1/48 Lancaster B.III (Special)

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 3:49 PM, Bell209 said:

So, managed to get the black on yesterday and, although it still needs some touch-ups before the clear coat, it's looking pretty good (apologies for the poor quality shot).

file.php?id=17706

I also fitted the turrets and detail pieces like pitot probe now as I want the clear coat to match all the surfaces. I'll fill and retouch the front turret fairing and fix a small area under the right wing I spilled paint on but it will soon be ready for clear-coating. A two week pause now while I go home and catch up with the family.

Now, where did I leave my Westland Scout project...

That Lancaster is looking great & your photo shows how big the model is next to your spray booth - I think I have the same spray booth and find it does not do much of a job getting rid of the spray fumes - how do you find yours works?

CJP

• Like 4

I found the booth is actually quite good (as long as the model fits in it!) I bought a much longer collapsible replacement hose for the exhaust fan so it would actually reach the door to vent it outside. I tend to leave the model in the booth with the fan running for about 10 minutes after I've finished painting to help get rid of the fumes (I use enamels). I just bought a replacement pair of filters (although I only use one at a time, as per the instructions). I wish I'd bought it years ago!

Thanks for the positive comments on the model - I can finally see the end in sight. Not sure where I'll put it when it's done as it's too big to take home by air!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Bell209 said:

I found the booth is actually quite good (as long as the model fits in it!) I bought a much longer collapsible replacement hose for the exhaust fan so it would actually reach the door to vent it outside. I tend to leave the model in the booth with the fan running for about 10 minutes after I've finished painting to help get rid of the fumes (I use enamels). I just bought a replacement pair of filters (although I only use one at a time, as per the instructions). I wish I'd bought it years ago!

Thanks for the positive comments on the model - I can finally see the end in sight. Not sure where I'll put it when it's done as it's too big to take home by air!

Ok thanks Rob - I might have another look at the filters on mine

Chris

Spent some time this week on the flaps.

file.php?id=17881file.php?id=17880

Pretty happy with how they've turned out, although you can see in the second photo the CA glue has fogged the aft inboard nacelles. I've tried fixing it but I'll have to shoot a bit more black over the top this weekend. Might look at antennae, too.

I reckon I'll need to add some weathering inside the flaps as the grease seems to be pretty prevalent on the linear actuating rods where they pass through the ribs.

Edited by Bell209
  • Like 8

• 1 month later...

Finally got my new decals (which still aren't exactly what I was after but they'll do) and applied them on the weekend. I then managed to get the Future matt coat on tonight.

file.php?id=18023

file.php?id=18021

It's still fighting me. I added too much flat base to the Future and it looked washed out and almost white - a great lesson for painting the Tornado as that's the look I'm after. However, the beauty of Future is you can recoat over it immediately with the right base/Future mix. The second attempt looks right.

Also managed to knock the RH nose gun off again! Now I need to recoat the lights with straight Future as they copped a matt coat, too, fit the antennae, bomb and wheels and add a bit of light weathering before calling it done.

Edited by Bell209
  • Like 7

Thanks, guys. Just taking the masks off tonight. Looks like there are a couple of bits that will need touching up so far. Amazing what a difference the clear coat makes, though. It levels all the little painting imperfections put nicely!