Eduard Spitfire Mk IXc

After a rather protracted battle with a Special Hobby Avia B-33 which involved a lot of filling, sanding, groaning, and some useless landing gear attachments - I needed a pick me up. 

I thought Eduard's Spitfire would do the job. And it did. It's a lovely kit to build, with lots of detail, and all the usual Eduard extras - canopy mask, photo-etch, lovely full colour instructions. I went for a desert Spit for variety - but had forgotten how challenging I find desert schemes. They always look rather toy-ish to me, and as a result I went a bit overboard on weathering...

Was the usual oil wash, followed by some post shading and fading which I think in certain portions went too far and resulted in the 'quilted' look. Then I brushed on a top coat of slightly watered down Vallejo satin acrylic varnish before applying some dust effects on the landing gear and area of footfall on the wing roots. 

I also had a mishap with one of the roundels which managed to attract an errant bit of masking tape... I decided to cut some rectangles from spare decals and told myself it looks sort of ok, and like some hasty patching in the field. 

Anyway - I fully recommend the kit, goes together very nicely. 

Thanks for looking - all comments and criticisms most welcome! 

7szUvvM.jpg

aPnevSp.jpg

iBjrJVh.jpg

zG1bklf.jpg

FsEn2OM.jpg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Darby said:

Thank heavens; not a red/white/blue roundel in sight! I always prefer to see these in US or French markings.

Darby, please make one of your next purchases a pair of spectacles or a stronger prescription to those you already have, what's that under the port wing?

Bruce, which scale is this? 1/72nd or 1/48th?  Either way you've done a good job there :thumbsup2:

1 hour ago, Wez said:

Darby, please make one of your next purchases a pair of spectacles or a stronger prescription to those you already have, what's that under the port wing?

Bruce, which scale is this? 1/72nd or 1/48th?  Either way you've done a good job there :thumbsup2:

Hi Wez - This is the 1/48th... It's a real joy to build. 

1 hour ago, Darby said:

Thank heavens; not a red/white/blue roundel in sight! I always prefer to see these in US or French markings.

Yes! I nice change from the last few I built. French one next time! 

1 hour ago, Wez said:

Had my telescope held to the wrong eye. Just have to watch for French snipers skulking around top gallant now.

1 hour ago, keith in the uk said:

Nice job , :yes: looks pretty good to me , what colour have you used for the cockpit interior ?

Thank you! I used a rattle can made by Molotow. The colour is Fern Green. It's a bit too dark / vibrant really but usually comes up ok after some weathering and some brushed on paler shades of green. 

15 hours ago, cocky05d said:

Very nice ,what paints did you use?

Thank you! I used Tamiya rattle cans - dark earth, dark yellow, and intermediate blue. Molotow fern green for interiors, and citadel rattle can primers for black parts.