1/72 Zeros - Tamiya vs FineMolds' shape

warhawk

Hello,

While researching the most accurate A6M to buy a ton of in 72nd,  I came across two conflicting articles:

1. Article at Aviation of Japan blog, which states:

Oleg wanted to know if the Fine Molds kit is still the best 1/72 Zero

and discovered that the Tamiya kit appears to have some problems

with geometry around the cockpit compared to the drawings in the FAOW book.

In Oleg's opinion, although the Tamiya kit has some finer details, the Fine Molds kit is still better

6107890IMG_20141130_194643.jpg

2. Article at Flat Spins and Milk Runs, which states:

Both models capture the contours of the Zero effectively,

and it comes down to nit-picking to determine a winner here

It seems we fave a bit of conflicting info on our hand, so i would like to ask if anyone has both Tamiya and Finemolds A6M2s (and/or A6M5s) in 72nd, to compare the shape of the fuselages.

Thanks in advance,

Aleksandar

The only “accuracy issue” that I’ve seen discussed with either kit, is the under-sized cowl diameter on the Fine Molds A6M5. This is quite noticeable to my eye, when comparing to photos of real aircraft (or the Tamiya A6M5). Otherwise, few would argue that both manufacturers’ series of Zeros are among the very best 1/72 kits of WW2 fighters ever produced.

The Fine Molds kits have more parts, and a bit more internal detail in general. But the Tamiya kits are also superbly detailed, and have practical advantages in terms of price, availability, and aftermarket accessories in most parts of the world—to the best of my knowledge, the FM kits are available only as part of the odd “package deal” with issues of “Model Graphic” magazines.

I believe I’m correct in saying both manufacturers have done the four main production variations of the airframe (A6M2, A6M3 with long and short wings, and 4-gun A6M5). But neither has done the A6M2-N floatplane, later up-gunned A6M5 variants, A6M8, two-seat trainer variants, or other less common versions. You will have to look to the older Hasegawa kits, limited-run manufacturers, or the aftermarket for those.

The drawings in the Maru Mechanic issues on the Zero, or in some more recent publications by Model Art and Bunrin-Do, are in my opinion much more useful than those in the older FAOW.

Edited by MDriskill

Thanks for the information. The drawings used in the picture above do indeed look old and/or photocopied (which might have skewed the dimensions a tiny bit).

But how could FineMolds produce a kit with the under-sized cowling, when they set to make "the ultimate Zero" from the start (as it was advertised)?

Actually, A6M2 from FM is very good model. Although I love Tamiya's products,  I wish FM release theirs as regular box kit. Just to compare. 

As for FMs A6M5 I've also heard that there are some shape issues. 

Hasegawa new generation Zeros are respectable models however suffer from very shallow wheel wells and spartan cockpit. Both FM and Tamiya are far better FM suffering from slightly undersized cowling on A6M3 and A6M5 and don't build without effort. There is no contender to current Tamiya Zeros.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2018 at 6:50 AM, Vanroon said:

While I have FMs A6Ms my only other Zekes are Hasegawa A6M2 and A6M5. 

I need to dig them out and make comparisons. Does anyone have an opinion of the Hasegawa Zeke?

Grant

Link to my A6Ms, if it works

I have a soft spot for the Hasegawa kits. The lack of internal detail is quite noticeable compared to the newer kits, and they have been criticized for minor accuracy issues with cowls and canopy (IMHO, VERY minor), but really they look just fine when assembled.

They have thin, crisp moldings with fine surface detail, are simple kits that build easily, and here in the US at least you can find them cheaply at online sales, show vendor tables, etc.

Hasegawa offers 8 different variants (A6M2a, A6M2b, A6M3 type 22, A6M3 type 32, A6M5a, A6M5c, A6M8, and A6M2-N “Rufe” floatplane). They went to great lengths to get the external details of these correct down to the last panel line, too; the series includes 7 different wings, 4 different fuselages, and 6 different engine cowlings. Neither Tamiya or Fine Molds has done the A6M5c, A6M8, or—most importantly, the Rufe—by the way.

For a detailed individual contest model I’d definitely use Tamiya or FM. But as a quick build for the shelf, or for a collection of Zeros that have the same “hand” to their look (and don’t need to be super detailed), Hasegawa is still a great choice.

Edited by MDriskill
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have all the variants of the Hasegawa and Tamiya kits with the exception of the Tamiya rounded-wing A6M3. I also have the clipped-wing FM A6M3. I think all these kits are superb to be honest. They are accurate, detailed and all of them are shake 'n bake.

The Hasegawa kits have the lowest parts count but the majority of the difference is in the cockpit, which is fairly spartan. However I don't notice this once I have completed a kit so it's not an issue for me. Surface detail is very good but slightly less than on the Tamiya kits, but on par with the FM kits I would say. Biggest selling point though is the price. It's easy to get these kits for under a tenner and sometimes for a fiver. Hasegawa also do a number of subvariants that FM and Tamiya do not do.

The FineMolds kit probably has the best cockpit but it's a close race with the Tamiya. Surface detail not as good. Of course the major issue is availability, it's an expensive import item if you can get it at all.

Tamiya's kits are without a doubt some of the best 72nd kits out there. Simply perfect, lovely surface detail, amazing fit. They are pricier than the Hasegawa kits but more affordable than FM and easy to acquire.

Edited by sroubos
  • Like 1

a few years ago i built 3 A6M2's...the FM kit the Tamiya one and the airfix new release..i found them all lovely kits in their own way,the airfix kit was for the money at the time an amazing buy and builds really well but may have shape issues...the tamiya kit though is on anaother level but was more that twice the price(well worth it though) and the FM one was and still is my favorite...i didnt have one of the newer hasegawa A6M2's to compare so i did the LTD A6M8 it is also a very nice kit but in my eyes falls below the other 3.

I have heard it said that the Airfix A6M2 is bloated in the fuselage, especially around the cockpit.  I think I can see what people mean.  Is it obvious when you comparing the Airfix kit side by side with the FM and Tamiya ones?

5 hours ago, Seahawk said:

I have heard it said that the Airfix A6M2 is bloated in the fuselage, especially around the cockpit.  I think I can see what people mean.  Is it obvious when you comparing the Airfix kit side by side with the FM and Tamiya ones?

it does look a little fat....but not too bad i'll take a pic of the 3 tomorrow and post it.... i my mind if you wanted one A6m2 and didnt have the budget for the tamiya one it's fine.....buy it self you cant see it being a little fat....even with the other two in my mind it doesn't look to bad....unlike some of the older kits...ive built 2 airfix Zeros and have another in the stash...to me if you want accurate the FM one is hard to beat,the tamiya one is BLOODY close and an easier build but the airfix kit is far from embarrassed.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1