Polish Air Lines Ju-52 - need props.

Admiral Puff

I've been doing some cleaning up, in particular getting my decal stash out of heaps and organised into folders, and have discovered that I hold a Techmod 1:48 sheet for LOT's Ju-52s. These were different from the normal Ju-52, in that they were fitted with Bristol Pegasus VIs with three-bladed props. There is a Monogram civilian Ju-52 in the stash which would be a good candidate. The engines I have covered (CMK do a 1:48 Peggy); I would appreciate suggestions as to what might be suitable props to use.

Hello Your Lordship,

may I suggest props from a 1/48 Blenheim? I don’t know if there are any aeroclub ones still around, or perhaps something from a Gladiator? I’m curious to see where you will source the center engine cowling. I have the same decal sheet, and the Ju52, but hadn’t figured this out yet.

TW.

Thanks, Tony. I don't know about the Gladiator prop - from the somewhat indistinct pictures I've seen, the props on the LOT aircraft don't look like Fairey Reids. Aeroclub would be an obvious source, if only John was still in business.

That centre cowling looks like being an interesting scratch build!

Here are some contemporaneous pix I found online. About half way down this page is a distance shot; not sure if it's prior to Sept 12, 1939 when they were interred in Romania. The 1st below is clearly the aircraft. I believe the 2nd is too, but it's not consistent with the 1st. I have some resin AM props I'll modify.

SM0_1-_G-4158-3.jpg\

spakx.jpg

Edit: As you might guess, I too have that kit, those decals, along with Vector's Pegasus engines and Montex masks.

Edited by dnl42

Thanks for those shots - very useful! It looks as though the props were conventional bracket type two-position ones, as fitted to DC-2s and many other types. Surely someone has done them as aftermarket items ...

Be careful with rotation direction. Plish DC 2 has the same so it is likely OK.

Znalezione obrazy dla zapytania lot ju 52 

Another nice shots

Znalezione obrazy dla zapytania lot ju 52Znalezione obrazy dla zapytania polski lot ju 52

I have found such drawing but the resolution is low.

Znalezione obrazy dla zapytania lot ju 52

Edited by JWM
  • Like 1

What a great photograph! All the hub detail you could wish for!

AFAIK there is no 1:48 kit of a Short flying boat other than the Alpha Flight Sunderland III - and it has the spinners moulded integrally with the hubs :weep:!

2 hours ago, PhoenixII said:

Something similar used by British Rail 'back in the day' they called 'em the "Mule"

https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7455/8828296304_606608c8d7_b.jpg

Thanks for the note on the mule, never saw anything like that before.

There was a whole range of such vehicles by Karrier (Cob), Jensen (Jentug, 4 wheeled), Ford (Tug?), Reliant (TW9 Ant) and Scammell.

I think only the Scammell saw military service; the early ones were called Mechanical Horse, then post war the type in the link above - the Scarab (a portmanteau of SCammell ARAB, after the most respected horse breed). All three services, AFAIK, used both, mainly in depots, certainly never in the field - no cross country ability at all. It was followed by the Townsman, which was unpopular, then by a 4 wheeled vehicle whose name escapes me; I'm not sure how few were made.  Neither of these was used by the military.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...