1/144 Alitalia A300 - Tiziano the terrible

Here's my first offering for your perusal. To say this model was a disaster from start to finish is an understatement!

The build started off well enough, however I made the fatal mistake of taking it with me to a hotel I was staying in with work, so I could to do bits and bobs on it in the evenings. Not sure how, but I lost/mislaid the PE fret, distinctive avionics spine, undercarriage legs, and wheels. 

Thankfully an Airfix/DACO A300 kindly donated its landing gear and horizontal stabilizers, as the one's supplied by AA appeared to be undersized -  more appropriate for an A300-600/A310 (?)

The engines that came with the AA offering were the early style GE CF6-50's, so I also used the DACO engines as they were a better representation the latter CF6's that powered the majority of the Alitalia A300 fleet.

Unfortunately both wings were quite badly warped, and despite using a hairdryer, hot water,et al, to try and fix the problem - nothing would alter their alarming droop. This was something I was going to have to live with...or so I thought at the time.

The next disaster that befell me happened whilst applying the beautifully printed Alitalia 26 Decals. When I tried manoeuvring them into position they disintegrated into numerous pieces, resulting in me having to (not very successfully) patch them up. In fairness I've never previously experienced any problems with 26 Decals.

For the engine cowlings I decided I'd try using bright bare metal foil. This was the first time I'd used foil on a curved surface and to be honest it'll probably be my last, as I wasn't particularly happy with my effort. Thank goodness for metalizers!

Then my grand finale - I dropped the model, not once, but twice!! At this point I gave serious consideration to binning the thing as it seemed jinxed. However I took a step back, left it for a few days then fixed up poor old 'Tizi' as best I could. As both wings had snapped off at exactly the point, they were reattached which miraculously partially cured the wing droop! 

Anyhow enough pratling, meet Tizano the terrible (aka the cursed build).

095_FCD5_F-0837-4_AFC-9_B8_C-_F56_AB664_D4_AB228_D-1739-4306-_BA34-1_DF02_A1_C7_BC8_CA18_D-89_A9-46_AB-_A20_D-3_DB439823F69_D3499-1_D27-4_D69-9039-057_B314_FEBE

• Like 32

Hi Nick,

Well you certainly got there in the end, beautiful A300! I have an AZ A300 on my to do list too, it's a good looking livery. I'm currently working on an Iberia A300 but the airfix model with a Bra.Z nose and P&W engines, just waiting for paint and decals.

Bad luck with losing all those bits and the decals breaking up, it's certainly not the norm with 26 decals.

I'll have to compare my AA engines and undercarriage with the Airfix ones, I've never noticed there were any differences.

Looking forward to more of your work!

Cheers,

Ian

Very glad to welcome another airliner modeller.

As others have said, the finished model doesn't show the problems you had and the A300 really suits the classic Alitalia livery.

I'm surprised that you had problems with warped wings.  My own experience of AA kits is fairly limited (I'm not a great fan of resin kits as a breed) but I have a few in my stash including the DC-10 and none of them show any signs of warping.  I know it's academic now but it might have been worth getting in touch with Kurt Lehmann who takes great pride in his products and is always very helpful.

Looking forward to your next build.

Dave G

1 hour ago, Turbofan said:

Hi Nick,

Well you certainly got there in the end, beautiful A300! I have an AZ A300 on my to do list too, it's a good looking livery. I'm currently working on an Iberia A300 but the airfix model with a Bra.Z nose and P&W engines, just waiting for paint and decals.

Bad luck with losing all those bits and the decals breaking up, it's certainly not the norm with 26 decals.

I'll have to compare my AA engines and undercarriage with the Airfix ones, I've never noticed there were any differences.

Looking forward to more of your work!

Cheers,

Ian

Hi Ian,

I’d have used the AA undercarriage and wheels in a heartbeat had I not lost/left them in a Stansted Airport hotel, as they were exquisitely detailed little items:(

In respect of the GE engines, the main difference with the latter engines are that hot section is slightly shorter, and the exhaust nozzle is a little longer and more pointed. The Airfix items being easier to modify to represent these changes. Btw your Laker DC10 captures the latter engines perfectly!

Rgds,

Nick

1 hour ago, Skodadriver said:

Very glad to welcome another airliner modeller.

As others have said, the finished model doesn't show the problems you had and the A300 really suits the classic Alitalia livery.

I'm surprised that you had problems with warped wings.  My own experience of AA kits is fairly limited (I'm not a great fan of resin kits as a breed) but I have a few in my stash including the DC-10 and none of them show any signs of warping.  I know it's academic now but it might have been worth getting in touch with Kurt Lehmann who takes great pride in his products and is always very helpful.

Looking forward to your next build.

Dave G

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the welcome.

I’ve got a couple more completed AA builds that virtually fell togther, the only problems I encountered were usually of my own making and no reflection of the craftsmanship of Kurt’s work.

Kurt provides excellent customer service and is a pleasure to do business with, and in hindsight I should have contacted him re the wings.

Rgds,

Nick.

Hi Nick,

I didn't see the WIP on this, but it sounds like it was quite a challenge. I must say the end result is rather superb. I like everything about it. I've had a half complete Airfix 737-200 on the shelf for quite some time. Its all primed and ready for final finishing. This has inspired me to do that. Just need to get a couple of others over the finish line first!

Well done!

Cheers

Terry