E-2C Hawkeye # Finished#

Jabba

For this GB I will be building a E-2C Hawkeye that was used by VAW-12 Screwtops during the Gulf War of 1991. I will also be folding the wings using a Wolfpack Design update set, plus I have several decal sheets both in 1/72 and 1/48 (To be reduced in scale) to hopefully aide me in what I would like to make.

The kit that I will be using.

resized_edec055e-3501-4809-a1f0-357e0687

What I am hoping to make.

resized_a7f1e88f-c8a8-497d-8652-71000801

Inside the kit box.

resized_6d2694e4-97b6-4d61-9f1d-eee0d587

The wing fold set (new photo required).

resized_300707f4-c650-4f62-9048-870cd8eb

The various decal sheets that I have for the build.

resized_ac2a5916-174f-4440-9542-2c45fbde

Edited by Jabba
  • Like 8

welcome aboard Jabba and with the first Hawkeye in the build.

It'll be quite a big and impressive model when done and you have a wing fold kit to go with it. Did the dome raise and lower when the wings folded? I seem to remember reading somewhere that it could be lowered so it could fit in the hangers.

Well good luck with the build, another interesting one to follow, I look forward to seeing her in the gallery. 

Nice to see another E-2 on BM and you're doing the Screwtops as well😎.

Ill be interested to see how the 72nd kit goes having finished the Kinetic 48th last month.

Good luck with the build, a wise decision to add the wings fold, it's a mighty long wing span.

This will be good. Always had a soft spot for the Hawkeye - fond memories of the Fujimi kit I built a long time ago now. I have the Kinetic kit in the stash but to be honest it's unlikely to be built any time soon - way too big!

Thanks for all the comments. I have been wanting to make a Hawkeye for our S.I.G table for many a year so now I have not got an excuse. I have used several Wolfpack update sets before and found them very good and relatively easy to use, this also lets me fit the finished model onto the display table and shelves at home more easier.

A better photo of the update set.

resized_043baff4-2ab8-45ae-9faa-cb6fe232

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think that the wing fold looks as bad as it does, all I did was follow that instructions (strange I know) that Wolfpack gave, which follows a line on the wing for most of the cut only deviating off at either end to facilitate that wing fit.

I have done a small bit to the build in that I have fitted the inner wing fold detail to the inner wings. This was a lot easier than I thought that it was going to be as each side is a solid piece that fits snuggly into engine and smaller recesses that are in the inner part of the plastic, like the ones that can be seen in the centre of these pictures. I then glued the wings together and will do a final bit of gluing with super glue tonight. Hopefully I will get some of the cockpit and fuselage built soon.

resized_ec10dd72-aefd-4703-b672-b3614181

resized_4fed4a6f-7b8c-4a53-8d68-c769d567

• Like 6

I have built the cockpit and added to one fuselage half. I have also been building many other parts as these are going to be taped to where they are fitted so that I can determine how much weight I am going to add to the nose area. I will also have to remove the outer wings from there moulding which are solid resin, as these too will be added when determining the weight.

resized_26123ed3-bdcd-4929-aa28-61ec643e

Parts assembled for weight determination.

resized_5cabefa0-bceb-44e9-9f33-311436de

The wings.

resized_6255f8b0-6de8-4903-a47d-c115e8fc

• Like 2

I think the killer will be the folded wings, seeing how they are resin, the dish won't help. But t least you have plenty of room just behind the cockpit for it.

I dragged out my resin 1/48th version the other night, gosh they are big, the dish on mine is solid resin!

19 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I think the killer will be the folded wings, seeing how they are resin, the dish won't help. But t least you have plenty of room just behind the cockpit for it.

The wings are what I am most worried about. In the kit instructions it is suggested to add 30g of weight to the nose, although they only indicate on either side of the cockpit and what remains at the front of the nose and that is with the wings unfolded. I think that I am going to need much more weight than that and also hope that the nose U/C can stand this weight.

no with those wings folded and being resin....... you're going to need quite a bit of weight. Either you don't use any an fit a thin metal pin or thin clear plastic support, or you could upgrade the landing gear? SAC do a full metal undercarriage for this model. 

It's not that cheap but it means you can use as much weight as you need and not have to work about the gear......ever!

SAC 1/72nd E-3C Landing Gear set

10 hours ago, trickyrich said:

no with those wings folded and being resin....... you're going to need quite a bit of weight. Either you don't use any an fit a thin metal pin or thin clear plastic support, or you could upgrade the landing gear? SAC do a full metal undercarriage for this model. 

It's not that cheap but it means you can use as much weight as you need and not have to work about the gear......ever!

SAC 1/72nd E-3C Landing Gear set

I have used this set before when I made a Greyhound, that was a resin conversion and worked very well. I will just have to see how much weight I can squeeze into the available space.

A couple of photos showing how the model will hopefully be configured when it is finished so that I can determine how much weight is required so that it is not a tail sitter. The last photo of this group shows how much weight is actually needed. I do now know that the outer wings are to be fitted a bit higher up on the outer fins when it is finished, but is alright for what I wanted to do at this moment.

resized_f2902a79-e070-4f21-b336-32e00adb

resized_1133def6-8643-4851-81ca-801388c4

resized_05ae4efa-efab-4cba-9d44-716bad58

• Like 2

Unfortunately yes, and the third blob behind the cockpit is the safety weight, in that the other two made the model not a tail sitter, this was just extra insurance incase I missed anything.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have doing some small bits of work to this model whilst finishing off two other models for their respective GBs. I now can devote more time to this one and this is my progress so far. Luckily I had already built some of the major parts when I determined that nose weight, so the parts are going together quicker than my normal building pace.

resized_a4cdbb3f-e30e-4676-96f0-ef17cbe8

resized_adfd2682-945a-42c0-a805-1e9e8ae8

resized_986e6cba-b30b-453f-b354-282c136b

• Like 3

A few more parts added. I have not fitted the flightdeck glazing yet as I am wondering as to whether fitting the side parts to this before fitting the whole thing to the fuselage or add them after fitting the main part to the fuselage.

resized_f3a32de4-fc60-4ba1-9565-848eed91

resized_62560490-c2a0-4c03-957f-49c923c1

resized_4a3dff71-961c-424e-b64b-106e525b

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Due to workman being in the house for the past couple of weeks I have not achieved as much as I would have liked to have done. I have painted all the major bits in Grey (fuselage and wings shown here), and the added the black anti- icing boots on the wings and tails. Hopefully I shall apply a couple of coats of Klear and then start decaling. This is where the fun will start as I have to get some of the 1/48th decals down to 1/72nd. Does anyone have any ideas of doing this? I have tried a photocopier before with some degree of success, but this is a newer copier at work so I am not sure if this is the way to go.

resized_1cc36c79-9468-4202-ad06-e3bb008b

resized_5c58b374-035f-4ba9-a07b-addac769

• Like 4