Pete's Airfix 1\72 B-25 Mitchell Desert Warrior

airfixpeter

IIRC, the various map and unit citation markings Airfix provides were added after Desert Warrior returned to the States for a sprucing-up and barnstorming PR tour.  I know this happened with a number of other notable USAAF ships, for instance the old Revell B-24D also had a decal for a giant nose art map of her service theatre.

I'd be tempted (actually, I have been tempted, as I just took deliver of two new Airfix B-25s) to model her with just the appropriate in service markings. Maybe posed on a desert-ish diorama base?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

IIRC, the various map and unit citation markings Airfix provides were added after Desert Warrior returned to the States for a sprucing-up and barnstorming PR tour.  I know this happened with a number of other notable USAAF ships, for instance the old Revell B-24D also had a decal for a giant nose art map of her service theatre.

I'd be tempted (actually, I have been tempted, as I just took deliver of two new Airfix B-25s) to model her with just the appropriate in service markings. Maybe posed on a desert-ish diorama base?

I think the markings for Desert Warrior were actually applied before she left North Africa as I'm sure I've seen pictures of her on a local tour before she left for the states.

It certainly looks like a very nice kit with lots of options.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Looking cool, much better interior than my thing.....Think you may have the co-pilot's seat mounted on its back facing upward (what is currently the back, should be the bottom).  :coolio:

I had to take a second look a my instructions just to make sure but that's the way it fits and what it says in the instructions40372679765_0f95fcede5_c.jpg

I stand corrected.  :oops:

In my defence, the proportions of the thing look very odd.....I've just looked at some drawings of the real thing and it seems that's how it actually was!  :o 

seat-jpg.282768

Apologies.  :sorry:

59 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I stand corrected.  :oops:

In my defence, the proportions of the thing look very odd.....I've just looked at some drawings of the real thing and it seems that's how it actually was!  :o 

seat-jpg.282768

Apologies.  :sorry:

No apologies needed even I had to take a second look anyway it's nice to have these little snippets of information.:yes:

• Thanks 1

Compared to my Italeri thing you could stick it in any old way and it would still both look better and be more accurate.....Every time I look at images of the Mitchell interior, then at Italeri's representation, I'm like:  :badmood:

• Like 1

WARNING this maybe a quick build as at the moment everything seems to be fitting like a glove despite the many pin marks but they won't be seen.

So here's some more bits in place and the interior is very well detailed.40381808285_141ac1d7bb_c.jpg40381808305_86056cdf57_c.jpg40381808265_6ba496f1bf_c.jpg40381808325_73bfc64380_c.jpg

• Like 4

Looking very good so far.

Did you have any trouble getting the tailplane to sit flush to the top of the fuselage?  The mould part lines were quite prominent on mine and needed some filing down to get a neat joint.

7 minutes ago, stever219 said:

Looking very good so far.

Did you have any trouble getting the tailplane to sit flush to the top of the fuselage?  The mould part lines were quite prominent on mine and needed some filing down to get a neat joint.

Not to bad I just needed a tiny bit of sanding  

38 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Blimey that's flying together.....I'm still hacking up lumps of plastic for my dorsal turret (any chance you could take snaps of the Airfix bits, I only get two dodgy guns and a tube).  :o

Which bits do you want pics off?

The dorsal turret please.....Mine is, to put it mildly, spartan.  :unsure:

Unlike tank references, where I know what the bits that I'm looking at are, I haven't got a clue with aircraft.....So something fairly simple that I can copy will do me just fine.

12 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

The dorsal turret please.....Mine is, to put it mildly, spartan.  :unsure:

Unlike tank references, where I know what the bits that I'm looking at are, I haven't got a clue with aircraft.....So something fairly simple that I can copy will do me just fine.

Sorry for the delay in getting the pics but here is airfix plans for the dorsal turret39549809930_ee4d4a8864_c.jpg39549809950_c23f8a420f_c.jpg39549809950_c23f8a420f_c.jpg39549809980_e2666ec101_c.jpg39549809990_6cfb711d55_c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cheers for the pics, it certainly looks like I've got some modifications to make.....Greatly relieved to see the telescope type gunsight, I had nightmare visions of trying to squeeze some sort of ring & bead madness in there.  ;)

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Cheers for the pics, it certainly looks like I've got some modifications to make.....Greatly relieved to see the telescope type gunsight, I had nightmare visions of trying to squeeze some sort of ring & bead madness in there.  ;)

Can't wait to see how you get on .