RAF100 special tails. Don't get excited. No, really.

Truro Model Builder

Looks like the first specially marked aircraft for the RAF's big do have broken cover. And, I have to say, it wasn't really worth it...

https://www.facebook.com/BritComMil/photos/a.649302131774646.1073742364.510006605704200/1751232884914893/?type=3&theater

Blimme.... another dismal RAF "special" scheme. As much as I appreciate that all of Britain's Forces are desperately struggling to stay afloat financially, I really feel that they could have put in more effort to celebrate 100 years of service...

Having said that, I've been told getting any kind of special scheme approved by RAF top-brass is like attempting to push a ton of treacle uphill! 

What'd ya'll reckon?

Chris. 

• Like 1

Personally I rather our armed forces have the bombs, bullets and bullied beef to do the job that they joined to do, don’t get me wrong I’d love to see the crabs celebrate such a big birthday as they rightly deserve but in this day and age where cash is tighter than a ducks backside we gotta think of the chaps on the front lines. We have to remember that our finest are not just around for PR purposes, they have a very important job to do where a difference of a few quid might mean that some poor Tom doesn’t get a set of body armour or kit that’s required on operations. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

It's better than nothing I suppose, but in light of the 100th anniversary, I would have thought that the RAF could have been just a little bit more adventurous with the paint brush.

We did have Typhoon GN-A in WW2 camo a while back, plus a similar scheme on a Tucano so maybe they are going to roll something out in the summer? Or today?

Alternatively, the RAF has so few aircraft these days, and those that it has are so heavily tasked that this is all we'll get. 

Here's a question though: when in its history did the RAF last have so few aircraft (676 by my reckoning, including trainers etc)? Or personnel (30,530 at 1 Jan 2018).

Give it a few weeks and I'm sure we'll see some more (perhaps more spectacular) schemes come along.

I'll eat a designated hat if we don't see anything else by the time that RIAT comes around!

Edited by cathasatail

On 3/29/2018 at 9:41 PM, Dads203 said:

Personally I rather our armed forces have the bombs, bullets and bullied beef to do the job that they joined to do, don’t get me wrong I’d love to see the crabs celebrate such a big birthday as they rightly deserve but in this day and age where cash is tighter than a ducks backside we gotta think of the chaps on the front lines. We have to remember that our finest are not just around for PR purposes, they have a very important job to do where a difference of a few quid might mean that some poor Tom doesn’t get a set of body armour or kit that’s required on operations. 

You have a most valid point, though where that sits with £300,000 being spent on an RAF garden at the Chelsea Flower Show this year I'm not sure.

And sorry all but that IS the special marking for the Typhoon this year.

Edited by Truro Model Builder
  • Sad 2

No, why should it be. The talking heads decree there shall be fancy tails, they'll want them done to a professional standard, indeed they'll need to be done to a standard in line with a military jet paint job, so why should these guys volunteer their time & labour, I'll bet the bureaucrats that make these decisions aren't dipping into their pockets to buy the paint. Yes. i know that sounds harsh & to a degree I'm playing the devils advocate but if my boss wanted me to come in on my day off because he wanted the plant spruced up for a important visiter, he'd pay me for my time. In any case. I'd expect fancy tails would be done buy the guys who normally do aircraft painting, be they RAF or civilian contractors, in the course of their normal duties.

Steve.

3 hours ago, noelh said:

Or maybe they'd do it because of the pride they have in serving in the Royal Air Force? 

Most servicemembers I've ever met in the flesh – be they from any nation – seem to feel only retroactive pride once they've moved on.

4 hours ago, stevehnz said:

No, why should it be. The talking heads decree there shall be fancy tails, they'll want them done to a professional standard, indeed they'll need to be done to a standard in line with a military jet paint job, so why should these guys volunteer their time & labour, I'll bet the bureaucrats that make these decisions aren't dipping into their pockets to buy the paint. Yes. i know that sounds harsh & to a degree I'm playing the devils advocate but if my boss wanted me to come in on my day off because he wanted the plant spruced up for a important visiter, he'd pay me for my time. In any case. I'd expect fancy tails would be done buy the guys who normally do aircraft painting, be they RAF or civilian contractors, in the course of their normal duties.

Steve.

Appreciate your viewpoint Steve but my point was more akin to Bullshit  pride and can do.From what my Dad told me of his time in the RAF and working for the Americans at Manston in the fifties. This kind of opportuniy to make a mark would have been seized on in his day and for that matter my own when working in aviation. If this is the way it is going or gone than aviation is much the poorer for it.

• Like 2