S.E.5a spoked wheels

1943Mike

I'm currently building Roden's 1/48 S.E.5a Wolseley Viper. I bought an aftermarket detail set for it from Poland (JadarHobby) that seems to be very nice but includes spoked wheels. My limited research tells me that the S.E.5's used fabric to cover the spokes on the wheels (to keep out mud, stop the wheels from spinning, etc) and the Roden kit molds the wheel "covers" with fine raised lines representing the spokes behind the fabric. The effect, I think, is rather good. So, unless I hear from some of you knowledgeable folks who can tell me with confidence that many S.E.5a's in WWI flew without the covering on the spokes, I'll save the spoked wheel PE for another kit.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this query.

Thanks in advance from a fellow modeller across the pond.

Mike

26206878597_dd9f1ef69c_h.jpg

The company is called Part, from Poland, and they have a habit of including spoked wheels on every one of their otherwise nice WWI detail set they. Just ignore. I think I've seen just one photo of a coverless SE5a, and that was only the one wheel.. If I were you, I'd worry more about sticking something in the engine compartment. Just an aluminium coloured shape will do, because if you're of a mind to look from the underside you can see the lack of an engine quite clearly when the model is finished.

Paul.