1/144 - Tupolev Tu-22KD & UD "Blinder-B & D" by MikroMir - released

Homebee

The Iraqi's and Libyans flew the Tu-22UD trainer - but the 'bomber' variant was the earlier Tu-22B -with a smaller radome.

So, the answer is NO - you cannot make a camo'd example without modifying the kit.

Early radome.........

day04_020.jpg

Later bulged radome (as on the Tu-22KD)....

day04_022.jpg

Although...... the Tu-22UD trainer has the smaller radome - so some grafting might be possible???...

day04_024.jpg

Ken

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I got mine delivered the other day and yes, it's a beauty. Shape is great, detail is fantastic, mind-blowing small parts and fine details on e.g. ejector seats and landing gear, and great panel lines.

However, the "no flash" in an earlier post is an outright lie. My parts have flash in exactly the places I thought they did, and asked about, i.e. wingtip trailing edges. There's actually quite a bit of flash overall, and a test fit of cockpit halves to rest of fuselage shows this build will need a lot of sanding.

Furthermore, the sprue with the tailplane has a moulding imperfection (which I can also see in the pictures earlier in this thread now I know what to look for). It seems one half of the mould shrunk, parts in the centre of the sprue are OK but at the edges the parts are distorted and "out of register". A lot of these parts are quite basic internal structural elements, so it should be fixable with... even more sanding.

Also, instructions are absolutely dire. Early steps calling sub-assemblies that are not detailed until several pages later, parts appearing on assembly steps but never being called. No mention of how to use the instrument panel decals, although I guess that shouldn't be too hard to work out. No indication of which part is the instrument panel though, I scoured the sprues and it may be missing?

Anyway, I don't mean to put a huge downer on the kit, I'm really happy with the fact we have this subject in plastic and there is a lot to like about the shape and detail. And I know it's "limited run" and was always going to be a bit of work, but in some areas it's a below expectation even for this type of kit.

Just my impressions after opening the box, test fitting and getting started on cockpit area.

EDIT: Just a correction on the above, the kit does include parts for the instrument panel, both for the pilot and navigator, but they are not mentioned in the instructions.

Edited by Vlad
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

thanks Vald for your review!

did you proceed any further? I am seriously thinking of buying one myself!

any verdict in the meantime regarding the small noses for the ordinary (also export ) bomber version?

Thanks!

Werner

21 hours ago, exdraken said:

thanks Vald for your review!

did you proceed any further? I am seriously thinking of buying one myself!

Yes, I finished mine. It was blood, sweat and tears all the way, but worth it. I probably spent over 60% of the construction time just sanding to make things fit.

My verdict is, I'm really glad I built it and very happy with the result, it's a gorgeous plane and the kit captures it beautifully. But you'd have to pay me (a lot!) to ever build one again. If you want one I would say go for it, after all your only other option is Resin. But steel yourself for the long haul.

Here are some in-progress shots of the cockpit. I can take some completed photos as well if you like.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, exdraken said:

finished photos of course would be great somewhere here!

Here are some rough and ready ones. I'll stick them here as I don't think I did such an amazing job to make it worth a RFI thread.

9FMo-OGY7ae5zkOTVwqTZh7BBqU0pVEL1AImiufW

wz3py8vHSYuNWby1CwaREZqoZQkMzu5fgLrNxdaM

04Z_LhW9Kc-4vwmsv44-ML7-UXo5J9dg0uPH_O_A

• Like 2

On 3/6/2019 at 12:52 PM, Vlad said:

Here are some rough and ready ones. I'll stick them here as I don't think I did such an amazing job to make it worth a RFI thread.

Hi Vlad, thanks!

you just convinced me ordering one ;)

Great job! (I started a B-2A yesterday.... so actually the first (or actually most recent ) 1/144 bomber of a long line I wanna build finally!)

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

I just received the two seater for my birthday (having already steeled myself for the challenge ahead!)

Just wondering if anyone knew what the extra decals included were for - there is a dragon with BBC written under it which doesn't seem to be called out on the instructions, plus some Ukranian symbols.

52 minutes ago, Tim R-T-C said:

I just received the two seater for my birthday (having already steeled myself for the challenge ahead!)

Just wondering if anyone knew what the extra decals included were for - there is a dragon with BBC written under it which doesn't seem to be called out on the instructions, plus some Ukranian symbols.

I assuem there is only one decal sheet for single and two-seater models.

My single seater as profiles for the Dragon adorned planes, one Soviet, (the same) one in Ukraine markings...

• Like 1