Spitifre Pilot

Based on a character from the film Dunkirk, this resin bust was painted with Vallejo Acrylics.

Although I got it to an acceptable end product, next time I'll either use enamels or try Oils. The acrylics dried to fast, even with retarder. Ah well, we live and learn.

41055285092_37b8090dc9_b.jpg41055303152_e43bba613e_b.jpg26227415047_38f488e0f9_b.jpg

I've only just noticed I mounted this on the base 90deg out.... I wanted the end grain on the sides. 

• Like 10

Nice One Dave. Personally, I think I prefer the way you've mounted him. Looking down on him it gives the impression of forward motion with the grain.

Out of interest, which retarder did you use (and at what dilution)? I only ask cos I've just finished a large figure done almost entirely with acrylics and found no problems. FYI, I use Lifecolor acrylics and Liquitex retarder (at 1:20 dilution in de-ionised water).

Now.. when are gonna build the aircraft to fit him in??? ;)

Kev

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Bigdave22014 said:

All I used was Vallejo Retarder, which I normally use when spraying. Just added a drop or two depending on how much paint I had decanted.

That's strange, all the advice I've seen for Vallejo suggests that what you've done should slow the drying time enough for ease of use when brush painting. I use Vallejo colours occasionally but still use my Liquitex retarder (diluted, unlike Vallejo's retarder) with them and it does the trick.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Kev

• Like 1