-UjUdq75

iqwCVbeZobHargxL3XcvA2Nbdnj7uuULzqGdB4V5

Removing the masking tape is always my favourite part. Next, I need to mask up ready to paint the black lines. 

B_kKRwgKDNzv5e6SFWppY4t27v3dAPQHkYJqTEJY

• Like 6

Unfortunately, I had a minor disaster whilst removing masking after painting the black stripes. I had used a new type of flexible masking tape but it pulled the paint away as it was removed. The photo below shows it after being rubbed down ready to repaint. 

h8qjci_kZ5Er-Or5sIGqW4u3VRwL70Y2EFS6qCi-

Luckily it was all fine once repaired and resprayed.

P7pZGDpRrAg1Eah0zHJaV97ZLJTs9yRnxZueTWaf

PEgdNSmrqGAtXJe7h-A-YdzDjbyEytdKZuvh42b7

• Like 7

53 minutes ago, Azgaron said:

Nice save! Looking good! :)

Håkan

Thanks,

At least now I know exactly how to recreate a really weathered version. 🙂 

_bvcf2aq3mY1YHWTqmseV0yjDnT39LjAfBQxxDZk

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Always nice to get the decals on, in case the yellow spinner hadn't given it away earlier this aircraft is Wing Commander R.P. Beaumont's JN751. When I started I wasn't sure if I would create it as this aircraft because I thought it would be nice not to follow the kit markings so I would have something different but as I started to research the Tempest it became clear that it had to be RPB's aircraft. Wg Cdr Beaumont was instrumental in both the development of the Tempest and the introduction of the aircraft into operational service. He led the development of ground attack tactics for this aircraft and pioneered the tactics used to defend Britain against the V1 flying bombs. After the war, Wg Cdr Beaumont was the chief test pilot at English Electic where he flew the prototypes for both the Lightning and Canberra, he was the first British pilot to pilot a British aircraft at Mach 1 and the first to fly at Mach 2. 

iMjZdKJn2ebdNgBVDvqDEWmsXBGi8qnGb4KgcYuW

• Like 7