Canadian armour Battle of the Scheldt

Pedro1

In October and November 1944 Canadian forces fought some of their bloodiest battles of World War 2 as they tried to liberate the entrance to the port of Antwerp. Known as the Battle of the Scheldt this operation involved the 4th Canadian Armoured Division and the 1st Polish Division, as well as British Naval and other units landing on the Islands of Walcheren and South Beveland.

Although I usually build 1:72 aircraft, I intend to build several models in 1:72 to commemorate the battle next year (I'm a slow builder). Would anyone know a good source of images of the (armoured) vehicles and tanks that were used by the Canadian forces in this operation?

So far my internet searches came up with very few and mostly very grainy images. I also sent a request via the website of IPMS Canada, but to no avail.

Many thanks!

Peter

• Like 2

What a great project. The 4th Canadian armoured division was there, regiments including the South Alberta (reconnaissance) which had Sherman V and VC tanks as well as a few Crusader AA Mk.II and Humber scout cars. The British Columbia regiment would also have use the sherman tanks and perhaps Stuart light tanks. As far as artillery, there would have been CMP tractors and universal carriers (T16 and Windsor carriers?) towing guns But this is all just my assumption.

An iconic vehicle of this campaign is the Buffalo amphibious vehicle crewed by the British for transporting Canadian infantry across the flooded areas.

I'm sure others will know more than me and look forward to hearing what they suggest. I'll check my references to see what else I find.

Edited by Ted

MapleLeafUp forum:

http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=28530&highlight=Scheldt

Also be sure to check out the photos in facebook link mentioned above.

WW2Talk forum, there is many links and I had not the time to check them, but any photos posted there,you will have to sign up to view images in larger format:

http://ww2talk.com/index.php?search/996028/&q=Scheldt&o=relevance

regards,

Jack

Peddinghaus makes several decal sheets with Canadian armour markings.  None are specific to the Battle of the Scheldt, but they do contain elements of the units involved.

Hope this helps. 

Many thanks for the suggestions! I'll check out the mentioned websites later today.

With regard to the model kits: I already purchased model kits  from IBG (Universal Carrier, Otter and Chevrolet lorries), Mirage (M3 Stuart), UM (Shermans) and even managed to find a Dragon 'Buffalo'.

Thanks again and kind regards,

Peter

• Like 1

I checked a couple books, they mentioned that tanks weren't suited to most of the terrain but were involved in some actions. One book mentioned that the 14th Canadian Hussars were involved, they used some interesting vehicles including Humber and Daimler armoured cars as well as halftracks.

Another vehicle mentioned were Wasps, universal carriers with flamethrowers which supported the infantry.

The only photo in the books showing a vehicle at the Scheldt was of a universal carrier with a raft tied on top.

Edited by Ted

Some other vehicles to add to the list:

Firefly - don't know to what degree this type played during this period, but each tank troop would have one (or two maximum).

M10 self-propelled gun - http://www.network54.com/Forum/47208/thread/1109840501

About the Stuart, the M3 version would likely have it's turret removed if still present NW Europe, and these would have only been those that had been brought over with units that had transferred over from Italy.  The Stuart V (M3A3) was the main type employed at the start of the Normandy landings, and losses were eventually replaced with the Stuart VI (M5).  Note too, some units would remove the turrets on these as well.

regards,

Jack

19 hours ago, JackG said:

Some other vehicles to add to the list:

Firefly - don't know to what degree this type played during this period, but each tank troop would have one (or two maximum).

M10 self-propelled gun - http://www.network54.com/Forum/47208/thread/1109840501

About the Stuart, the M3 version would likely have it's turret removed if still present NW Europe, and these would have only been those that had been brought over with units that had transferred over from Italy.  The Stuart V (M3A3) was the main type employed at the start of the Normandy landings, and losses were eventually replaced with the Stuart VI (M5).  Note too, some units would remove the turrets on these as well.

regards,

Jack

Hi Jack,

You're absolutely right about the Stuart, it's the M5A1 (late) boxing that I have :-)

I didn't know about the M10, that would also make a nice addition.

Kind regards,

Peter

3 hours ago, Bozothenutter said:

why is it called Scheldt....when we dutch call it de Schelde......

In Antwerp the river with the same name is also known as 't Schelt....

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...