Mr Cheap Potatoes* builds a Hunter

I want to practice airbrushing a camouflage scheme on something cheap, so I've got a MisterCraft Hunter for less than £6.

P3300461.jpg

There are some issues with the intakes and the jet pipe will need drilling out, but it looks like a Hunter so it'll do for the purposes of what is basically a paint test.

P3300462.jpg

P3300463.jpg

P3300466.jpg

* Mr Cheap Potatoes is a reference to the name given to the excellent travel writer Tim Moore by his family, because he can't resist a bargain.

Edited by Harry_the_Spider
  • Like 4

Hmmm... first impressions aren't great.

The cockpit seems to be designed for Douglas Bader. I'll paint it black, and stick some belts on the seat. There isn't an instrument panel. It is buried in the fuselage anyway, so you won't see it.

I'll cobble together a gun sight out of some spare clear.

P3300479.jpg

I'll sort out the intakes with a bit of plasti-card. Another first for me.

P3300480.jpg

P3300483.jpg

P3300481.jpg

P3300482.jpg

Most alarmingly the plastic is extremely "melty". Not sure how it will respond to filler.

I'll do a test on a decal too to see how that holds up. If it falls apart then the kits may be destined for the bin.

I don't mind wasting a fiver, but I'm not going to put 3 week into it only for it to be ruined at the last stage.

• Like 7

Thanks. This kit really is a dog, so I won't waste a good set of decals on it.

I've got it masked, primed and filled. But my daughter has pinched my laptop so I can't put any pictures up.

Think I'll have a go at doing the camo free hand. There is nothing to lose.

Edited by Harry_the_Spider
  • Sad 1

Some paint on and a coat of clear before decals. 

Did the camo free hand. Will try with masking tape also.

P4020504.jpg

P4020505.jpg

P4020506.jpg

P4020507.jpg

P4020508.jpg

Not happy with the shade of green. Will put it right for future projects.

• Like 2

...and the decals are OK! Yay!

They were a little bit "lively" off the paper but they survived me prodding at them with a cocktail stick.

I take back everything that I've said. If MisterCraft are looking your a brand ambassador I'm yer man.

I just built this and it's in the Hawker GB gallery...what a piece of junk of a kit, but for 6€, who cares?  Mine turned out alright, as has yours.

...and yes, my decals exploded after 30 seconds of being wet!

The damn thing has actually got me to start caring about how it will turn out. Which is some turnaround from yesterday.

Most of the decals are on without too many "explosions". Quite pleased with the cutting around the undercarriage doors as that was all eyeballed.

Bit of a paint touch up here and there. Bung the wheels, doors and outer stores on. Coat of semi-gloss and some light weathering,  then I can sign it off.

P4020509.jpg

P4020510.jpg

• Like 5

This is the next best thing to a slog! What we do not do in the name of Fun...

But you are winning, so could it be that perseverance does indeed pay off? 

Keep having fun!

JR

2 hours ago, Beard said:

think the Mistercraft Hunter is actually the Frog mold.

Edit: it is https://www.scalemates.com/kits/204140-mistercraft-d-201-hawker-hunter-f-mk-6

Scalemates have that wrong. The ZTS/Mistercraft kit is not the same tooling as the FROG kit - I've got both of them and there are significant differences, like the cockpit and the size of the tailpipe. The FROG kit has raised panel lines and the ZTS has recessed ones.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Beard said:

think the Mistercraft Hunter is actually the Frog mold.

Edit: it is https://www.scalemates.com/kits/204140-mistercraft-d-201-hawker-hunter-f-mk-6

I think scalemates should be taken with a pinch of salt, dont believe all you read!!  I remember, on here, a similar topic such as this running in relation to the Mistercraft Javelin being a repop of the Frog Javelin

Mistercraft did issue a Javelin and everyone thought it was a repop of the Frog Javelin, mainly because Scalemates said so when in fact, it was a repop of the ZTS Plastyk Javelin FAW7....................same with this Hunter, I suspect this is a ZTS Plastyk repop of their Hunter kit, so, NOT Frog repops, but ZTS Plastyk Repops..............you never know, I could be wrong and it wont be the first time, I stand to be corrected.....................

• Like 1