This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

rockpopandchips

1/20 scale YT figure from Snow Crash.

Snow Crash is a science fiction novel by American writer Neal Stephenson, published in 1992, if you dont know it read it it is outstanding. YT is a skate board courier and im going to attempt to alter this Ma.k figure, i have made a start on her left arm and started messing with the start of a deck.

20180327_200828

The trooper is the other kit im working on at the moment. New arm posision pinned in place just need to move the fingers a tad more.

20180327_202211

Posted (edited)

TYT is now pinned together, just moved both arm out from the body and he is now giving the horned hand sign.

20180329_230023

I have allso had a think about adding pockets to YT's coveralls, i had a practice with paper on this 1/35 scale figure, Its ok for starters and a lot easier than using milliput. I think i might order some green stuff to try that as well.

I wet the paper with decal fix thet it dry on then brushed on a bit of paint.

20180329_230004

2018-03-30_09-27-15

Edited by rockpopandchips

Looking good, i like the idea of using paper not heard of that before, keeps it nice and thin for the scale too

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Hunter Rose said:

Looking good, i like the idea of using paper not heard of that before, keeps it nice and thin for the scale too

Cheers, yeh paper us new to me also but i have been looking at getting VMS paper stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbD09RqPmy4

Love the use of paper ( genius ) and like Hunter said it will have a nice fidelity in scale. Face looks good to me and the skin tones are lovely, a touch of black on the edge of the top and bottom lids will define them nicely if you can get in with a fine brush ( easy for me to say lol and it looks do-able in the pics but I know how tiny that area is in hand and it won't be easy ) her face will really pop once the hair is painted in and it all comes together. 

Looking forward to seeing more mate

Pete

Posted (edited)

Cheers Pete.

I gave your suggestion a go,

20180331_071823

You will have to let me know if you think its enough.

YT's deck is well looking a bit 80's so i think i will make her a new one, im thinking off a longer slimmer profile.

20180331_075145

Face looks good, and yeah i agree longer and thinner will make the board look better i think

Where's her Poon?  :shrug:

Not something I ever expeted to see as a figure.....Do they do Hiro too?  & Uncle Enzo? 

On 07/04/2018 at 10:40 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Where's her Poon?  :shrug:

Not something I ever expeted to see as a figure.....Do they do Hiro too?  & Uncle Enzo? 

Her Poon is in the making, the kit is Ma.K kit that im converting to look a bit more like YT....with a bit of luck......

After 2 weeks away from the man cave im back to it and i have repainted YT's head, i wasn't happy with how it looked and i have been catching up with some anime and manga, so i think that has had some influence over how she looks now.

2018-04-10_06-33-49

Great work.....Are you going to try to do anything with the 'smart-wheels' for her deck,?  Tricky but it would be cool if you could pull it off.  :coolio:

20 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Great work.....Are you going to try to do anything with the 'smart-wheels' for her deck,?  Tricky but it would be cool if you could pull it off.  :coolio:

I have thought long and hard but they are so small im not sure if i could. I have a set of normal looking wheels on the deck up a few posts but they are metal and difficult to cut, i did think about using lots of cut short clothing pin, with the round head making the outer smart wheels. Thats about the best and most practical i could come up with at the moment other than scribbing zigzag lines into the metal wheels.

Any idea's?

I was thinking stretched sprue on a plastic hub TBH.....Maybe use drops of white clue or CA to create the pads (or perhaps a bit of heat and a former of some kind)?  :shrug:

It's just about the trickiest thing I can imagine attempting to model TBH (How big are the wheels?), but if you can make it work somehow, suddenly the figure is firmly 'pinned' to the Snow-Crash milieu.

The wheels are about 6mm x 3.5mm. I might have a play later on with the pins and stretching some plasic or some resin glue.

The wheels are not going well............

But TY is getting close to being finished, a few things to clean up. using a brush again for all the painting was a steep re learning but im having fun with it.

20180414_094209_HDR

Not sure if im going to clean the lines up on the bag or paint over them. Really pleased with how the extra pockets jave come out.

20180414_094224_HDR

Looking good, the blue and orange is really great and i like the pink hair way better than the brown 

Posted (edited)

YT's had a satin coat and the her deck jas some very ordinary wheels......boooo!

Poon looks ok.

2018-04-16_06-14-31

I got a little side tracked, when i was picking up some new paint i allso picked up a tamiya 1/100 English Lightning, its a teribel kit lots gaps and flash but i really like the looks and sound of these.

2018-04-16_06-11-47