Tornado F.2 F.3 Early Decal sheet. Who wants one?

At Sea

I was thinking how nice it would be if XtraDecal made a sheet of early F.2 and F.3 schemes including the very fetching prototype to go with the 1/48 Tornado ADV kits out there.

Their 1/48 RAF Part 1 and Part 2 Tornado sheets and Tornado Stencil sheets are great.

So if anyone wants one let it be known here and I will email a link to this thread and hopefully get us noticed.

Cheers.  

F.2

Prototype, 229OCU

F.3

229 OCU, 25, 29, 43, 111 Squadrons.

Thank you.

• Like 2

Add 5 Squadron and 11 Squadron to that list. I'd also like to see some of the Squadron markings from the mid-1990s. Not necessarily special schemes, just regular line jets. Again, 5 Squadron, 29 Squadron and 11 Squadron would be my main choices.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Bobski said:

Add regular line jets. 

Yup, with the odd exception I prefer 'in service' rather than the show ponies.

• Like 1

Email sent...

I'll post the response if I get one.  

"Hello,

With the recent release of Revell’s Tornado ADV and the existence of some good kits by other manufacturers in 1/72 and 1/48 I was hoping that XtraDecal could repeat the excellent work that they did on the Tornado GR.1 decal sheets and make some for the Tornado F.2 and Tornado F.3 in UK service.

I know that there are some available already, but good representations of the early RAF ADV squadrons and the gorgeous prototype would be very popular, and would enhance sales of the Revell Kit from yourselves as well no doubt.

I started a thread on Britmodeller, and whilst hardly scientific, the fact that there are a dozen sets ‘sold’ over a bank holiday weekend show the demand that I am sure would ensue.

The work done on X48-134, X48-171, X48-138, X48-135 was so brilliant, I would love the same for the ADV.

Thanks and kind regards"
  • Like 2

On ‎28‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 11:18 PM, At Sea said:

I was thinking how nice it would be if XtraDecal made a sheet of early F.2 and F.3 schemes including the very fetching prototype to go with the 1/48 Tornado ADV kits out there.

F.2

Prototype, 229OCU

I wonder if there would be space for the markings for ZD935 when the aircraft was operated by the Empire Test Pilots School ?

• Like 1

On 04/04/2018 at 9:41 PM, Richard E said:

I wonder if there would be space for the markings for ZD935 when the aircraft was operated by the Empire Test Pilots School ?

Those are actually available on X48003.

xtradecal-x48003-panavia-tornado-gr-1-f2

• Like 1

On 28/03/2018 at 11:18 PM, At Sea said:

Their 1/48 RAF Part 1 and Part 2 Tornado sheets and Tornado Stencil sheets are great.

So if anyone wants one let it be known here and I will email a link to this thread and hopefully get us noticed.

Cheers.  

F.2

Prototype, 229OCU

F.3

229 OCU, 25, 29, 43, 111 Squadrons.

Thank you.

If theres a space on the sheet for some RAF Typhoon 2(AC) Sqn decals, thatd be great.

Hey, you gotta try, yknow? :)

Im assuming all the FG/Rs are built now?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Any news on this? Anyone know who actually owns the Xtradecal brand? They're printing some amazing sets in 1/72 but I'm baffled why they're not offering upscaled versions also. Not just the Tornado stuff but the sets they are producing for the Airfix Phantom would go great on the Hasegawa kits. :confused:

2 hours ago, Nocoolname said:

Anyone know who actually owns the Xtradecal brand? ................. baffled why they're not offering upscaled versions also  ..........   Not just the Tornado stuff but the sets they are producing for the Airfix Phantom would go great on the Hasegawa kits. :confused:

1.  Hannants.

2.  There was a response recently on a modelling forum setting out the case for commercial decal production and it came down to commercially viable production runs and minimum sales for any specific  sheet with decisions based on previous experience of what will and what will not sell in sufficient quantities to make a project worthwhile.

3.   Some of their UK Phantom decals have been upscaled and recently released in 1/48 scale.

On 5/20/2018 at 10:19 PM, At Sea said:

No response to me yet.  But I live in hope. 

Patience, patience. Just give them time. 

I emailed them enquiring about re-releasing a particular set Hawk markings three years ago and I'm still waiting for a reply. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hannants have two Xtradecal 1/48 Tornado F3 sheets listed in the Future Release section on their website. No details as yet as to what schemes will be on them.

Edited by Scarlet
  • Like 4

I e-mailed Hannants last week to see if they would consider doing a 1/48  decal sheet for the Revell F.3 kit and had a very nice reply from David Hannant the following day.  Thanks for listening David...a few days later two sheets appeared in the future releases.  Nice one!

• Like 1