Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

pipthepilot

Eduard 1/48 Hawker Tempest Mk.V Early

Recommended Posts

Hello Everyone,

 

I've been looking forward to building this kit for a little while but until now have been putting it off because I am sure it is going to offer a few challenges along the way. The kit is limited in detail so I intend to do some scratch building, especially in the cockpit and I have also bought some upgrade parts including exhausts and wheels. 

 

MyTA_c0sDBkByqqAo8kfcitfmqzqDj1hCHf3_e04

 

gHHM4Epd_SXbp7v2dtuJUz0_CqXPYMRrttb6qHe-

 

scLDr_GkIB98xa_vlCNSXtX_AqtJ2IRDXB2TiRzj

 

T7VXtnOyNB9wyb4YcogHv4RT6FfZrXy04eeQbI6G

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the Eduard Tempest does need some remedial work,   it really benefits from thinning the wing and tailleading  edge.

a scraper really helps

if you go down  thewing thinning route,  it can cause fit problems with the UC wells and cockpit floor

 

this is a really useful site, in particular the walkarounds

http://www.hawkertempest.se/

 

http://www.hawkertempest.se/index.php/indetail/walkarounds

 

LA607 looks to have complete wheel wells,

http://www.hawkertempest.se/index.php/indetail/walkarounds

and the Eduard ones are pretty sparse...

 

this is the missing shot in one of the links showing the leading edge of the fin,  the Tempest tailis basically a Typhoon tail with fillet grafted onto  the front

woodhouse23-1.jpg

 

 

HTH?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

the Eduard Tempest does need some remedial work,   it really benefits from thinning the wing and tailleading  edge.

 

2

Thanks Troy,

 

Really appreciate the links, information and pictures. I was aware the tail was too thick but I didn't realise how incorrect the fin leading edge actual was so it does look like my work is really cut out for me.

 

Also, I had started to test fit the fuselage and wings to see how well they went together and had already noticed how thick the trailing edge of the wings were, so that's another job to do. 

3JBEgXlADFFgBO1x57L_ldR3lHkRpRhvxwr_MysW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Pip

 

Not just the trailing edge,  the leading edge.   

 

I saw some of your work elsewhere on the site,   and am sure you  won't find the tweaks are difficult,  and  hopefully the WIP photos should explain what's what,  I spent sometime working out how to do the corrections.   It was one of  those things I'd seen much complaining about,   but very little in the way of actually fixing the problems,   I was thinking it might involve cutting out the wing roots, but it was pretty simple in the end.

 

I hope it makes sense,  any question just ask.

here's another build,

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234962172-tempest-mk-v-wcdr-roland-p-beamont-148-eduard-alley-cat/

 

I think the wing thiining was a touch over done,   and Rene had a resin pit which interfered with the wells

 

One of those gooseneck scrapers is well worth investing in,   they are really good for speeding up the thinning process.

 

Typically mine is now sat in a box unfinished.

 

I case it gets lots,  Paul Budzik's scratch  build is a real treat,

http://paulbudzik.com/models/tempest-construction/tempest-construction.html

also good for not going totally barmy of adding pipes to the wheel wells,   LA607 is a spagehetti nightmare!

 

cheers

T

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Troy Smith said:

Hi Pip

 

Not just the trailing edge,  the leading edge.   

 

I saw some of your work elsewhere on the site,   and am sure you  won't find the tweaks are difficult,  and  hopefully the WIP photos should explain what's what,  I spent sometime working out how to do the corrections.   It was one of  those things I'd seen much complaining about,   but very little in the way of actually fixing the problems,   I was thinking it might involve cutting out the wing roots, but it was pretty simple in the end.

 

I hope it makes sense,  any question just ask.

here's another build,

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234962172-tempest-mk-v-wcdr-roland-p-beamont-148-eduard-alley-cat/

 

I think the wing thiining was a touch over done,   and Rene had a resin pit which interfered with the wells

 

One of those gooseneck scrapers is well worth investing in,   they are really good for speeding up the thinning process.

 

Typically mine is now sat in a box unfinished.

 

I case it gets lots,  Paul Budzik's scratch  build is a real treat,

http://paulbudzik.com/models/tempest-construction/tempest-construction.html

also good for not going totally barmy of adding pipes to the wheel wells,   LA607 is a spagehetti nightmare!

 

cheers

T

 

 

8

Seems like this might take some time :-)

I also noticed the tail is completely the wrong shape, as you said it looks like a typhoon tail with a fillet rather than one curving tail so it looks like more plastic has to be removed! 

hVhORNdbyhTVabPIdGWj0JnQch6urejsTQS2Y3SS

 

Already took your advice earlier and already have one of those scrapers on order. 

 

I did come across Paul's scratch build, which is what inspired me to have a go at scratch building my cockpit. 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A  word of caution, LA607 is the Mk.II prototype,   and in this case the front fin fillet is a grafted on part, the production tails don't have this.... or so I thought!

Good spot there Pip!

 

woodhouse40.jpg

from

http://www.hawkertempest.se/index.php/indetail/walkarounds/295-walkaround-hawker-tempest-mk-v-ej693

At least it's too much,  as it easier to remove than to build up.

 

note the unrestored pics of the fuselage, and the difference between code letters and sky band,  both are Sky....

see for my schoolboy error

corrected by  @Chris Thomas, who is author of several books on  the Typhoon and Tempest, and handy if you can't get the sky band paint too match decal codes ;)

 

 

this is always worth a read as well

https://boxartden.com/reference/gallery/index.php/Modeling-References/Camoflage-Markings/04-Hawker-Tornado-Typhoon

 

cheers

T

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So a couple of hours with a number 10 blade and I have scraped down both the leading and trailing edge (created an awful lot of plastic confetti) to create what I hope looks like the more slender wings of a Hawker Tempest and no longer the thick wing roots similar to the Typhoon.

 

z9blbjTMFs_Da79G_GNwaPtGCWb060R0iunGt3Zn

 

I was worried that removing this much plastic would affect how the wing root mated to the fuselage, but it actually fits a lot better now. I will have to use filler in places and I will need to sand down some areas of the fuselage to match the new plastic thickness of the wings but it shouldn't be too much work. 

Ek3apBTUBQ6ZFFboCTl7MRc4_P3YxTD0ndKeQio_ 

 

Thanks Troy, you have set me a challenge with this Tempest. I will try not to let you down. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, pipthepilot said:

Thanks Troy, you have set me a challenge with this Tempest. I will try not to let you down.

Hi Pip

Your model,  just trying to help.    Glad anything has been of use,  and whatever you do won't let me  down!

 

The wing thinning really helps,  as does doing the tail,   and  while a bit of chore,  not difficult.One thing I have noticed is a tendancy for many modellers to want (expect?) an aftermarket fix,   when often simply knowing what to to do and a bit of modeling  skill will achieve  the same end.   Some of the aftermarket doesn't  even do a very good job!

 

Sadlyworking out the fix is only bit I get round to  doing!

 

One detail that may have been lost in the postings

Quote

36113673871_e0d7d705be_o.jpg

drilled out and narrowed ejection slots, and the new wing light, the Tempest has a double light behind a clear cover here, look at the Tempest site walk rounds of the V at Hendon, as it's suspended this can be seen well. made with the blunt end of a 3mm drill plunged into heated clear sheet. Also have deepened the flap and aileron lines.

 

double light detail

nv778-179.jpg

 

nv778-177.jpg

 

I didn't modify the cover shape.   This was missed out on the new tool Airfix Sea Fury as well.

the lights look to suspended above the cover on some kind of backing plate.

 

from, with more pics,  and some good ones of the shell ejector slots as well.

http://www.hawkertempest.se/index.php/indetail/walkarounds/298-walkaround-hawker-tempest-mk-v-tt-nv778

 

HTH

T

 

 

Edited by Troy Smith
typos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did some work on the tail today, first I added styrene inside so I could scape away from the outside. 

tfmtMM8YjSOBQVLkY79vlDLfeMbSEnCWBINLvBRA

 

Created a more pointed leading edge and corrected the shape.

huLcuy-xO8rhYJ1FSPOS_Au3v2xb4zOhI5VEElG2

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also today, I had fun scratch building a cockpit. 

hhP5WnHWwpM28ZKzFGMT9vHHga_XtNvo9rTzru8V

 

5Y33PJmQ8uKmfCqytWH5doFrsvpzTybj5Aq8Mt0Y

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quite pleased with how the cockpit has turned out. 90% scratch build, I was going to build my own seat but after several failed attempts I went with the kit seat. The instrument panel is an Eduard PE part, actual for a Typhoon but I had read that their cockpits were identical, certainly difficult to tell them apart in photos.

D05MXjol6QvjVIv1cXPQp4yz4kKIthaIJJ7Smdyy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Pip

 

looking very good.

 

Are you going to fix the fuselage length issue?

 

this is the resin plug that comes with the Jaguar set,  but it's a simple scale 8 inch splice (1/6th inch)

36111527311_3957f7d36d_o.jpg

 

crickey,  was it really that long  ago  I did this!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Hi Pip

 

looking very good.

 

Are you going to fix the fuselage length issue?

 

this is the resin plug that comes with the Jaguar set,  but it's a simple scale 8 inch splice (1/6th inch)

36111527311_3957f7d36d_o.jpg

 

crickey,  was it really that long  ago  I did this!

 

 

 

I haven't decided, it does seem like a lot of work though. 

 

Also, is it really 1/6 inch (4.2mm) too short because by my calculation the difference is only 2.2mm? The Mk.V length was 33' 8" which is 10261mm, at 48th scale, this would be 213.7mm, when I measured the length of the fuselage including the spinner the length is 211.5mm a difference of only 2.2mm.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, pipthepilot said:

Also, is it really 1/6 inch (4.2mm) too short because by my calculation the difference is only 2.2mm? The Mk.V length was 33' 8" which is 10261mm, at 48th scale, this would be 213.7mm, when I measured the length of the fuselage including the spinner the length is 211.5mm a difference of only 2.2mm.

 

 

Quite possibly not worh the bother,  Anyway,   the fin and wing thinning makes a bigger immediate visual difference.

 

the 8 scale inches  is from memory,  not  even sure where the kit is!

one point,  there are different spinners,

 

which may make a difference,  does the  stated length say if series 1 or 2,  and the prop fitted?

the Eduard kit has 2  types of spinner and prop blades.


Lovely job on the cockpit as well.  

 

 

cheers

T

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

 

Quite possibly not worh the bother,  Anyway,   the fin and wing thinning makes a bigger immediate visual difference.

 

the 8 scale inches  is from memory,  not  even sure where the kit is!

one point,  there are different spinners,

 

which may make a difference,  does the  stated length say if series 1 or 2,  and the prop fitted?

the Eduard kit has 2  types of spinner and prop blades.


Lovely job on the cockpit as well.  

 

 

cheers

T

 

It looks like they experimented with some quite unusual spinners :-) 

tempest-14.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I decided I really didn't like the moulding on the inside of the fuselage so removed it all and added my own detail. 

RH9DLl8Q0ndh4XxNKdwv4qRCOj02j-aYmm7Z7Tuf

 

I didn't like the tail wheel well as there was no detail and the locating hole for the wheel was in the wrong place so I made a new part. The tailwheel on the tempest is attached much further back and swings into the well whereas the kit had the wheel placed almost in the middle. The resin tail wheel was too short so I extended it with a piece of brass pipe.

EhoNa8NqH6cdCQdV2NdQaNSjaUEcxcMG-7wllcAn

 

Lastly this evening I started to add rivet detail to the fuselage. 

5NpjD5beG3KltIT04X6F7mOgYPmoJ1a6QqrXgjSy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice work there :thumbsup: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was in London this morning for meetings but had a free afternoon so I hopped on the Northern line to Colindale to visit Hannants and then the RAF Museum for some inspiration.

 

KQwf9RP7sgen3lDhNALr_gBHLB1y5B6rIdjctXzV

I think the Tempest is a glorious looking aeroplane. :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well the last couple of days has all been about riveting and now both fuselage halves are fully riveted and my eyes hurt.

THc1nr8Ml3bAlaAaNgy1sPzqcRsO6HBiU7Yl6OQ5

 

Once the rivets were done I couple finish off painting the interior. 

TzgN7W6R5vDQ7fJgcOKOkh4t7agea1pjuywh4Omc

 

Almost ready to join the halves together.

gRCkMmbDHwlqtGl2A7eDa4AhJ2SE0qbQpa7SKMIX

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While the riveting will have been hard work it'll all be worth it in the end and the exterior detail will match that displayed inside the cockpit :goodjob: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Started working on the Undercarriage and wheel well, as you can see from the first photo, the detail quality is not great. 

5siyWBSESx7l_PJa8Ig4YpLgBa4K12QhBGS5AfxY

 

I removed the surface detail from the wheel wells and started again from scratch. Can you spot the difference?

Lj6I9ZtTRRiKl8LLBeut72UOfhUJHS1_HNSYE93s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A little update from this evening, I started building the undercarriage mechanism from scratch to replace the kit part.

GmpFh6fzqiMB_2En4Lq6SSt6PzB5phn5RVonLfGV

 

Not sure what I am going to do with the legs, I might use the kit part and just add more detail or I might try and build something from scratch. I tried to find some upgrade parts for the undercarriage but couldn't find anything but I have purchased a set of metal undercarriage for a Sea Fury which from the eBay photo looks to be the same as the Tempest Mk.II with the forged support arm so I am hoping once they arrive I can modify them to look right. Does anyone know if there are any obvious differences? 

VE6S0141.jpg?zoom=2&fit=800,533

The Sea Fury above seems to look like the undercarriage may have been beefed up a little for use on carriers compared with the Tempest below but it is hard to tell as I don't have pictures showing them from the same angle.

dLMx-pPZP3MTeJyhHVgKIKkdVccrI9JciLh3F-ib

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Hawker Sea Fury undercarriage legs arrived today and my first reaction was they look much better but they are way too short! However, when I compared them to reference photos I realised that the kit parts are actually too long. 

COgvQVFVmN3fwEb-kUL2MrauhuXM_pj_nHZHs-Wb

 

Reference photos for comparison.

9de9e4ff69c84aa48bb5bacf1e12534c.jpg 87a2b6ce80644a62ba8277b791021b4e.jpg

 

In the photo below you can see I positioned the legs so that the top of the lower undercarriage part lines up with the panel line on the fairing as per the reference photo above, this places the wheel in the correct position with the wheel centre considerably further above the bottom of the fairing. However, I will need to lengthen the top of the undercarriage as it doesn't reach the locating hole in the wheel well.

 l49fNrw-2PxeScpFV2aMsRxid_qhtygHc_duUEsz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finished the Wheel wells this evening, really quite pleased how they came out. 

XKTWUNEc-yAAqPfbTC6cXnLBm3JD7rc5e__iJwuW

 

5LDNgHyxF3kpgj-Ss3tz0_xgmNJJXJGRLz86D17t

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pipthepilot said:

The Hawker Sea Fury undercarriage legs arrived today and my first reaction was they look much better but they are way too short! However, when I compared them to reference photos I realised that the kit parts are actually too long. 

 

Are the white metal ones the SAC set for the Trumpeter Sea Fury?  That may explain the shorter tops?

 

I have some Aeroclub ones,   V196.    Not compared them to the kit ones as yet

V196.jpg

 

22 minutes ago, pipthepilot said:

Finished the Wheel wells this evening, really quite pleased how they came out. 

 

came out really well, lovely bit of work.

 

cheers

T

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×