Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Mindmax

Studio scale Snowspeeder 1:10 Scratchbuilt

Recommended Posts

Dear forum members,

 

After my first scratchbuilt model (Turbolaser Diorama)

I have decided to try it with a second one. A studio scale Snowspeeder 1:10 scale. This project has been a big challange for me as this whole modelling still feels new to me. In advance sorry for not posting the progress of my work for the past 14 month. I wasn't convinced that I could build this model and did not want to post pictures of something what ends in a chaos. 

 

The Snowspeeder is one of my favorite models from Star Wars. Another reason for building it was that I thought that I won't need to vacuum form any parts and could build all parts somehow pretty easy. At the end it wasn´t so easy, for me very complicated and much harder than the Turbolaser diorama. The main issue was that the Turbolaser gave me some freedom to build it in scale, the Snowspeeder not. If there is anything out of scale or shape you see it immediately and it doesn't look good.

 

I have bought a Bandai Snowspeeder 1:48 and upscaled it as good as possible. I have also used all pictures which I could find online.

 

I wanted to build a big 1:10 studio scale model, like what they have used in the film. The model is about 55 cm long, completely scratchbuild from styrene parts and building time is 6 month until now. I started it 14 month ago but meanwhile I took an 8 month break from the build as I didn‘t want to see it anymore. ;) Many parts needed to be build twice because I made mistakes.

 

Now as the model is very advanced I wanted to show it here in this forum first. It is still not finished, some things are still to do and it also need to be painted. This will happen during this year I hope.

 

Please find attached some pictures of my model. Almost all parts except the fuselage are not glued yet because I want to paint the fuselage first. All other parts are fixed with tape for the pictures which looks not perfect but good enough to get an impression I think.

 

I hope you like the pictures of my Snowspeeder.

 

Thank you and best regards,

 

Mark

 

4_E95_F50_E-4756-41_D8-_B8_D8-64_B3_A130

 

431_EA1_A0-1_E5_F-4456-_AC70-_E357373_A8

 

85_A973_ED-70_D4-4281-_A439-65_F7462_BD1

 

3_EB00281-6_F3_B-42_C9-830_E-09_C8_A12_F

 

5_F143372-0916-49_F6-_A6_EF-514_C9_CBB22

 

EDC40_B60-237_E-4_AF4-8_DA6-4_A9_DB7_A6_

 

08_C4_E9_BD-208_D-4_D99-_A8_D5-9_F5_AB99

 

Edited by Mindmax
Some more words to say...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's an outstanding piece of work Mark. The level of detailing you've got in the guns and engine areas is amazing. Very much looking forward to seeing the painting stages.

 

Andy:cat:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, AndyRM101 said:

That's an outstanding piece of work Mark. The level of detailing you've got in the guns and engine areas is amazing. Very much looking forward to seeing the painting stages.

 

Andy:cat:

Many thanks Andy, this is very kind of you. I am also looking forward to see it painted and I don‘t want to hurry with that. I really would need your painting skills now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The first set o pictures were mind blowing but that last one of the engine detail is the dogs dangly bits!!

 

Outstanding work Mindmax.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, Madmonk said:

The first set o pictures were mind blowing but that last one of the engine detail is the dogs dangly bits!!

 

Outstanding work Mindmax.

Hi Madmonk,

many thanks for your kind words! Good to hear that it was worth the work.

Edited by Mindmax

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Very much worth all the work.

It is fabulous.

Thanks a lot, this is great to hear!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/03/2018 at 05:44, Mindmax said:

Please find attached a size comparison between the 1:48 Bandai Snowspeeder and my 1:10 model:

 

8160_B0_F5-23_DB-4487-_A95_F-2_B51_D714_

I saw this and thought “He’s posted the wrong pic, the Bandai one isn’t there.” Then I saw it. Amazing! Jaw-droppingly good, well done!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Meteors said:

I saw this and thought “He’s posted the wrong pic, the Bandai one isn’t there.” Then I saw it. Amazing! Jaw-droppingly good, well done!

 

3 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Is WOW! enough? I'm not sure...

Many thanks! I am really happy that you like it! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Mindmax said:

 

Many thanks! I am really happy that you like it! 

“Like” does not come close, I cannot wait to see this painted; it’s incredible!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, The Chief Smeg said:

“Like” does not come close, I cannot wait to see this painted; it’s incredible!

Thanks a lot! I also can not wait to see it painted! There are few minor things to make at the model before I can paint it. I am not sure if I can do this with Tamiya spraycans or if I should use airbrush which I do not have so far. I will keep you informed!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, The Chief Smeg said:

“Like” does not come close, I cannot wait to see this painted; it’s incredible!

And before I forget, I still need to build both engines inside under the flaps...

Edited by Mindmax

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hunter Rose said:

That is incredible! Man that thing is HUGE too, really great work

Thanks a lot!😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I could not believe eve the size difference between the two kits. I wonder if scratch building is easier at that scale or does it simply bring with it a whole host of new problems? Not that I’m trying to say what you have accomplished here was easy, the amount of work that has gone into this makes me weak at the knees, I barely get a chance to build anything at the moment due to my work life intruding into my home life. That and decorating and apparently I cannot use my airbrush to paint the hall!B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, The Chief Smeg said:

Yeah, I could not believe eve the size difference between the two kits. I wonder if scratch building is easier at that scale or does it simply bring with it a whole host of new problems? Not that I’m trying to say what you have accomplished here was easy, the amount of work that has gone into this makes me weak at the knees, I barely get a chance to build anything at the moment due to my work life intruding into my home life. That and decorating and apparently I cannot use my airbrush to paint the hall!B)

I think that smaller as well as bigger scratchbuilds have their challenges. With smaller builds the styrene parts need to be cut more precisely and it can be more tricky to glue everything together. Sure with a bigger model the work has to be precise too. At a bigger model the details need to be bigger and therefore more precisely. I have the feeling that I need to work cleaner at a bigger model because you see easily every gap, hole or glue. Other things are easier to build when they are bigger, for example the cannon tubes of the Snowspeeder. But on the other hand they need to be more detailed to look good. I also have barely time for this hobby due to my work and my family. I started the Snowspeeder 14 month ago and there is still a lot to do with it. I will keep you informed!

Edited by Mindmax

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

W.O.W...

I could barely scratchbuild replacement u/c doors, never mind an entire model!

 

:worthy:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dermo245 said:

W.O.W...

I could barely scratchbuild replacement u/c doors, never mind an entire model!

Many thanks, this is very kind of you!

1 hour ago, Dermo245 said:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

that's  one of the best pieces of model engineering I have ever seen. Its so precise and intricate. The subject is only mirrored by its scale in brilliance. This folks,is the reason why were inspired to do what we do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, RACETRACK said:

that's  one of the best pieces of model engineering I have ever seen. Its so precise and intricate. The subject is only mirrored by its scale in brilliance. This folks,is the reason why were inspired to do what we do.

Hello Racetrack,

many many thanks for your friendly words!! This makes me happy and inspires me to move on with modelling! Best regards, Mark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×