B-25 Mitchell Mk.l (or maybe Mkll)

Skids

Right chaps here is my kit

B25-1

So I could do a B or a Mk.l.

I am looking at an RAF bird for this, problem is there were only 23 Mk.ls sent to the UK!

3 of them were test aircraft (FK161, FK162 and FK165 I believe) and later FK165 was training aircraft for 98 and 180 Sqns which I have photos for all 3. The other 20 were sent to the Bahamas and became 111 OTU but I cant find any photo reference for them.

Or I could try to make a Mk.ll. The kit comes with the clear parts for a C/D but not the cowlings,exhausts. So would need to scratch build a few bits.

Hmmm at least I have a few days to decide

Simon

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Still not finalised colour scheme but thought I better make a start.

Not much but a few bits off the sprue, I work in acrylics so what is the best colour for the interior?

B25-2

Hopefully will get some done this weekend

Simon

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skids said:

Still not finalised colour scheme but thought I better make a start.

Not much but a few bits off the sprue, I work in acrylics so what is the best colour for the interior?

B25-2

Hopefully will get some done this weekend

Simon

I used tamiya XF71 cockpit green on mine.

• Like 2

Well not really got to much more done on this. 

I have ordered a few bits for it and a BM member is sending me the exhausts so hopefully I will be making a proper start this weekend.

For now I have managed to get the interior painted green, but no details yet.

B25-3

Thanks

Simon

• Like 4

Coming on nicely this Simon!

Have you decided upon variant yet? Before 1944 most RAF Mitchell`s within 2 Group had the earlier exhaust system with the single pipe;

Image result for raf mitchell

Image result for mitchell ev raf

I think that the later multi ejector exhausts were retrofitted early in 1944 onto surviving Mitchell`s while later deliveries already had them.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the info Tony, and for posting pics of 180sqn that I have not seen!

The variant is an option that I am limited with. As I only have the B kit it only comes with the B exhaust limiting me to a Mk.l. Luckily a chap on here has the G kit which comes with the C/D exhausts and is letting me have them. Also my kit has all the clear parts so that is not an issue.

So I am planning on doing a Mk.ll.  The Italeri repop had the decals for W-EV but can't find anything so was going to mask codes and I have some serial numbers. I am thinking one of the -EV most likely S or Z

But to put a damper on things I ordered a few bits from BigH to collect at MK show today and my order was not there so gotta order it all again.

So got to wait for it now.

Simon

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All

Firstly I would like to apologise for my lack of appearance on this GB, I suggested it and should be running it. But I have had a few things going on and up to now not put a lot of effort into it.

This will change from today. I will at least start to get my B-25 on the move again and take a very good look at all the other builds going on at present.

Due to waiting 2 ish years since I suggested this GB I have been doing a few commission jobs to make some pennies. One of which I have literally just finished. And as it was needed for next weekend I had no choice but to shelve the B-25 till it was completed. Now its done I can concentrate on the B-25 again.

No B-25 pics but here is a pic of the Forgeworld Troggath Hag  I have been doing (this is not a completed one as I have not photographed it yet)

Hag

Thanks

Simon

Edited by Skids
  • Like 3

On 21 May 2018 at 3:52 PM, Graham Boak said:

I have seen a photo of Mk.Is in the OTU in the Bahamas, and these have the advantage of being in RAF colours not OD over Neutral Grey.

I was looking to do OTU 111 but I think I will be doing 180sqn, but that could change. Will be looking at reference pics this weekend and decide as I need to reorder some decals, masks and bits.

Well I have finally restarted my B-25

Got a bit of interior panted. Still got the ICP to do and the seats (which somehow managed to disappear completely)

B-25 4

And I finally managed to reorder stuff from the Big H. Got a mask (not in pic?), some decals which I shall be mashing up to make 180sqn and some seats to replace the missing ones.

B-25 5

So I now have no excuse to get a move on!!

More soon

Simon

• Like 4

Well I better pull my finger out as I have realised there is only just over 3 weeks left. Got the seats done and got it all glued to one side. I can close the fuselage up tonight and make a start on putting the rest together.

B-25 6

Hopefully I should have enough time to get her done

• Like 3

Thanks Beggsy

Such a shame most of it disappears!

I managed to get a bit done, main bits together. little bits to do now before masking

B-25 7

• Like 3