B-25D Strafer, 18 Sqn, RNEIAAF, Batchelor AB Australia

Howdy Everyone,

Just managed to get some pic`s before the rain started of my latest effort: Academy`s reissue of Accurate Minatures 1/48 B-25 Mitchell kit.

cedoRxw.jpg

Completed to represent a Dutch B-25D Strafer, N5-143, based in Australia at Batchelor Air Base, July-Oct 1943

bzCBk6x.jpg

Used the Sharkmouth B-25G boxing as a start ( I already new most of the parts were in the box to do a `C` or `D` version from my `Little Joe` build )

72CYK3i.jpg

Mostly from the box but had to use the earlier style exhausts and modify the engine cowlings to remove the separate exhaust stubs and fill the dimples........

txu7rxx.jpg

........ make the rear most fuselage windows a bit smaller, add two small venturii either side of the nose and blast plates by the dorsal turrets.

42lyprp.jpg

I also replaced the nose and package gun barrels with brass tube, added some brake pipes and re jigged the aerial layout to suit.

a1au8Bk.jpg

Markings came from `Dutch Decals` and I used their `Dutch Profile` book as a reference.

LvtSLoY.jpg

Hope you enjoy, thanks for looking

Have a good Easter

Cheers Russ 

• Like 54

That is a lovely model Russ and I admire the way you photograph all your models with a background :)

• Like 1

Looks fantastic,..... I didn`t know that the Dutch used strafers,...... so I`ve also learnt something too.

Cheers

Tony 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, goggsy said:

That’s beautiful. Can I ask how you did the tonal variation on the panels, was it oils, pigment, or airbrushed?

Cheers Goggsy, it`s all hairy sticked, Humbrol Enamels and a pencil, done like this:

I painted the base colours, Humbrol 66 for the olive drab and 140 for the neutral grey, then drew all the panel lines in with a pencil, then gloss varnish and decals followed by matt varnish ( Windsor and Newton Acrylic ), then I dry brushed with a small cut off brush matt 66 into the panel lines on the underside to represent dirt and shadows. I also picked up the panel lines on the decals with the pencil.

The upper side I dry brushed green 86 into the centre of the panels with a small stiffish flat brush and worked it around with my thumb, then did various bits in the same way with slate grey 31, olive drab 155 and grey 64 going over the decals in some places. For the underside I did the same but with grey 64.

Then a couple of coats of matt varnish to bring it all together.

Glad you like it and thanks for your interest and looking, Russ

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello Russ,

Another Dutch plane today. Excellent setting and finish.

Regards, Orion / The Netherlands.

• Like 1

Beautiful work again Russ,you've made what could have been a dull scheme really stand out with that paint job.

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, russ c said:

Cheers Goggsy, it`s all hairy sticked, Humbrol Enamels and a pencil, done like this:

I painted the base colours, Humbrol 66 for the olive drab and 140 for the neutral grey, then drew all the panel lines in with a pencil, then gloss varnish and decals followed by matt varnish ( Windsor and Newton Acrylic ), then I dry brushed with a small cut off brush matt 66 into the panel lines on the underside to represent dirt and shadows. I also picked up the panel lines on the decals with the pencil.

The upper side I dry brushed green 86 into the centre of the panels with a small stiffish flat brush and worked it around with my thumb, then did various bits in the same way with slate grey 31, olive drab 155 and grey 64 going over the decals in some places. For the underside I did the same but with grey 64.

Then a couple of coats of matt varnish to bring it all together.

Glad you like it and thanks for your interest and looking, Russ

I’ve got to hand it to you, that has to be the best brush painting I’ve ever seen. I was impressed when I thought it was airbrushed, now I’m gobsmacked. Terrific work.

• Like 1