Westland Wyvern S.4, Trumpeter 1/48

Here is my Trumpeter Westland Wyvern - finally completed after 10 years on the shelf....

I used an eduard 'interior' set, two 500lb bombs by Griffon and two figures by Elan miniatures.

Decals come from the kit and for painting I used Xtracolor (EDSG and Sky). I changed the spinner colour to Blue according to the 4+ publications paperback (Trumpeter wanted it to be Red)

I found this to be a nice, easy built with no major problems - even the contrarotating propeller's mechanism works as advertised.

After taking the pictures I had my doubts about the tie-down points on HMS Eagle in 1958.....so far I have painted them in the deck colour.

Comments welcome.

- How do I manage to get several pictures into one textbox? Copying the link into the box immediately creates the picture and leaves no room for more links....hence all the single posted pictures...:think:

Edited by Ingo Degenhardt
  • Like 5

10 years on the shelf? Mine must've logged the same sort of down time (except I have both 48 and 72 versions 'on the go').

Lovely work, and weren't they just an amazing looking beastie.

Very nice indeed Ingo.

In 1959 my uncle was in the Royal Navy at Lossiemouth and he took me round and showed me all the stored Wyverns (including WL879). Sadly not one of them was preserved.

That visit planted the seed and I have built a few Frog ones over the years.

Must now try a Trumpeter one.

Thanks for posting.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Britman said:

Great build, looks like a worthwhile kit. Marinefleiger WIF next?

Thank you.

Yes, the kit is a good one. Except for the 60lb rockets. I had to replace (scratch) their rear ends because there is no 'exhaust', just the "X" of the fins.

I don't do WIFs (time issues), but it would make a great WIF for Marinefliegergeschwader 2 at Nordholz, yes.

• Like 1

Love the Wyvern.  It's the kind of aircraft that ONLY the British could have conceived of!

You have made a brilliant build of this.  Looks great.

What do you mean 'propellor mechanism works...' surely they haven't geared the contra rotating props?!  If so I'm buying and building one just to twiddle the spinners!

9 minutes ago, At Sea said:

Love the Wyvern.  It's the kind of aircraft that ONLY the British could have conceived of!

What do you mean 'propellor mechanism works...' surely they haven't geared the contra rotating props?!  If so I'm buying and building one just to twiddle the spinners!

Only the Brits? I give you...

the Douglas Skyshark.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_A2D_Skyshark

It even looks somewhat similar, but nowhere near as pretty.

And yes, Trumpeter have made a gearbox for the props - turn the front one, the rear one goes the other way (only on the 48th version though, the 72th doesn't have the room).

11 minutes ago, At Sea said:

You have made a brilliant build of this.  Looks great.

Yes, the kit includes the option to make the second (rear) propeller turn the other way when you turn the foremost prop with your finger. Bit of a toy-like feature but easy to include and no external disadvantages.

Douglas must have had a Brit on that team! ;)

That's a great ideal... wanted a Wyvern but need one now! lol