PBJ Marine Mitchell

Greg in OK

I will be building a PBJ (Patrol Bomber North American) Mitchell for the GB.

If I can fine enough markings to replicate them, I will build a Mitchell from VMB-614, my Father-in-Laws group.

Although they were the last unit PBJ transfer to theater in WWII, he did spend his entire flying career in the Mitchell as a radio operator/gunner.

VMB-614 spent a large amount of it's time stateside working out kinks for the units already transferred to the front.  As such he flew in the PBJ with all the different radar positions (4 different spots, I believe), working out the Tiny Tim delivery system and any other "odds and mods" support they needed.

A link to their unit history can me found here   http://vmb614.com/index.html

Greg in OK

• Like 3

My salute to your father sir. The B-25 is probably my favorite medium bomber of WW2. It was incredibly versatile and modify-able. My favorites are the PBJ’s. I even spent 9 years building a PBJ-1H and plan on doing a J someday. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2

Welcome aboard, some interesting stuff there and some nice pics.

I hope you can find the decals as that would be a great tribute.

will look forward to your build

Simon 

On 30/03/2018 at 9:37 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

My salute to your father sir. The B-25 is probably my favorite medium bomber of WW2. It was incredibly versatile and modify-able. My favorites are the PBJ’s. I even spent 9 years building a PBJ-1H and plan on doing a J someday. 

Dennis

Hi Dennis

To spend 9 years building a model is an amazing commitment  :worthy:

I'll never complain about not completing something in a few weeks or months again !

cheers Pat

Hello @JOCKNEY 

Thanks Pat ... It was one of those projects i knew i had to finish someday. It was my original “Unicorn model”. One of the major delays was i had only a single poor photo of the plane i was building. This was in the days before the internet. But i happened across a copy of the “Marine Mitchells” book which allowed me to get several quite good photos to complete the project. I should post some photos of this model someday.

Oh by the way it no longer holds the record for my longest build. I have an RAAF PBY-5 to claim that title. i started that in 2003 and its still not finished because i took 10years off and also need the Roundels and codes in 1/48th. That and lack of display space are delaying the finish of that project.  

Dennis

• Like 1

Hi Dennis

Please post the photos of the PBJ I'm sure I can speak for everyone on here that they would be very well received.

I am rather embarrassed to say I can comfortably beat your 10 year break by a good margin. I recently completed an Airfix Boeing Clipper, that I started in 1976, it having been gathering dust in my parents loft until it's recent rescue, so that's a 40 year build using just the start and finish date !  :blush:

I would be delighted to be beaten by someone else here on BM. I certainly can't beat it again unless I get reincarnated   ;)

cheers Pat

• Like 1

On 01/04/2018 at 3:04 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Oh by the way it no longer holds the record for my longest build. I have an RAAF PBY-5 to claim that title. i started that in 2003 and its still not finished because i took 10years off and also need the Roundels and codes in 1/48th. That and lack of display space are delaying the finish of that project.

You are clearly a man after my own heart Dennis, I've got a Kingtiger that I started about fifteen years ago that will soon be returning to the bench.....My projects are never abandoned, just put aside for a span, while I contemplate them.  :P

• Like 1

• 2 months later...