Revell VW Samba 1/16

Still looking good.

As for not feeling like going outside to paint, I fully understand, particularly since I have to go outside to the garage to paint. But it's a good thing I think, as humidity can ruin a spray paint job, so avoiding doing the painting when it rains means you're more likely to end up with a nice paint - much better to my mind to have a delay in painting than have to start all over again

• Like 1

Thanks guys. 

On 30/04/2018 at 22:23, Spiny said:

Still looking good.

As for not feeling like going outside to paint, I fully understand, particularly since I have to go outside to the garage to paint. But it's a good thing I think, as humidity can ruin a spray paint job, so avoiding doing the painting when it rains means you're more likely to end up with a nice paint - much better to my mind to have a delay in painting than have to start all over again

You're right @Spiny, and I did keep the humidity factor in mind as well! We have some nice weather coming so I hope I'll be able to get the body painted, inside and out, this weekend. I also copied your plastic spoon approach and am practicing my "finish" using Tamiya clear gloss spray and polishing compound. Probably not a good idea to try that out on the finished model 😄

51 minutes ago, mustang1989 said:

Jeroen: I really like where you're headed with this build. You sure are putting a lot of good work into it.

Thanks, well it's a lot of work for sure! We'll see if it's good once the whole thing has been completed 😋

But seriously, I'm learning as I go and because the kit is quite large there's a lot of things to be learned. I'm hoping the upcoming paint job will turn out ok! 

1 hour ago, JeroenS said:

Thanks, well it's a lot of work for sure! We'll see if it's good once the whole thing has been completed 😋

But seriously, I'm learning as I go and because the kit is quite large there's a lot of things to be learned. I'm hoping the upcoming paint job will turn out ok! 

Given the work that you've done so far I look forward to that.

Finally, a set of wheels!

20200207175722-39653a10-me.jpg

As you may have read earlier these things gave me a bit of trouble. I botched the spray paint job on the rims the first time, with way too much white paint, resulting in rims that where not even white for all the paint that was on them. While I was looking into methods of paint removal, I was also working on plan B and asked Revell in Germany if they would be able to send me spares, and if so, at what cost. The paint removal job went quite well, with a bit of help from a couple of you forum members. I set the now clean parts aside, waiting for Revell's answer. Well, they didn't exactly answer my query but one day a small package containing new parts was in the mail, at no cost at all. Thanks Revell! 

I could now set about painting some fresh plastic. Primed in grey as recommended, then on with my Tamiya matt white spray. I didn't spray too much this time but the result was still not to my liking. One IPA bath later and I'm quickly becoming an expert in paint stripping 😆

So, the plastic once again bare, I finally gave up on spraying and got out a trusty brush and a jar of silk matt white enamel paint. That settled the score in my favour. I chromed the wheel nuts using the Molotow (don't know why, they will be covered with hub caps anyway but still, I'll know they are there), and drilled out the holes in the spare wheel. Applied the "whitewall" decals to the tyres, and put them in my "finished parts" box for safe keeping until they are needed!

• Like 3

We had great weather this weekend so in between outdoor activities, bbq's  and some beers I managed to get the inside of the body panels done. Some chrome parts and things like arm rests will need to be added once the outside is done. 

20200207175722-de668b17-me.jpg

20200207175722-adf7aafb-me.jpg

• Like 1

Hi all, as today is a holiday and I didn't have anything else to do I dedicated today to painting the outside of the body. I had already done the front earlier on but that still left a sizeable amount of parts to paint. And to mask. The top of the parts were done earlier on as well, the insides were done last week so I needed to finish with the blue. 

I took my time masking the parts, but found it very difficult to mask the "bottom" of the white areas, it's a small ridge that has quite a sharp angle.

These are the parts, fresh out of "the paint shop" (ahum); they still need a little bit of work and some sanding and polishing. 

20200207175723-a0d5ba1a-me.jpg

I'm not entirely happy with the transition from white to blue. There was some bleeding of blue on white but not too much so that should be fairly easy to remove. However I'm more unhappy with the top of the blue parts, it's not a nice straight edge in some places as you can see here: 

20200207175723-c18e5924-me.jpg

and here:

20200207175723-3b25187d-me.jpg

As I said, I found the masking of this raised bit not easy at all. I'm a little unsure of how to go about improving it, especially since I'm fresh out of paint... the rattle can was empty just I finished the last piece 🙄... Unfortunately I don't think there's a "French blue" (TS-10) equivalent in a jar. 

Having said all this, I may sound a little grumpy but I am quite happy with the overall look, I like the colour very much and I think I've been able to get a decent result today. 

• Like 1

Aha, I did not know that (still soooo much to learn 🤓), but I found that you can decant the spray paint and use it as "regular" paint. So it's off to the shop for a can of blue and then I should be able to touch up the paint on my bus. 

So while I'm busy sorting the paint on the body panels (almost there!) I'm in a bit of a dilemma about bumpers... There's 3 sets of bumpers in the kit: 2 for the (more classic looking) European version (one of which has some chrome parts on it) and 1 for the US version which has a bit more of an off-road look to it. 

Here they are, with the US version bumpers on the right. 

20200207175725-e7ca0721-me.jpg

I was going to use the pair on the left, painted them white and all, but when I was about to add the chrome parts I found that one of the needed parts was AWOL! It wasn't on the sprue and I couldn't find it anywhere. I only took 1 or 2 parts off that sprue before, so haven't handled it much at all. I could ask Revell for a spare, but then again, I have 2 more sets. The US version does not appeal to me, I would like the more classic look. I was about to start painting the pair in the middle white, then an inner voice said "hey, you've got the Molotows, what are you waiting for?". So they're now completely chromed up. The body of the bus is not yet complete so I'm unable to dry fit them to see if I can get away with them, but I seriously like the look of them. I guess I'll have to wait a bit to see how they look on the model.

• Like 2

I think you can definitely 'get away' with the chrome bumpers - Danbury offer them as a cost option on their camper vans. If you want an idea for how they will look, the gallery tab in the link below might help. Granted they're the newer version of the T2 from Brazil (I think), but it should give a good idea. And they even have one in similar colours to yours😄

http://www.danburymotorcaravans.com/models/modeltype.aspx?modelID=1&modeltypeID=7

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Spiny said:

I think you can definitely 'get away' with the chrome bumpers - Danbury offer them as a cost option on their camper vans. If you want an idea for how they will look, the gallery tab in the link below might help. Granted they're the newer version of the T2 from Brazil (I think), but it should give a good idea. And they even have one in similar colours to yours😄

http://www.danburymotorcaravans.com/models/modeltype.aspx?modelID=1&modeltypeID=7

Those are some GREAT looking vans! But, wow, the prices! Anyway, I'm sold on the chrome bumpers. However mine are a bargain compared to the 1600 Euro for the ones on the option list 😆

That's a wrap for the painting of the outside... pheeww... Bit of a learning curve there but I'm happy now. 

20200207175734-f6047763-me.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Almost there, a final WIP update before I'm calling it done. After all the work on the body, it's starting to look like a bus now that I have the panels attached to the chassis. The front still needs some chrome parts, after I've added that part to the chassis I can put the roof on. The fit of the opening doors in the side is a bit off, so I'm hoping that with the roof on it will be a little better. Final stage will be glueing the 23 windows in place... 

20200207175725-e430781f-me.jpg

20200207175726-93194860-me.jpg

Strangely enough, photos I take with my phone show a darker blue. 

This is the actual colour:

20200207175734-81a26fa7-me.jpg

Thanks for watching and for the helpful comments along the way!

• Like 3

Hi Jereon!

I know Your name from another forum,just cannot remember which one! (I used to spend a lot of time on Hyperscale?) - Welcome to Britmodeller!!

Really great work on the 'bus, I have one of these very near the top of the 'To Do' pile, I want to recreate My first ever car, a 1958 Devon Mk3 Camper, 6volt, 1200cc engine in Mango Green/Seagull Grey (Wish I still had it!!😢)

It will be a big project:-

Scratch-built camper interior (Done with a few reference pics online and a failing memory😄!

Altered lighting - no indicators, just 'Semaphore' flag arms.

Fill-in all roof windows, side-rear windows and create a smaller rear door ('Tailgate') screen.

Fill in roof.

and last but not definitley least- convert to right-hand drive!!!  (I get a cold sweat just thinking about this, major body/dash surgery!😱)

Thanks for posting the tips about the build, following along and enjoying!

Keep Sticking!        Cheers,  Pete

Thanks for the comments on the bus Pete! However, this is my first ever forum so "you must be mistakin' me wit' some other guy" 🙂

The project that you have planned sounds very interesting, I would like to see your WIP once you get started!

Hi Jeroen!

Yep, I must be imagining things again ( Age!),with You saying You had got back into modelling again I thought that You might have posted elsewhere, no probs!

I will definitely be posting My camper build on these hallowed pages,maybe not for a while,wrestling with a large HMS Hood at the moment ( in the Maritime Section )

Keep Sticking!           Cheers, Pete

Hi all, just a quick update which may contain some useful intel for people with this bus in the stash. It's about adding the front panel to the chassis. The instructions call for this rather intricate move in step 61: 

20200207175730-4786fe30-me.jpg

@activexp also mentioned this in his WIP, and felt that in hindsight it would probably have been easier to glue the dash and steering column combo in place AFTER adding the panel to the chassis. So that is what I did, and I can confirm it was very easy to do it like that. 

What I also did was add the front doors to the front panel before glueing it to the chassis. As it is a rather delicate procedure I thought I would have more control over the hinge system. Well, that proved to be the case... on my second try to add the right front door 😣

On my first try I broke the hinge. I am quite proud of myself for keeping calm and walking it off 😄

So, a piece of advice: be very VERY careful! In the end, after some repairs, I slid the lower part in first because that part appears less sturdy than the upper hinge. Then, I very gently pushed the upper part in. Both doors were added in this fashion, then the front panel was glued to the chassis. Then I put the dash in, and last but not least I put the roof in place. 

Some hairy moments, but the construction is drying out now. I haven't yet dared to check how all the doors fit when they're closed....

20200207175729-0ab6774b-me.jpg

20200207175728-7c693b07-me.jpg

Thanks for watching.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, activexp said:

Nice! It looks just like mine 🙂

Thanks! I really liked your build, and your "brilliant blue" is quite similar to my "french blue". Unfortunately, like you I also ran into the issue with the front doors. Everything else fits and is correctly placed (as far as I can tell at least) but these doors just won't close... I'm thinking of "unhinging" them and somehow glue them in the correct manner. It's not like I'll be opening and closing them a lot once it's done. I don't like keeping them opened while on display, they're bound to break at some point I'm sure.

It's the side doors I had most trouble with. They overlap slightly and won't close even though I'm sure everything is located in right place.

• 1 month later...