Spanish Airforce through out the years

exdraken

not my photss, not related in any way, but those are great!!!!

From Buchons and H-111s, T-33s, Saetas,  F-86s, everything can be found here!

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/102595656723581890286

even some great and rare old USAF content!

scroll down a bit!

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/102595656723581890286/album/AF1QipP0KICL-iaVTuYPzE4CX5bwbYNK8lCDto9GcNm1

• Like 7

On 30.3.2018 at 9:51 AM, upnorth said:

Those are some great pics!

I'll be in Madrid the week after next and have the museum at Cuatro Vientos on my itinerary.

You lucky guy!

Definitely worth it!

Try to be early, you will need the time!

:)

Edited by exdraken

4 hours ago, exdraken said:

You lucky guy!

Deginitely worth it!

Its a great place. Get to The FIO area too if you can. There are some great machines in there. There should still be a number of Caribou wrecks around!

good luck.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

5 hours ago, exdraken said:

You lucky guy!

Deginitely worth it!

Yes, I noticed their hours are surprisingly limited given the size of the collection.

I also have to figure out the best way to get there without a car.

The father of an ex-girlfriend of mine was an engineer in Pollensa in the WW2 period and had lots of interesting tales about these machines, as well as the submarines he worked on at Port de Soller.. Sadly he didnt speak English and my Spanish/Catalan/French (his languages) is non-existent. I had to rely on my girlfriend interpreting!

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Haha 1

I completely understand you...my father speaks what I suppose to be spanish, but sometimes I've got to ask my mom to translate him...:lol::lol::lol:...well, he speaks very fast and uses lots of curses....

He's got lots of funny stories about his many years of deployment at Spanish Morocco, including a war....

Zdjęcie: Dornier Wall sale de Pollensa hacia el mediterráneo occidental

Can anybody comment this scheme? I see regular Spanish roundels AND black circles of Franco, marking "II" which  looks like a arabic nubmer (eleven) not Roman style ( 2), and it i repeated on side - but what times is it? I think that it is during Civil War (and thus the roundles are with pre-war violet insides) rather than after it, when the roundles would be with red insides... 

Cheers

J-W

We could  bet for an "under new management" example...the big roundels could be  the republican ones, with purple center circle. The smaller, inner ones, seem to black, like those used by the nationalists, wich seems very odd to me, because the common practice was to overpaint the original ones. The two black lines don't seem a number to me, but an unfinished pair of black lines instead, a recognition method widely (and wisely) used by the nationalists as well...

If that was a pre-republican plane, the roundels would have been the red/yellow/red, until they were replaced by the republicans in 1931.

But there's a definitive clue about the colour scheme: The Saint Andrew's cross in the tail......That leads me to be sure about the time frame: Surely a post war example, (post SCW, I mean), during the early forties....

The underwing circles are red/yellow/red, the fuselage roundels must be black with a red Arrows and Jokes (Falange Española emblem).....The colour was overall aluminium or light grey, probably similar to RLM77, but from spanish stocks, and matt black undersides.

Best regards....

ç

Edited by Artie
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just got back from Madrid and was thoroughly amazed by the city and by the museum collection at Cuatro Vientos.

I'm still going through pictures, but I'll definitely share some here soonish. not all of the hangars at the museum were open when I visited, but what was on view was amazing stuff and made the trip out there very worthwhile.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, upnorth said:

I just got back from Madrid and was thoroughly amazed by the city and by the museum collection at Cuatro Vientos.

I'm still going through pictures, but I'll definitely share some here soonish. not all of the hangars at the museum were open when I visited, but what was on view was amazing stuff and made the trip out there very worthwhile.

looking forward to your photos!

Madrid is always worth a visit ;)

you'd probably need to go back soon for visiting the other hangers !

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 1