FLYING MONKEY

Morning Chaps :bye:

First, a little background blurb...

Every year at our Nationals we set each other little Challenges for the following years competition. These could be anything from build a Heller Car Kit, or an F1 car, Mclaren, you name it. You basically have a whole year to get your challenge built, (but still some fail :))

Last years Nationals was no different, and a challenge was laid down with this...

resized_f07f0e90-6a94-4970-9522-02c46961

The Instructions were simple, Go Ape! :) 

So, what do you do with a 12th scale Monkey Bike? One idea smacked me around the head and shoulders quite vigorously (more on that later) but my mind did drift along the lines of maybe doing a chopper, or converting it into something along the lines of Harley WLA from WW2, or maybe even a tuk tuk :). But the kit went in my car, back to Joburg to worry about later..

But that niggling little idea wouldn't go away....

I was a bit hesitant about it. The kit was supplied after all, and if you go chopping it up, there's no back up if you fail....

But hey, you never know until you try..... and so the Monkey Speeder bike was born :) 

resized_0a856044-002c-4bfe-8cf9-1685728b

resized_7a0b8cc2-1499-4cf6-9d5b-99f28fa7

resized_ab642c4f-bc43-49a7-a268-ddd9a190

I've kept the upper frame, seat, tank and handle bars from the kit, the rest is scratch built, using pieces from all over the place, tanks, bikes, cars, you name it, and the odd bit of photo etch thrown in for good measure :) There is still quite a lot to get done, and I've only just painted the frame Semi gloss black, but i'm actually quite proud of my efforts so far. 

Its actually quite liberating building as you see fit, not to a prescribed set of instructions....

So now the painting begins...

To be continued... :) 

Mad Steve

• Like 2