Xtrakit 1/72 Swift FR5

Hi, all. 

I'm glad to be sharing this RFI with you all. This kit almost didn't make it across the finishing line. It never quite reached the shelf of doom, but it was certainly on the back burner for a while. 

This model was to be airframe WK293. Xtrakit incorrectly label the belly as being PRU blue when it was actually silver. Wanting to add a PRU blue Swift to my collection I changed course and grabbed some Airfix decals from @FZ6. This required a few touch ups of the disruptive camouflage on the top sides to match the new aircraft, WK281.

When I got to the gloss stage I promptly dropped the aircraft and had to repair to nose. That wasn't too hard to fix. Following the repairs I decided to brush on a coat of klear, rather than airbrush my Tamiya X22. However, this coat of klear caused cracking all over the model! After some attempts to fix the issue I eventually stripped the whole aircraft with thinner and sandpaper. And for my last disaster, as I approached the finishing line I drilled a hole right through the starboard wing trying to make a secure footing for the landing gear. 

Despite all the trials, I'm very happy with the finished product. I've lost a few panel lines along the way (mostly on the upper side of the main wings), but it's not a glaring omission. This fills a niche in my collection and demonstrates my commitment to getting things right! 

Paints:

PRU Blue: Humbrol Acrylic 230 (horrendous paint)

Dark Green: H330

Dark Sea Grey: H331

Gloss: Tamiya

Flat: Gunze

Decals are Airfix, except for the roundels (Xtradecal) and the squadron markings (Xtrakit). 

VFC4344h.jpg

eOqDlCNh.jpg

O9aoOHoh.jpg

yuc1rTDh.jpg

rLFv7myh.jpg

CjrcZweh.jpg

ymD4jWRh.jpg

Edited by Magua87
  • Like 34

Well, despite your travails you've produced a terrific looking Swift.  The issue with the Klear must have been particularly distressing (figuratively and literally).  Never come across that before.  Anyway, well done on your perseverance.  It was definitely worth the effort.  I'm always surprised how small the Swift looks when sat next to a Hunter. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

The issue with the Klear must have been particularly distressing (figuratively and literally).  Never come across that before.  

I had some minor cracking on the nacelles of a recent meteor which were painted with Gunze's shine red and coated in klear. Unfortunately I hadn't made the association before I started brushing the whole of the Swift with the same bottle! 

8 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Beautiful looking Swift! Very well done indeed.

You say the Humbrol acrylic 230 was horrendous, I just got the oil based version, is that as bad?

I can't comment on Humbrol's oil paints other than their gloss black, which seemed to airbrush nicely. The acrylic 230 was ... inconsistent. I couldn't get a good thinned ratio. It would seem to dry up in the paint cup and require constant re-thinning and playing with the air pressure.