Malta Spitfire V's

This is the Sword 1/72 Spitfire Vc as inspired by Osprey "Malta Spitfire Aces" (#83).

Of the construction, I only had some trouble getting the canopy on right; for some reason the rear fuselage was a bit too wide, but it may stem from my selfmade cockpit floor. Another thing is the tail wheel, which I find odd shaped. The kit is definitely a shortrun job and requires an extra bit of care to assemble, compared to Tamiya stuff.  

First one is BR190 Ao2 flown by Flt Sgt Paul Brennan RAAF. This is in overall Extra Dark Sea Gray overpainted desert scheme over Sky Blue, 

38Tyc7lu_o.jpg

RBunSReo_o.jpg

djyme0s8_o.jpg

Jdhruayj_o.jpg

The second is BR387 GLoW as flown by Plt Off John "Slim" Yarra RAAF. This is in overall Extra Dark Sea Gray over Sky Blue.

TemnEOtX_o.jpg

v0dgwfVE_o.jpg

7FlV2CUm_o.jpg

Me1xx2he_o.jpg

Ej3M9H63_o.jpg

Fun project and a welcome change from OG/DG/MSG that is the common fare for so many Spitfires.

/Finn 

Edited by FinnAndersen
image host update
  • Like 36

I have a copy of said book and am very impressed by both of your Spitfire kit builds. Well done.

Now please take this as just a possible suggestion, however if one considers Malta’s fairly harsh environment, I would think that both the wheels and prop blades would look better painted in shades of grey rather than black. 

Once again - we’ll modelled. 

Cheers.. Dave

Great work on those Vc's!

Have wanted to get one (or more) of the Sword kits, but they're hard to find these days.

Love the exhaust staining and the fuel spill marks from the reserve tank (at least I think it's the reserve).

:goodjob:

8 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I have a copy of said book and am very impressed by both of your Spitfire kit builds. Well done.

Now please take this as just a possible suggestion, however if one considers Malta’s fairly harsh environment, I would think that both the wheels and prop blades would look better painted in shades of grey rather than black. 

Once again - we’ll modelled. 

Cheers.. Dave

Point taken, they are a bit too pristine.

Just finished to re-read this same book.

What these pilots achieved in Malta is not very far of superhuman. Your builds are a fitting tribute to all of them.

Love your take on these two Spitfires.

Congrats

JR