Gloster Gauntlet II, Aeroclub 1/48 - now with added Gladiator

The Gloster Gauntlet was the RAF's last open cockpit figter.

This is Aeroclub's 1/48th Gloster Gauntlet offering, I believe that they had a 1/72nd version too.

The box

RAF-100-Gauntlet_000.jpg

Parts

RAF-100-Gauntlet_001.jpg

I haven't tested them, but the decals look to be in good shape.  The decals are for aircraft from 46 Sqn or from 74 Sqn.

I haven't made a final decision on which I'll build yet:

the 46 Sqn aircraft had squadron markings on the top wing,

while the option is present in the kit for 74 Sqn wing markings, there is a question whether they got around to painting them.

AM stuff

RAF-100-Gauntlet_002.jpg

The seat belts and instruments are left over from earlier projects, while the Vector engine was bought to replace the kit's white metal parts.

• Like 6

This is now, probably, over ambitious, but I'm adding a Roden Gladiator into the mix ...

RAF-100-Gladiator_000.jpg

I'll build this as a MkI despite what it says on the box.

So far as I can see, the main difference in Roden's kits is the choice of windscreen and of propellor.  I'm not sure about other boxings, but this one has the later (MKII) instrument panel so  I've ordered a Yahu MkI panel (two, 'cause the second will make life easier in the Gauntlet too).

Also on order is a set of Pheon decals for the Gladiator. 

A comparison of Aeroclub and Roden parts ... darker grey Roden, paler grey Aeroclub

RAF-100-Gladiator_001.jpg

The Gauntlet has a shorter fuselage and narrower chord wings, there are other differences, but there is a distinct family resemblence between the two types.

I have a niggling suspision that the Gladiator's wing tips should be eliptical, more like the Aeroclub Gauntlet.

• Like 3

Sprue shots ...

RAF-100-Gauntlet_003.jpg

Vector's Bristol Mercury

RAF-100-Gauntlet_004.jpg

Aeroclub's Gauntlet. Interesting to note (at least to me), there are fewer plastic parts in this kit than in the Vector engine.

RAF-100-Gauntlet_005.jpg

Aeroclub's Gauntlet, metal parts - which do add to the kit's part count

RAF-100-Gauntlet_006.jpg

Roden transparencies and grey plastic cowling, Aeroclub's vac-form windscreen and resin cowling

RAF-100-Gauntlet_007.jpg

Aeroclub Gauntlet decals

• Like 2

Sprue shots Part II, Gladiator ...

RAF-100-Gladiator_002.jpg

RAF-100-Gladiator_003.jpg

RAF-100-Gauntlet_006.jpg

Roden transparencies and grey plastic cowling, Aeroclub's vac-form windscreen and resin cowling

I wont be building any of the options in the box, so haven't included a decal shot for the Gladiator.

Assembling has started with the Gladiator's cowling.  (Oddly, this was a comfortable fit around a Vallejo paint bottle.)

• Like 1

Well, I've started

The Gladiator 'pit

RAF-100-Gladiator_004.jpg

I have to yet to paint the compass dial, and can see that the joystick needs a bit more brown.  The seat-belts will be completed after installation in the fuselage.

And the Gauntlet

RAF-100-Gauntlet_008.jpg

Not so far advanced as the Gladiator, but this shot does highlight the quality of the Yahu instrument panel.

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Good choices Robert I can reference your Gladiator built too for mine :D

Hmm, I wouldn't put too much credence on my build - I'm, more or less, following Roden's instructions.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Two lovely birds indeed!

Thanks John, I hope they will be.

2 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Very nice work. 

You know it’s got to be a Tiger stripe!

The Gauntlet? 74 Squadron.  Maybe (I have yet to decide), but the top wing stripe wouldn't be used, I cannot find any evidence that it was ever applied.

There is a little progress to note on the Gladiator ...

The decals have arrived - these are by Pheon, they absolutely beautiful.  I am thinking of having the included profiles framed to hang on the wall - stunning work by @Rowan Broadbent

This image does them no justice -

RAF-100-Gladiator_005.jpg

In terms of the kit, I've added the cockpit floor and seat, but not the instrument panel (yet)

RAF-100-Gladiator_006.jpg

BTW, the compass comes from the Airscale decals sets I showed in post 1.

{edit} The cockpit floor and radio (not visible here) are glued to one side of the fuselage.  The second side is taped on to act as a setting guide, to make sure they don't submerge beyond visibility {/edit}

I've also started building the Vector engine, probably for the Gauntlet

RAF-100-Gladiator_007.jpg

By adding just three cylinders I think I can work out how much (or little) to remove from the heads.

This photo illustrates a problem I might have - the silver is Halfords rattle can aluminium, which is too smooth for my slow(ish) drying acrylic inks (I'm using Daler Rowney inks).

P.S. I'll deal with the flash later ;)

• Like 3

No progress to report since my last post, but I have been testing paints, for the 'silver' finishes.

These are all from Halfords rattle cans ...

One layer of grey primer, then two coats of of white or black primer at each end.

RAF-100-Gladiator_008.jpg

Each of the metallic paints was applied in two layers as suggested by Halfords.  The bottom three stripes in the image show some damage from the masking tape (more obvious IRL than the photos), probably due to waiting the minimum time before applying the tape.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MarkSH said:

That's an interesting experiment, was the paint applied from the can or decanted? what is the size of the test piece?

Thanks Mark

Applied direct from the can.

The white and grey primers had been used on other projects.

The black and aluminium were applied to the engine (above), but new otherwise. The chrome was new and sealed.

The test card is a piece of foam board, bruised at one corner, crudely cut from the main sheet.  Roughly four by two inches, and (say) eight mill thick.

Note, the tonal values seen are very sensitive to viewing and light angles, the photo is not a good record of what my eyes see IRL.

Based on direct observation, I'll (probably) go with aluminium over a white base coat for the fabric and a black base for the metal cowls and Gladiator undercarriage. If any other struts are metal I may use a grey base coat there.

These both look good Robert. I’m particularly keen to see the Gauntlet take shape so will watch on from this side of the world. There’s some cracking builds going on within this GB. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

Thanks Dave,

Yes, there are some very good builds in this GB.

I am a slower builder than most, but I have hopes that both the Gladiator and Gauntlet two will be finished soon - I have a couple of other builds in mind, but want these finished first.

19 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

.... I have a couple of other builds in mind, but want these finished first.

Now that's something I reckon I say at least once a day!!

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some progress - the Gladiator fuselage has been glued...

RAF-100-Gladiator_009.jpg

RAF-100-Gladiator_009a.jpg

I added a thin sheet of foil from a Gü pud (blury thing in this shot ^^).

So I could include the seatbelt restraint, like this ...

RAF-100-Gladiator_010.jpg

Views of the Yahu IP in place ...

RAF-100-Gladiator_011.jpg

• Like 4