Tamiya Spitfire VbXXXXFINISHEDXXXXXXXXX

Hi folk's my other build for this GB is Tamiya's Spitfire Vb flown by Polish pilot Jan Zumbach,another part of the RAF's story has been the large number of

overseas personel that have swelled the rank's over it's history particularly during WW2 especially from those countries occupied by the Axis power's.This

will be my first Tamiya Spitfire so really looking forward to it.

41016033211_15acf0b43c_b.jpg

Now the decal's I got fromKing Kit for £3:99 so the kit was bought a couple of week's ago for this GB,I think the plan will be to use the

Tamiya decal's with the AM codes etc as the roundel's don't look right to me.

40973950722_49ba72d729_b.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folk's before I was floored this afternoon by some  bug or other I had a productive couple of hour's on this one,I'm now left asking why on Earth I've

never built a Tamiya Spitfire?cockpit is lovely oob and fit of part's outstanding one of the best wing/fuselage joint's of the many Spitfire's I,ve built.

Anyway my mantra is make it look busy so a bit of detailed painting in the cockpit and it'll do for me.

27340862848_02aed7eece_b.jpg

Masking tape for the harness and once under the cockpit glazing again busy enough for me.

41215046121_bca606cbe3_b.jpg

And within a couple of hour's I'm here.

27340887338_52f94c24ce_b.jpg

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

That masking tape harness sure looks like some AM product there Steve. That’s come out just great. Tamiya’s Spits are just lovely. I’ve started their 1/72 Vb which is a lot like their 1/48 kit. If there’s one annoying trait, I really don’t like those optional wing tips, however Tamiya are not the only ones that mould their Spits this way. I’ve never had much luck with getting a perfect fit and this latest build has not been any different. 

Look forward to more quick progress and wishing you a quick recovery.. Dave. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

That masking tape harness sure looks like some AM product there Steve. That’s come out just great. Tamiya’s Spits are just lovely. I’ve started their 1/72 Vb which is a lot like their 1/48 kit. If there’s one annoying trait, I really don’t like those optional wing tips, however Tamiya are not the only ones that mould their Spits this way. I’ve never had much luck with getting a perfect fit and this latest build has not been any different. 

Look forward to more quick progress and wishing you a quick recovery.. Dave. 

Cheer's Dave it only lasted a couple of day's,mind I had to put in a sick day at work which lost me my 100% attendance record for eight year's!

Anyway relaxing hour this morning painting the first coat of green.

41516169781_7628dfa73f_b.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 2

100% attendance record for eight years!! My god Steve, thats something I’ll never hear anyone say Down Under. Do you get an attendance bonus? 

Cheers (oh, by the way - the two models look great!).. Dave. 

11 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

100% attendance record for eight years!! My god Steve, thats something I’ll never hear anyone say Down Under. Do you get an attendance bonus? 

Cheers (oh, by the way - the two models look great!).. Dave. 

Dave, not many believe me but I swear I've had less than three week's missing work since 1976,a week with Flu a week after a motorcycle accident

And a couple of odd day's here and there!Sadly I'll miss my free meal in the canteen this month for loosing my record:(

I misread that for a second and thought the motorcycle accident somehow caused the flu...

Spit and Meteor both looking great. Tamiya Spit looks like a nice kit - as you’d expect - if you’ve built the Airfix kit how do they compare?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, zebra said:

I misread that for a second and thought the motorcycle accident somehow caused the flu...

Spit and Meteor both looking great. Tamiya Spit looks like a nice kit - as you’d expect - if you’ve built the Airfix kit how do they compare?

If I'm honest I like the simplicity of the Tamiya Kit as a build but prefer the detailing of the Airfix Kit and Ithink I 've done three or four so Airfix must be doing

something right.Here's a couple.

DSCN1213_zpsuzcwdi1v.jpg

DSCN3806_zpsj2ily5i3.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, zebra said:

Tamiya Spit looks like a nice kit - as you’d expect - if you’ve built the Airfix kit how do they compare?

as kits,  or accuracy wise?

Tamiya make verygood kits in general,  the proverbial shake and bake.   Accuracy wise, the new tool 1/48th Spitfires stomp all over the Tamiya,  and  I believe the 72nd Tamiya are the same.

Not really awful,  but a bit slab sided and short, with too broad a wing chord.

a few years back @PlaStix   did a side by side build

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234968337-two-148-mkvb-spitfires-tamiya-and-airfix-new-spitfire-collection-expansion-project-finished-photos-now-in-the-rfi-section-080615/

which should answers many questions,  and there is discussion of the Tamiya faults and some fixes.  The Airfix kit can be tricky to build due to very tight tolerances,   and bad UC leg attachment method,  also discussed.

Steve

Zumbach's plane was the subject of a series of colour pics

3518016657_0fa6f4b26a_o.jpgSpitfire Mk.Vc by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

ka32.jpg

0626-02-2-2.jpg

which are a rare treat :)

• Like 3

Thank's for the Photo's Troy I bought the decal's cheap and had planned the Airfix kit for this GB but 20% off at my LMS swayed me to try Tamiya's

Kit,what I wish I hadn't tried was Tamiya's RAF green! as I brush paint I have to thin and for some reason this particular colour just does not like to

brush most other's in their range dont cause issue but this one "drag's" something awful on the second and in this case third coat,anyway I persivered

and this morning got the gloss on.

41597493101_860721e2db_b.jpg

And I thought it time I bit the bullet and faced my nemesis in the form of a modern jet,

40824451804_628909a371_b.jpg

I would love to build it for this GB but with three to do I'm not risking a start!

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 5

And it came to pass that in good spirit's Steve decided to start decalling,Much troubled by the pain that Tamiyas main decal's caused with thier awful

white circles he went with tha AM sheet's slightly too light roundel's instead and was further troubled when they fell to pieces! The RF-D codes also

befell the same fate so plan A is dead in the water.So with egg all over my face I'm searching Hannant's for a new identity for this kit hopefully with 

an overseas pilot's mount.

Edit.Interesting,Techmod do a sheet with three incarnation's of RF-D including an early version with a broader yellow Fuselage roundel

which I've never seen,that said for the same price I could get a large sheet of various roundelsas I have no spare's left at all!

Edited by stevej60
  • Sad 1

Right I needed a set of decal's for my Airfix Bae Hawk so two birds with one stone ordered the Techmod set,ordered the 19 Sqn retro decal's

for the Hawk so time prmiting maybe another entry for this GB:frantic:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, spaddad said:

Wish I'd looked at this sooner, I've got an Aeromaster sheet with Zumbachs markings on it which you could have had as it's unlikely I'll use them.

Thank's anyway Dave probably for the better if I had not ordered them I wouldn't have looked for Hawk decal's to get that one built!

Hi folk's decal's arrived and what beauties they are,I really like the early scheme for his aircraft with the broad yellow fuselage roundel

not seen this scheme before,we'll see.

26824134787_7980bbd1e2_b.jpg

• Like 4

On 18/4/2018 at 02:55, Troy Smith said:

Zumbach's plane was the subject of a series of colour pics

3518016657_0fa6f4b26a_o.jpg

22 hours ago, stevej60 said:

,I really like the early scheme for his aircraft with the broad yellow fuselage roundel

not seen this scheme before,we'll see.

Hi Steve

I am assuming it's the same plane, and the roundels got reapined in May1942 when the change from A to C happened (IIRC)  but I did note in the above shot there looks to be the 'shadow' or a ring of fresh paint on the underwing where the roundel was repainted.

I've not seen a shot of Zumbach's plane in the A style roundels, and a quick google is not turning one up.   Possibly the early scheme is based on the assumption from the evidence of overpainting shown above.

HTH

T

56 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

've not seen a shot of Zumbach's plane in the A style roundels, and a quick google is not turning one up.   Possibly the early scheme is based on the assumption from the evidence of overpainting shown above.

HTH

T

Thank's Troy I'm in agreement as I can't find a photo in the early scheme,interestingly Techmod give three period's for this aircraft and my chosen early scheme

has the smallest of the famous duck emblem's  and a specific number of kill marking's,anyway  a rather  tense decalling session(beautiful decal's but care needed)

in which the serial just destroyed itself,I was going to have to consider another change of identity but thankfully I hadn't emptied the waste bin and retrieved the

crumpled original sheet and used the codes,the starboard one broke in four but i plodded on and here we are!

41713324501_ffe96b0540_b.jpg

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Hi folk's after a few week's just needing the cockpit glazing painting she's finally done,day off tomorrow so should get her in the gallery.

41530172024_a90c8ea3c9_b.jpg

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

Another top-notch Spit build Steve, well put together and beautifully painted. Well done buddy.

Many thank's John much appreciated,I've got a feeling this wont be the last of Tamiya's Spit's i visit!

• Like 1