H builds “The RAF and me” The Jet Provost

To quote Uncle Albert, “during the war”

My grandparents where based at RAF Linton on Ouse, my grandad was a Royal Engineer repairing the runways after ze Luftwaffe had visited. My grandma was a WRAF and worked in the tower as a radio operator, she had trouble seeing the end of her nose but had a very clear voice over the radio. My grandma was a bit rebellious too, wearing a skull and cross bones on her uniform, scrumping apples, and when she didn’t have enough leave after her marriage before my granddad was sent off to Burma, she went awol for 24hrs and hoped she wouldn’t get caught climbing over the fence to get back on camp. For some reason she had fond memories of the guard room, and many stories of “ this one time on jankers”

In the late eighties my dad arranged with RAF Linton on Ouse a trip for them back to the camp to celebrate there wedding anniversary. They were treated to a tour of the station and flight line to see the Jet provosts and time in the memorial room. They were even on the local Yorkshire tv news, funnily enough with my grandma appearing from the guard room. 

My my own connection to Linton on Ouse during my time in the RAF was limited to four visits in my last ten years, mostly to road move Tucanos and collect one that “ crashed” on the airfield. One trip was to remove the old JP gate guard and relocate it to outside one of the sqn buildings and deliver the new Tucano gate guard to the paint shop. 

I plan to build the new Airfix JP in proper trainer colours based at Linton on Ouse. 

Pics to follow

Edited by Hockeyboy76
  • Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Take care with the Appliance white as the general consensus is that it goes on too thick and spoils all the lovely surface details 

Colin 

• Like 1

On 7 April 2018 at 4:47 AM, Hockeyboy76 said:

Looks like a JP

resized_26253398-a9ed-4ca0-b1a2-7fb02b7b

Looking at those instructions H, I cant wait to see where you gonna place those nose and tail turrets?? 

The new Airfix JP is a lovely kit. Airfix did miss a few lumps and bumps on the top fuse just behind the canopy so you may want to check some references and see what to add. If your not building either of the kits schemes, also check your serial to see if the particular aircraft is actually a JP.4. If so, the lumps are slightly larger than the JP.3 and the Hori stab outboard edges do not have the notch as featured on the Airfix kit. On the other hand, if these minor issues don't bother you, just build the damn thing OOB and marvel at its beauty. It really is a great mojo reviver and a kit that every modeller should build at least once in their lifetime. 

Cheers.. Dave. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Looking at those instructions H, I cant wait to see where you gonna place those nose and tail turrets?? 

I left the tail pipe off to fit the rear turret, for the front I was thinking of leaving the canopy open and sitting it next to the co-pilot😂🧐

Edited by Hockeyboy76
  • Haha 1

On 4/27/2018 at 12:10 PM, Colin W said:

Take care with the Appliance white as the general consensus is that it goes on too thick and spoils all the lovely surface details 

Colin 

The Appliance White has gone on well, but thanks for the warning. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/27/2018 at 12:30 PM, Rabbit Leader said:

Nice application of white there H, however looks nothing like the Hurricane paint plan below!! 

Cheers. Dave. 

No wonder I was struggling to paint it Dave,

hope this sorts your OCD

resized_d4ed511e-b233-4ad6-b8df-88430cf8

21 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

Good to see this happening, I was getting worried you were a bit quite.

Yes, unfortunately a new job has got in the way of my modelling time. Starting at 0430 really takes it out of you. I didn’t even know there was a four thirty in the morning, even when serving that was still sleeping time. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Yes, unfortunately a new job has got in the way of my modelling time. Starting at 0430 really takes it out of you. I didn’t even know there was a four thirty in the morning, even when serving that was still sleeping time. 

Oh, that's a cruel hour H, especially if you are driving - good luck with the new job :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

I thought that it was only Lactose Delivery Operatives and cats that were out at that time. :winkgrin:  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

Oh, that's a cruel hour H, especially if you are driving - good luck with the new job :)

5 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

I thought that it was only Lactose Delivery Operatives and cats that were out at that time. :winkgrin:  

Cheers guys, yes to driving, luckily it’s only 3 or 4 days a week (my choice) and I’m home every night. There’s  a lot of us Truckies out at that time, the Lactose Delivery Operatives are still tucked up in bed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 1 month later...