P-63E KingCobra 1:48

Mike

This was how she stood this morning with a base coat of White Ally and some Polished Ally on the nose before I got started with some (hopefully) subtle changes to some of the shading on the panels.

painting1.jpg

painting2.jpg

painting3.jpg

In light of that bit of paint pulling up, I decided to coat the airframe with Klear to protect it a bit more.  I masked that panel off and the one next to it and resprayed them a slightly altered shade by adding a few drops of Semi-matt Ally to the White Ally so it wasn't too stark a difference.  I did the same on a few more panels, and added a bit more for some access panels to give it more of a lived-in look.  lastly I masked and painted the anti-glare panel with some OD, lightened a little in places.  That's still setting up, but after unmasking I noticed a bit of overspray had crept under the masking in a most unlikely spot, possibly ricocheting off the post-it notes and hitting the nose whilst still wet.  I used a bit of IPA on a cotton bud to quickly swipe that away before it melted the Klear, which is yet another good reason to apply clear coats during a build! :lol:

I might actually put the decals on next, as I can't think of a good reason why not unless I've had a brain fart and missed a few important steps.  Someone, Anyone?  Bueller? :hmmm:

Quick pic of the anti-glare panel & some of the detail painting :)

painting4.jpg

I had a dig at the fresh OD in places along the panel lines after taking this pic, to give it a bit of a used look.  It needs a coat of Klear over the nose now to seal in the paint, but it's still a bit fresh so I'll probably leave it til the next session.

• Like 5

Had a bit of a "mini-drama" last night when I was painting in the anti-slip patches on the wing root, which resulted in some rather large chunks of silver paint coming off the fuselage sides along with the stars & bars.  Bum :( Nevermind though, I can patch that up, and after a quick email convo with Ray @Fantasy Printshop, I've got a sheet of various sizes of WWII stars & bars on the way, along with replacements for the wing decals too, so everything is the same shade of blue.  My fault entirely, so no-one else to blame... sometimes you just drop the ball & have to make good :shrug: Incidentally, the kit decals went on nicely - very thin, but I suspect if I'd been putting them over a camo scheme, I might have needed a white backing shape to ensure there was no colour bleed through.  Fine on silver though ;) 

I've got the Me.262A-2a/U2 ongoing for the 262 STGB now, so I've slowed down a little, but I got the decals from Ray @Fantasy Printshop, and applied them over the repaired paintwork and then put on the rest of the kit's decals on, which didn't take long.  The kit decals settled down nicely actually, with a very thin carrier film that really doesn't need much in the way of hiding.  The FP stars & bars were a shade thicker, but they were also a better colour, and the white wasn't even slightly translucent, which is always nice :yes:

painting5.jpg

painting6.jpg

It's all under a couple of wet coats of Klear now, waiting for me to get round to washing the panel lines with something suitable, add a bit of weathering, then seal it with something suitable.  All the dangly bits such as drop tanks, wheels & legs are pretty much done, so it's just gonna be a case of assembly with a bit of (hopefully)  minor painting, such as the prop tips in yellow and the door frame edges  :)

• Like 3

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 5:06 PM, stringbag said:

Looking rather neat Mike.  Are you able to extend the oleo sections at all, or will they have to be fitted as is?

I guess it would be a lot of work to extend them as you would have to reduce the length of the legs to compensate.

Chris.

Do some dry-fitting before gluing those struts, as P-39's and P-63's had a characteristic tail-low sit when parked. If the model doesn't sit right, you might have to extend the nose strut oleo or shorten the main strut oleos, depending upon what the sit looks like. I have attached links to photos that illustrate the proper ground stance. Your P-63 is coming along nicely! I think the other insert you described for the carburetor intake is for the Pinball aircraft, as many of them had flush-mounted intakes less likely to collect the frangible bullets used for the flying target versions.

Mike

https://www.edcoatescollection.com/ac6/Bell RP-63G.html

http://aircraft-in-focus.com/bell-p-63-kingcobra/

I managed to get the panel lines washed today, using a bit of AMMO Dark Wash (A.Mig 1008) to wick along the panel lines, and then wipe off the excess with some kitchen towel.  I also did a bit of streaking here & there, and lastly added the exhaust streaking after a bit of research online.  For the most part it curves gradually down from the pipes, following the flow of the air over the wing, so off I went using my usual Tamiya Smoke with some brown, tan and a bit of black added at times to give a bit of variation in tones.  There are a couple of panel lines that haven't taken the wash very well for one reason or another, so I'll touch those up later.

weathering1.jpg

weathering2.jpg

I finished off the preparation of the exhaust stubs, which were quite badly affected by the mould slip, so took quite a bit of effort to make good.  With some black primer on, I mixed up some of the LifeColor Red Reflection Agent (aka paint) with some of the provided silver pigment that's in the Guns & Weapons set (CS 26), applied it liberally with a flat brush, waited for it to dry, then buffed the edges and tips with a cotton bud, bringing up the shine.  It's a quick easy way to do an exhaust that's suitable for most applications.  While the exhaust staining was still fresh I knocked a few bits off around panel edges to give it a bit of variation, then glued the exhausts in place after coating them with some Klear to keep the shine intact.  It doesn't show up brilliantly in the pics, but it's there, just like some of the small variations in the panel colours... honest! :nerd:

I'm trying to decide whether to leave it glossy, or to tone it down with some satin varnish to match the more worn and aged weathering I've applied so far.  I need to matt down the exhaust staining for sure, as that's really glossy :coolio:

• Like 4

I've been doing a bit here & there on the KingCobra in between starting the 262, and have now got to the stage where I can start putting the small parts on.  I had been looking at the correct orientation of the nose gear leg, which seems pretty key to getting the sit correct, but somewhere along the line after that I seem to have lost the little H-shaped part that sets the angle.  Frustrated is the operative word, but on the up side I've had another tidy up of the workbench :)  I've got the main gear and its doors on, the fuel tanks and the gun pods, and finally got round to unmasking the clear parts, which have come out ok.  The pic below is just a snap-shot of where we're at, without the doors, aerial, pitot probe and a few other bits that could easily be knocked off.

I've also left off the nose gear bay doors, and the nose gear is just push-fitted in place in the hope that this missing part will eventually turn up :pray:

weathering3.jpg

I'm quite pleased so far with the overall look, and although I've still got a few little touch-ins to do such as painting the gun barrels, touching up a few leading-edge chips, and maybe adding a bit of fuel dribble to the tanks, there's probably not much more to do... other than the nose gear of course. :hmmm:

If anyone else has got the kit, the missing part is F4, and I'd be grateful of the length and width of said part if you'd be so kind? As I said, I'm hoping it'll turn up, but if it doesn't I'll probably scratch-build one, as I would feel very cheeky asking Eugen again :blush:

• Like 6

UPDATE: I've found it! :yahoo: It had slipped under the paper on my spraybooth turntable... literally the last place I'd have looked! :doh:

• Like 2

Thanks :) I really wasn't looking forward to scratching the replacement, or the extra time it was going to take to get it off the bench and into the safety of the cabinet. Might get her finished today with a trailing wind :pray: