A code of Gamcock capturing DB3 on 29 Jan 1940?

JWM

Hi,

I started work on Gloster Gamecock (Broplan) intedning to do a machine in Finnish colours from Winter War. In Wiki and few other sources I have found an interesting story:

"During the Finnish Winter War 1939–40, a Gamecock was used to capture a Soviet Ilyushin DB-3 bomber. On 29 January 1940 the Finnish Gamecock strafed two Soviet DB-3s when they landed on Finnish soil* (which they mistook for Estonia) to transfer fuel from one plane to the other. The strafed crews hurried into the one plane which had enough fuel remaining and escaped, leaving the DB-3 behind to be captured by the Finns."

* actually it was not "soil" but frozen lake  in Hauho, Southern Finland,

I would like to do this particluary machine if possible - so my ask is - anybody know any more details on this? Who was the pilot? What number the machine weared? Was it on ski (I think so, but?)...

The details on DB 3 are better known (Red 15 , s/n 392320),.

http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/db3-il4/tapanidb3/db-11story.htm

Any help will be appreciated

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

Hello Jerzy:)

The pilot of the Gamecock (or "Kukko" as some pilots called it) was sergeant major Pasi Jääskeläinen from Parola airfield close to city Hämeenlinna (or Tavastehus in Swedish). Parola was a training centre providing advanced training for pilots. The flying unit Täydennyslentolaivue 35 had five Gamecocks during Winter War. The airfield is now closed but you can still see it in satellite photos.

Colonel Jorma "Joppe" Karhunen once told me that Jääskeläinen actually killed the Soviet pilot during his strafing pass. Many sources say that some firing took place but without casualties.

I don't have any information about the actual aircraft but I can try to find out.

Kind Regards,

Antti

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Antti_K said:

I don't have any information about the actual aircraft but I can try to find out.

I will appreciated very much...

thanks a lot for name of pilot. I was trying to google this using "Gamecock" and name of pilot - some Finish pages were found but I do not see any number...

regards

J-W

Hi J-W,

Good question... But a difficult one! I browsed several books which have this incident mentioned but no serial for the Gamecock. If it helps possible aircraft in Täydennyslentolaivue 29 at that time were GA-45, GA-55 and GA-58.

Cheers,

AaCee

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AaCee26 said:

Good question... But a difficult one! I browsed several books which have this incident mentioned but no serial for the Gamecock. If it helps possible aircraft in Täydennyslentolaivue 29 at that time were GA-45, GA-55 and GA-58.

Thanks! I've asked question by e-mail to Museum of Aviation in Finland. We will see if it is known...

Regards

J-W