Nieuport 12 - 1/32 scratchbuild

Ted

Thanks Clive, that's a very useful link.

The Wikipedia page for the Nieuport 10 shows these images from Nieuport's patent. Between your link and these technical drawings I can probably fake it. :pirate:

Nieuport_10_aileron_patent_007Nieuport_10_lower_wing_patent_006

On another note, my book says that the Nieuport 12 was built with a transparent covering on the central bit of the upper wing, apparent in the photo below.

112e247bf28581e574bcabc32c37949c

Seems like a cool feature to try modelling - cool but way more difficult than using a solid piece of plastic with opaque finish like the original airplane at the museum in Ottawa:

nieuport12

I really hope that this airplane is displayed on the floor when I go to visit, not suspended 15' in the air. I guess I could get someone to distract the staff while I clamber up to the ceiling to take pictures of the cockpit.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Started on the middle bit of the upper wing. I didn't have any .03" plastic sheet so I cut up an old credit card. Plastic cement didn't touch it so I had to use thick CA.

IMG_7329

IMG_7330

I figured that the steel rod I use for the aileron controls could also support the wings. I bent and glued styrene rod for the lever arms, drilled a hole through the assembly and pinned it. I broke a couple of the spars so I'll have to repair them before painting.

IMG_7333

Next step is to figure out where the cabane struts line up with the upper wing and sort out attachment points. Also, I will need to add another steel pin aft to support the wings.

• Like 6

I also have to figure out what the transparent material was. Couldn't be a polymer, seems too transparent for fabric, I'll have to research what was available in 1916.

Then I'll have to sort out what I can use on the model. It has to be flexible to conform to the upper surface without wrinkling.

img_0886-800x

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Ted said:

Started on the middle bit of the upper wing. I didn't have any .03" plastic sheet so I cut up an old credit card

There goes your credit rating :D

Actually, a damned fine idea, definitely nicking that one. If I use the wife's, I'll save even more money! :thumbsup2:

• Like 2

Thanks John, I just looked up Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome because I hadn't heard of it. Definitely worth a visit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, clive_t said:

There goes your credit rating :D

Actually, a damned fine idea, definitely nicking that one. If I use the wife's, I'll save even more money! :thumbsup2:

After paying for the Evergreen sheets a couple weeks ago I think I'll look for alternatives. Seemed like too much $ for such small sheets. In the city we used to live in there was a good industrial plastic shop that sold large styrene sheets for reasonable prices.

• Like 1

The clear centre section might have been made from Parkesine. I found this on a plastics web site:

"The first man-made plastic, called Parkesine after its inventor Alexander Parkes, is revealed at the Great International Exhibition in London. Created from part of the cell wall of plants (cellulose), Parkesine was transparent, moldable and retained its shape when cooled. The material was touted as able to do anything that natural rubber could—but less expensively."

• Like 3

Thanks Clive, can't think of what else it could have been other than cellulose. I may try flattening out that Oyamaru silicone I used for moulding the wheels to see if it's flexible and transparent enough.

• Like 1

For clear plastic, I use the package material found on so many products such as batteries. The Nintendo figures had a clear plastic box that was perfect for molding canopies. The price is right as people are throwing the stuff away!

Garry c

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 5:58 PM, pheonix said:

Just found this - mind if I follow along as I too enjoy the challenges offered by scratch building and oyu have some first class ideas her. Some first class modelling too.

P

Thanks Phoenix, scratchbuilding is fun indeed. Just have to finish the 1/48 Eduard Pfalz I'm working on and then I'll be back to this model.

• Like 1