We don't need no thought control...

A couple of years ago my job brought me to work in Berlin for a couple of weeks. On the only day off we had we decided to visit the city, the usual spots: Checkpoint Charlie, The Jews Memorial, Alexanderplatz, Branderburg Gate...and the Wall at the East Side Gallery.

Now, I really like Pink Floyd and on a section of the Berlin Wall there is a great graffiti of the inner sleeve of Pink Floyd's The Wall album...

When Takom come out with their series of Chieftains and I've seen the MK.10 with the Berlin Brigade scheme the idea struck me. The only problem I was a bit worried about tackle the quite difficult paint job...until now!

The idea is of a Chieftain driving past the section of the wall where the Pink Floyd graffiti is painted on while patrolling the street of Berlin.

To be honest I've started this project few months ago. I've build one version of the diorama already using BalsaFoam but I wasn't happy at all with the result and decided to start again.

It's my first diorama and I've been using/learning a lot of techniques 

The Chieftains is nearly done, needs only few more touches like fuel and exhaust stains, maybe some streaks as well. All the photos that I've found of this particular Chieftains shows not much wear on it.

It's mostly a OOB build but the tracks from Friulmodel, I've replaced the wing mirror bracket using some metal wire as I was keep broken the plastic ones, the antennas are made using stretched sprue and the stowage items from the spare box.

Figures are from Valkyrie Miniatures.  

w7ULohd.jpg 

m80Cz99.jpg

mLZtjGx.jpg

jNw6sEU.jpg

As I've mentioned I did tried to build the wall using BalsaFoam, a great product for carving but I wasn't happy with the result. So I start to look into alternative product to replicate the wall sections. First I've found that Uschi use to have in their catalogue a 1/35 Berlin wall kit but was a limited run and I couldn't find it anywhere. My research brought me to DioDump blast wall, great product moulded using plaster I guess, really realistic and doesn't need paint...I've got two sets,  sections all together.

Another personal challenge is to print my own decals of the graffiti, but this is for a future post...

9suk9sT.jpg

I've got few civilians figures: from Stalingrad a old woman with her dog and a business man, from MAIM the young couple (not sure if I will use the couple though...)

Also some road accessories: he two lamp post are from Verlinden Production (I probably will use only one of them), the drains and manhole cover from MacOne, all the rest are scratch build (sign, litter, power box...)

frHGQpZ.jpg

xiIjAfL.jpg

Next I will print the graffiti decals and work on the wall sections...

• Like 12

In the photo below my homemade decals sheet. It's the first time that I'm printing custom decals and took me few trials before get it right, both on normal paper and, unfortunately, on decal paper...:swear:

I'd split the graffiti in 6 parts, down to the wall section size. It worked out 4 parts for the PF graffiti plus 2 for the ones next to it...one for each side. Not sure yet if I will use the banner at the bottom as my diorama title...

I'd print the decals on Bare-Metal White Inkjet Decal Film, then I brushed Microscale Liquid Decal Film to protect them.

I did try to airbrush the Decal Film: too thick, get gluey using thinner or water, no good for your airbrush...:facepalm:

I did try to use Gloss Varnish to protect the decals instead of the Decal Liquid...another no...big no! As soon I put the decals into the water the ink dissolved...

Sc8jusy.jpg

And the first decal is on!

The wall sections are cast in plaster so a coat of Gloss Varnish is needed to get the decals conform to it.

Quiet happy with it, now time to get the other 5 done...

z4mOygE.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

As a Devout Pink Floyd Nut, and a huge fan of the Berlin Camouflage on the Chieftain. I must say this is a Beautiful idea .. Thanks for doing this. 

Dennis 

Same for me Dennis, for sure is going to be one of my favourite builds once finish...

A bit of progress on the wall.

Nothing has been glued together yet but it looks already much better to me then my previously attempts...the DioDump wall section are beautiful casted and I think that the decision to add sections of other graffitis on each end of the "The Wall" one is the right one. It give more points of interest to the overall wall...

I have try many times to make custom made decals work without success...I cannot seal them properly as the ink keep bleaching out every time I put them in water.
So I've decided to print the graffiti on normal printing paper and glue them to the wall sections using PVA glue. Once dried a coat of Matt Varnishes was applied.

I'm replicating the wall capping using half cylinder styrene profile...

The pavement slabs and curbs are resin moulded by myself using the amazing moulds from Diorama Debris...Still moulding slabs though, last batch is drying and I hope to carry on with the pavement soon...hopefully my years working as stone mason with my father when I was younger will help me to lay down a nice pavement :fingerscrossed:

1BdtJLc.jpg

• Like 10

• 4 weeks later...

Yose75, did it need to be so high? 🤔

See what I did there?

Only just found this thread. Great stuff. Superb Chieftain. Only the second one I've seen with this camo. Personally, I'd use paster for the paving slabs, and as for the wall sections, you should have made latex moulds of them so you could make plaster casts of those in the future.

You've found some great figures and street furniture there BTW,

Looking forward to seeing this progress.

Rearguards

Badder

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Badder said:

Yose75, did it need to be so high? 🤔

See what I did there?

Only just found this thread. Great stuff. Superb Chieftain. Only the second one I've seen with this camo. Personally, I'd use paster for the paving slabs, and as for the wall sections, you should have made latex moulds of them so you could make plaster casts of those in the future.

You've found some great figures and street furniture there BTW,

Looking forward to seeing this progress.

Rearguards

Badder

Thanks for your kind words and...Of course your suggestion's gonna help build the wall...😉

I will use plaster from now on also as I'm not happy with the resin and is too messy to work with...

You are right about make latex mould to build the wall sections but I'm not inspired yet to go down the road and make my own moulds. Just getting into diorama and scratch build and I will try in the future for sure. 

I'm happy that you like the street furniture as they are my first attempt to scratch build something like that. Only the lamp posts are aftermarket products

• Like 1

Just now, Yose75 said:

Only the lamp posts are aftermarket products

Even more kudos then!

Too late now, I suspect, but if I'd caught this thread earlier I'd have advised to put the whole street at a slight angle rather than dead straight across the dio. It just adds to the look of things, and especially for photographic purposes, by adding depth to the scene.

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder

• 4 weeks later...

Terrific idea and very well executed. I’ll look forward to seeing this completed, having visited Berlin when the wall was still up. I was just a child then, now I’m only a man.