Magna Hawker Henley TT Resin challenge

Despite being old enough to know better, having recently found this kit again after I mislaid it, it seemed only right that I build it during this iconic GB.

This GB will no doubt be awash with other Hawker Henleys, so I'm afraid it just shows a distinct lack of imagination on my part. ;)

I haven't built a Formaplane vacform before, so this will be a first. Also I have an old Airfix Hurricane which I plan to use for parts to supplement the vacform parts. Fortunately the kit comes with scaled plans, so I can immediately see whether a part is suitable or not.

Heres the kit, which compared to a Rareplanes Supermarine 224 I built a while ago looks a bit more agricultural. However let's see how it goes. All tips, encouragement and Micky taking greatly appreciated 

cheers Pat

IMG_3816

IMG_3817

IMG_3826

IMG_3825

Edit :

As you will see from the thread below, I had originally intended building the Formaplane vacform version but will now be building the Magna resin version instead !

I have only ever built one resin kit before and never used metal parts so lots to learn !

cheers Pat

Edited by JOCKNEY
Change from vacform to resin
  • Like 8

6 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

This GB will no doubt be awash with other Hawker Henleys, so I'm afraid it just shows a distinct lack of imagination on my part. ;)

For sure, but hopefully not too many other TT versions.

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

First of all my apologies for the shocking lack of progress.

Being the owner of a good number of stalled builds already, I was determined not to start this build until I had a degree of certainty that I had all the parts to complete it. Hence my quest for a replacement canopy.

Well things have turned out in a completely unexpected but brilliant way. Instead of finding a replacement canopy thanks to an amazing fellow BM member I am now the proud owner of this !

IMG_3851

This allows the very rare opportunity to compare the same parts from the Formaplane vacform (left) against Magna resin (right) against Airfix Hurricane (grey on right)

IMG_3850

So do I build the Magna kit instead of the Formaplane for this GB, I can't do both (I'm ahead of you Enzo !) as it seems a shame not to let someone else have one of these in their collection. 

Thoughts ?

Cheers Pat

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

Thoughts? Go for the one you think you are most likely to finish

(Sorry, is that a daft idea? Forget I suggested it ...)

No, that's completely sensible... :idea:

• Like 1

LOL...I should have written..."silk purse in the making..."

Too bad you can't combine the best of both kits...or can you?  Make two builds...the best of both and the worst of both.  That would be fun!

• Like 1

I think if nobody minds, I'm going to build the Magna one.

I will be scratching my vacform itch in the Maritime GB when I resurrect the Contrail Blackburn Perth, that I abjectly failed with in the recent Flying Boats GB.

I have never used metal parts before so this will be an ideal place to start with the added bonus that if I make a completed 🐓 of things then the Hurricane might come to the rescue ! 

If there are are no objections from the moderators I will either rename the thread or start another one.

cheers Pat

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

Pat, build the one you want to and rename the thread as appropriate :)

Robert

(RAF 100 GB Moderator)

Thanks Robert

Thats the thread renamed, with an explanation of what's happened.

I think it's about time I started building something !

cheers Pat

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I reckon you should have had a go at the Formaplane vacuform!  

Here released from 33 years of storage a yet to be completed Formaplane Henley (with broken prop sometime during those 33 years and about half a dozen moves) 

42314415951_543046367b_z.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Rob

Looks the business mate, only 33 years, eh no sense in rushing !

I am traveling to Sweden tomorrow to work away for a few days. I am taking the resin one with me, with every intention of doing something on it while I'm away. Whether that happens or not is another matter.

If it turns out half as good as yours I'll be delighted 

cheers Pat

Time for an update.

Started off using my new saw from Aldi's, works a treat.

IMG_3892

Next up cleaned fuselage and cockpit interior

IMG_3893

Interior green added, instrument panel painted and starting to extract the prop from the metal flash surrounding the blades and boss.

IMG_3895

Finally given a dark wash, seat belts and control column to add, but at least some progress to report

IMG_3896

cheers Pat

• Like 3

Looking good Pat, how about some gunmetal paint for the cable on the drum to pick that out?

Ross

• Like 1

On 5/31/2018 at 8:20 AM, rossm said:

Looking good Pat, how about some gunmetal paint for the cable on the drum to pick that out?

Ross

Thanks Ross

I must find some interior pictures of this aircraft, I hadn't appreciated that was the cable drum ! :banghead:

Cheers Pat

On 6/3/2018 at 12:37 PM, rossm said:

There was a photo of the winch operators position in the first lot of stuff I sent you 😁

What can I say, complete muppetry on my part :banghead:

2 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

What can I say, complete muppetry on my part :banghead:

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt...............................maybe, somewhere, possibly, if only I could think where..............

On 6/6/2018 at 7:39 AM, rossm said:

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt...............................maybe, somewhere, possibly, if only I could think where..............

If you find it in under 33 years you are a better Man than me!  

On 5/28/2018 at 7:56 AM, JOCKNEY said:

If it turns out half as good as yours I'll be delighted 

Thanks for the kind words but I'm sure yours will be way better than mine!  I think at the time the Henley was meant "only" to be an "easy" vacuform sideline to my main project of turning the Matchbox Tempest into a Sea Fury which was at the time was turning into a rather long process (and once again never finished as "Life" got in the way!).  

40508138340_d6ef0482b6_k.jpg

I'll be watching your build with great interest cheering you on from the Grand Stands!  

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 1