The Worst Ferrari F1 Car

Hi everyone,

It's been a while since my last post and it's about time I get back on here.

Today I'm sharing a build that just finished up a couple weeks ago. It's Fujimi's 1/20 Ferrari F92A (reboot of an old Modeler's kit). The Ferrari F92A was Ferrari's challenger for the 1992 F1 season. And it was one hell of a challenge. Equipped with an ill-designed active suspension and experimental aerodynamics, the car proved to be an absolute handful. The drivers were Ivan Capelli, an up-and-coming young driver, and Jean Alesi, a man no-one in the paddock could argue lacked talent. Both drivers struggled mightily, to the point that it derailed Capelli's career. Both drivers would later say it was the worst car they every drove. Alesi took 2 podiums to Capelli's none, and Ferrari limped to a distant 4th in the championship. 

The kit is a nice, basic affair that yearns for more detail. I started with carbon fiber decals from Scale Motorsports covering the floors and wings. I also added cigarette decals from Tabu and used the kit decals for the rest of the car. Wing wires in the front and rear driveshafts were made from metal rod. I added some detail to the cockpit with a set of Eduard's pre-colored photoetch. It's a lovely product and I will use this much more often. The exhausts were lacking in detail and the airbox was lacking in existence, so both were covered by 3D printed parts from Shapeways. They were nice to work with. A little sanding and Tamiya primer and they were good to go. Extensive wiring and plumbing was done with solder and various sizes of fishing wire. Body paint is TS8 from Tamiya, while the rest of the car is finished with Vallejo acrylics. 

Thanks for looking!

Jake

zONXguH.jpg

djhUJZb.jpg

99sQHS5.jpg

qXZ2jbE.jpg

deiYUxA.jpg

1Bd3IvG.jpg

• Like 15

Beautifully executed model.

Not sure it was the worst F1/world championship Ferrari though: there's some competition there. Poor Ivan Capelli was pretty much established as a driver by then: F3000 champion, impressive showings for Leyton House, things would have been different if he'd joined a different team. A talent wasted.

It might be their worst car (and I remember that season and the trainwreck it made of Capelli's career), but you've made a great model of it.

Very nice modelling but far from the worst F1 Ferrari.  The 1973 B2 / B3 and the 1980 312T5 spring to mind as far worse performers.  And certainly the "double floor" concept was tried again by Ferrari on the F310 and Torro Rosso on the STR6.

Also very interesting to know it's been rereleased by Fujimi seeing Modelers kits are so hard to find these days at least in this neck of the woods.

• 1 month later...