1/72 Hawker Woodcock. Or maybe Danecock....

Killingholme

Hi all,

I'm going to build my ancient Merlin Models Hawker Woodcock Mk.II

File:Hawker Woodcock II.jpg

Appearing in 1923 the Woodcock was the first fighter designed by Hawker, meeting the 1922 air ministry specification 25/22 for a night fighter. The general layout bore strong resemblance to Sopwith's Snipe that went before. The Woodcock I was powered by an AS Jaguar 14 cylinder radial, and was a twin-bay biplane.  It proved unacceptably prone to wing flutter and lacked manoeuvrability.  However the basic design was pursued. In 1923, after W.G. Carter took over Hawkers' design office, and after the arrival of a young Sydney Camm, the design was re-drawn as a single-bay aircraft, powered by a Jupiter IV. The aircraft was tested throughout 1924 where it performed well, but the Jupiter suffered from icing. Initially metal covers were fitted over the cylinders, but later the Bristol exhaust ring solved the problem. The RAF accepted 10 aircraft in 1924, and went on to order a further 62. A derivative of the design (featuring unequal span bays, and a fuselage modified to accept an Jaguar 14-cylinder engine) was sold to the Danish Airforce- which were subsequently licence built in Denmark as the 'Danecock'

The kit:

Merlin Models 1/72 Hawker Woodcock MkII

40228632095_ff24f1b3a1_b.jpgIMG_20180323_202158 by will.fenton, on Flickr

41123096961_2b3b6c7c07_z.jpgIMG_20180323_202321 by will.fenton, on Flickr

This kit has sat in my stash since the early 2000s. It currently rests in a very special box alongside a number of its rare kit friends, all safely knowing I would sooner not build them than make a mess of the kit knowing I would probably never find another.

But what is a kit if you don't build it?

So here goes... 

Edited by Killingholme
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/04/2018 at 1:35 AM, Herb said:

Excellent, I wish you the best of luck! I went the Danecock route, and I think it turned out ok. Merlin kits are buildable!

Cheers,

Herb

Wow, that's special. I know I won't be approaching that, but it's certainly making me think about converting to a Danecock.

No progress to report as yet, but comparing the parts to the Grainger plans shows that the kit is pretty much spot on dimensionally.  

I don't suppose you found any photos of the cockpit when you made your model?

Will

• Like 1

• 3 years later...