RAF100 special tails. Don't get excited. No, really.

Truro Model Builder

6 hours ago, Britman said:

Regarding costs, I would presume and hope that manpower would be free and voluntary. 

Seriously ?  Where would the 'free' manpower come from ?  You can't just go down the mess on a Saturday morning and rope in a couple of guys, give them a brush each and a can of emulsion and let them crack on with it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PLC1966 said:

Seriously ?  Where would the 'free' manpower come from ?  You can't just go down the mess on a Saturday morning and rope in a couple of guys, give them a brush each and a can of emulsion and let them crack on with it.

Sounds more like the Army way of doing things :D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Britman said:

So there it is, who gives a stuff! Is that how the Reds/Blues and the BoB operate? I hope not.:coat:

So you think some bod ius grabbed out of the mess on a Saturday morning, give Blue, Red or Black coveralls and tolld to volunteer to fix aeroplane (But Chief, I'm Slop Jockey.....ooops, Cook).  

They are highly skilled, trained and motivated guys, not just some random bod giving their time for free...

I cannot believe that this is the case and that things have got so bad . Remember how the USN marked their Aviation Centenary. More so that the RAF was the first major independent Air force.

Is this the best that the UK armed forces can do? 

Have to say I quite like the 100 scheme, its clean and simple. Could have been a lot worse - no point in some airshow extravaganza thing with spitfires and camels all over it and all caps type which can only be seen properly from twenty feet away (sorry but that FAA anniversary scheme above is a mess). If every plane got it, now that would be a statement and would look very handsome all lined up - I agree just one of each type is a let down.

• Like 2

Nice thread there. Just one or two things to point out. As someone who has been responsible for getting a special scheme applied to a RAF aircraft recently I do have some insight. Each Aircraft are very valuable assets that need to earn its keep for the country. Each and every one of the special schemes require a Mod leftlet to be raised, this could take up to a month to complete and sign off. Yes painting has gone to station civilian contractors, most are ex RAF anyway. There time has to be accounted for as well. Finally moral in the Royal Air Force(not crabs, that’s like swearing) is at a quite low point, with personal only get the government 1% pay rise. After all who gives a dam about some extra markings on the side of the fuselage.  You as a modeller may do, but there is not many a service man is that interested.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, sammy da fish said:

Nice thread there. Just one or two things to point out. As someone who has been responsible for getting a special scheme applied to a RAF aircraft recently I do have some insight. Each Aircraft are very valuable assets that need to earn its keep for the country. Each and every one of the special schemes require a Mod leftlet to be raised, this could take up to a month to complete and sign off. Yes painting has gone to station civilian contractors, most are ex RAF anyway. There time has to be accounted for as well. Finally moral in the Royal Air Force(not crabs, that’s like swearing) is at a quite low point, with personal only get the government 1% pay rise. After all who gives a dam about some extra markings on the side of the fuselage.  You as a modeller may do, but there is not many a service man is that interested.

Thank you so much for your input. It seems good will is in short supply and my apologies to anyone miffed by my naievety.

• Like 2

On 03/04/2018 at 10:54 AM, noelh said:

Or maybe they'd do it because of the pride they have in serving in the Royal Air Force? 

Lmao.....think are from a bygone age mate.....most people in whstever armed force are intelligent people ....the days of forelock tugging have well gone....mostly

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Britman said:

Thank you so much for your input. It seems good will is in short supply and my apologies to anyone miffed by my naievety.

I concur ....the trouble that the special Olympic sea king cabin doors caused ( yes that was a navy sea king ....not army or air force that del8vered the torch) was way out of proportion to the paint job but thats the rules....and generally whether you like it or not it makes flying safer plus rules make aircraft configuration easier. The airman is just as keen as ever only times change just like society.

I know it may sound crazy to someone who has never been in the forces or were a while back ....no offence intended people.

Meanwhile crab ...swearing negers shipmate .....its a term of endearment ....sort of.;)

• Like 1