RCAF Halifax info requested

Wrenchy

Hi. I want to do a model of a particular Halifax and am looking for a bit of info. I was wondering if anyone here could help me. On April 8, 1943, RCAF 419squadron Halifax II BB-327, coded VR-Q, was shot down over Duisberg, Germany. The flight engineer, Sgt. L.E. Turner, was the sole survivor and spent the rest of the war as a p.o.w. He was my great uncle Vern. Anyways, I’ve poured over everything I could find, looking for a pic of that particular plane. Needle in a haystack. I’d like to know if it featured nose art or not. If I can’t find anything I’ll just finish it with the standard markings. Does anyone know or could you point me somewhere to find out? Thanks.

BB327 VR*Q (Struck by flak while on a mission to Stuttgart on 11 March 1943. The aircraft was repaired. Shot down and crashed near Bochum while on a mission to Duisberg on 9 April 1943),

Pat Martin

4 hours ago, Patrick Martin said:

BB327 VR*Q (Struck by flak while on a mission to Stuttgart on 11 March 1943. The aircraft was repaired. Shot down and crashed near Bochum while on a mission to Duisberg on 9 April 1943),

Pat Martin

Thanks, very interesting! Where did you find this? I hadn’t seen anything about 11 March before. There’s record of other incidents later in March. All other sources I have, including my uncle’s journal, indicate 8 April as the night they were shot down.

2 hours ago, Crimea River said:

I have a contact at the Bomber Command Museum of Canada. If there is a pic or info on this, he should have it. May take a few days.

Andy

That’d be great, thanks!

1 hour ago, brewerjerry said:

Hi

maybe of interest ?

http://www.419squadron.com/BB327.html

cheers

jerry

Thanks!

Edited by Wrenchy

Hi Wrenchy. My contact got back to me last night. Here's his response:

"Hi Andy, I just checked all my sources here and it appears there was NO nose art on BB327 which was VR - Q of 419 sqn.

The previous Halifax DT619 that went down in FEB 1943 with the markings VR -Q in 419 Sqn. had some nose art on it, a Bird with a bomb."

Andy

5 hours ago, Crimea River said:

Hi Wrenchy. My contact got back to me last night. Here's his response:

"Hi Andy, I just checked all my sources here and it appears there was NO nose art on BB327 which was VR - Q of 419 sqn.

The previous Halifax DT619 that went down in FEB 1943 with the markings VR -Q in 419 Sqn. had some nose art on it, a Bird with a bomb."

Andy

Wow, that was quick! Thanks!

Ryan