Sword 1/72 Harrier T4N XW268

Just about finished, this is my Sword 1/72 Harrier T4N built to represent XW268 as it sits today at the Norwich Aviation Museum, Norfolk.

The kit has been chopped about as appropriate and there is the addition of an Airfix IFR probe which was kindly donated to me. Ignore the base, as this is just something rough for it to sit on until I can do a better one!

The model has been painted by hand using Humbrol enamels and Model Color acrylics. The tarp over the cockpit area is a piece of 5p supermarket carrier bag over a plastic strip frame.

I had all manner of problems with the Sword kit not least the undercarriage. Overall, very few parts actually fit; though to be fair, in the end, I didn't use much filler. That being said, there were a few times when it nearly got thrown against the wall.

The decals are from the kit, spares box and home-made.

413834624.jpg

413834625.jpg

Edited by techniquest
  • Like 40
  • Thanks 1

I feel your pain, having just completed a T4 and having a T2 underway I know these kits are not for the faint hearted.

Anyway your finished result is exceptional, looking much better than mine.

Phil

• Haha 1

On 31/03/2018 at 7:45 AM, techniquest said:

Just about finished, this is my Sword 1/72 Harrier T4N built to represent XW268 as it sits today at the Norwich Aviation Museum, Norfolk.

The kit has been chopped about as appropriate and there is the addition of an Airfix IFR probe which was kindly donated to me. Ignore the base, as this is just something rough for it to sit on until I can do a better one!

The model has been painted by hand using Humbrol enamels and Model Color acrylics. The tarp over the cockpit area is a piece of 5p supermarket carrier bag over a plastic strip frame.

I had all manner of problems with the Sword kit not least the undercarriage. Overall, very few parts actually fit; though to be fair, in the end, I didn't use much filler. That being said, there were a few times when it nearly got thrown against the wall.

The decals are from the kit, spares box and home-made.

413834624.jpg

413834625.jpg

Very nice. I know the owner of this SHar and, he would be most impressed.

(Unless of course you are Dan?)

• Like 1

Superb job,..... you really have got it spot on!! Lovely modelling.

Cannot wait to see the real Harrier restored, our only surviving RN Harrier from the overall Dark Sea Grey days,...... hope they can keep the surviving paintwork if possible,

Cheers

Tony  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, David A Collins said:

Very nice. I know the owner of this SHar and, he would be most impressed.

(Unless of course you are Dan?)

Haha, no I'm not Dan, but he was kind enough to send me some drawings which helped me with the paintwork and missing parts & panels.

4 hours ago, tonyot said:

Superb job,..... you really have got it spot on!! Lovely modelling.

Cannot wait to see the real Harrier restored, our only surviving RN Harrier from the overall Dark Sea Grey days,...... hope they can keep the surviving paintwork if possible,

Cheers

Tony  

Its come a long way since it arrived. Only worry is once its restored it really needs to be kept inside, the aircraft at NAM are looking in bit of a sorry state at the moment as they are pretty exposed to the elements where they are :-(

• Like 1