Smer Tempest V *FINISHED*

Beard

I'm going to attempt to build the Smer (ex-Heller?) kit. I've got four Academy Tempest, which appear to be based on this one, in the stash but they're destined to be converted into MkVIs so it's this one (raised panel lines and and all).

20180330_133345

The sprues:

20180330_133453

20180330_133510

20180330_133527

20180330_133543

The decals:

20180330_133409

(Not sure I'll be using the codes.)

I've made a start painting bits and pieces.

The wheelwells got a coat of Tamiya Flat Aluminium:

20180330_133619

as did the undercarriage doors:

20180330_133712

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Beard
to insert photographs.
  • Like 5

Nice one, look forward to seeing this one progress.

I built my first Smer kit recently and it went together really well, I hope yours is the same. That's a lot of decals for a relatively small aircraft ?

cheers Pat

• Like 1

On 31/03/2018 at 9:40 AM, JOCKNEY said:

Nice one, look forward to seeing this one progress.

I built my first Smer kit recently and it went together really well, I hope yours is the same. That's a lot of decals for a relatively small aircraft ?

cheers Pat

Thanks Pat. I'm at the stage of joining the fuselage halves together so I'm about to find out how well it fits. This is a re-boxing of the Heller kit, I think most Smer kits are re-boxings. Incidentally, like the Fulmar, it's also being in Airfix and Revell boxes:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/147644-sm-r-169-hawker-tempest-mk-v

On 31/03/2018 at 10:22 AM, Col. said:

Welcome to the GB Beard. You're off to a good start with this one :speak_cool:

Thank you.

Not much done yesterday but a little done today.

I re-painted the wheelwells; aparently, only post-War Tempests had aluminium ones:

20180401_160725

Installed the cockpit and the bit that goes in the chin:

20180401_160746

The curse of Smer undercarriages strikes again; I lost an undercarriage leg on the Smer Fulmar I'm doing in the Carriers Ahoy! GB), this time it's a short-shot leg:

20180401_160639

Luckily I have the parts from an Academy Tempest, that was destroyed in a wrapping paper incident, which I can use.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 2

On 02/04/2018 at 6:57 PM, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good evening Beard

Very nice job so far ...

Patrice

Thank you Patrice, there's plenty of time left for me to make a mess of it.

This evening, I splashed a second coat of Colourcoats Medium Sea Grey on the undersides.

2018-04-09_09-00-37

Thanks for looking.

• Like 4

Apologies for the lack of updates on this build (in my defence, I'm building two kits in another Group Build, painting a Spitfire and trying to put the finishing touches to seven other kits).

Anyway, I've started painting the uppersurfaces. They've had a coat of Colourcoats Ocean Grey and WWII Dark Green:

2018-04-13_09-03-17

Thanks for looking.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, johnd said:

Really? Where did that information come from, please? 

John.

I've got confused between MkVs and MkIIs, it appears that the later may have had grey-green wheel wells. I'll be repainting them later today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 13/04/2018 at 9:09 PM, Beard said:

Apologies for the lack of updates on this build (in my defence, I'm building two kits in another Group Build, painting a Spitfire and trying to put the finishing touches to seven other kits).

Anyway, I've started painting the uppersurfaces. They've had a coat of Colourcoats Ocean Grey and WWII Dark Green:

2018-04-13_09-03-17

Thanks for looking.

Shocking, so you admit to two no wait three timing us with other group builds ! :yikes:

You should be ashamed of yourself !

Great progress by the way  :thumbsup:

cheers Pat

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Shocking, so you admit to two no wait three timing us with other group builds ! :yikes:

You should be ashamed of yourself !

Great progress by the way  :thumbsup:

cheers Pat

Thanks Pat. Two of the builds are in Group Build you are also taking part in... I'll say no more.:)

Uppersides done, maybe a few re-touches needed but I'm pretty happy.

2018-04-15_04-14-27

I'll give it a gloss coat before masking and painting the exhausts.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 3

Re-touches done and a gloss coat applied so it's ready for the decals.

2018-04-21_02-50-10

I'm going to do JN751, Roland Beamont's aircraft, and have found a photograph that seems to support Smer's lack of invasion stripes:

tempest_1.jpg

The bad news is that it appears to be a Series 1 aircraft so has cannons protruding from the wing.

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Beard
to correct spelling.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Col. said:

Do you think it'll be possible to add a set of cannon to the wing using some shaped plastic sprue or rod?

I was thinking of buying some metal ones but your suggestion is a lot cheaper.

• Like 1

If you haven't got plastic or brass tube are you any good at heat stretching sprue? Heat stretch a plastic bar from a cotton bud or two or three. Most bud bars are hollow, a bit too big for cannon, but once heat stretched its a smaller diameter

3"/typhoon rockets make good raw material for early Tempest cannon, its what I used on my Mk II prototype & I've seen others do likewise, two cannon from each rocket & a gentle taper sanded onto the front & you're good to go. Don't forget to make the outer ones stick out a tad more than the inners.

DSCF2846

Steve.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Black Knight said:

If you haven't got plastic or brass tube are you any good at heat stretching sprue? Heat stretch a plastic bar from a cotton bud or two or three. Most bud bars are hollow, a bit too big for cannon, but once heat stretched its a smaller diameter

I used the stretched cotton bud trick when I made an early Spitfire (to represent the sticky-out Browning barrels); with practice, you can get a very thin tube.

10 hours ago, stevehnz said:

3"/typhoon rockets make good raw material for early Tempest cannon, its what I used on my Mk II prototype & I've seen others do likewise, two cannon from each rocket & a gentle taper sanded onto the front & you're good to go. Don't forget to make the outer ones stick out a tad more than the inners.

DSCF2846

Steve.

I like this idea... especially as I have plenty of spare 3" rockets.

• Like 1

Time to stick the transfers on.

20180422_130406

The codes look a little lurid to me so I'll replace them with some aftermarket.

The roundels are okay though.

20180422_130310

I'll have to dig a Wing Commander's pennant out of the spares box though.

20180422_130319

Thanks for looking.

• Like 3

I've decided that @stevehnz's suggestion to use 3" rocket warheads for the Series 1 cannons is worth a try - mainly because it's a cheap option.

2018-04-22_02-57-06

I think they look pretty good and we'll worth a few minutes work on the rockets with some coarse every paper and opening up the cannon holes with drill and round file.

Now to do the other side.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Simon. it was the skinny bit between the warhead & tail fins I used &it  appeared about the right diameter scale wise, those might be a bit chubby perhaps.

Steve.

There's a word I want to use but can't.

• Haha 3