1/72 Eduard Grumman F6F-3 & F6F-5 Hellcats *FINISHED*

Stew Dapple

Merci Patrice, thank you Cookie and Rob :cheers: 

I got the transfers on the F6F-5, varnished it with a cobbled-together mix of Xtraflat Acrylic and Humbrol Gloss Cote as I was after a reasonably shiny but not new-car shiny effect; didn't come out too badly but a bit gritty here and there due to my shoddy workmanship... anyway removed the masking and have since re-added the rockets, just the finishing touches to do on this one:

DSCN7151.jpg

The blue looks a bit light under my work area lights.

I'm currently applying the cat-mouth transfers to the cowling of the F6F-3, hopefully I will have these both finished by the end of the week...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 7

I like the finish Stew, much better than a pure glossy finish which I reckoned lasted only a few weeks at sea.

"Shoddy workmanship" = careful and accurate weathering! :thumbsup:

She looks great, well done!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Stew.  Just to say how much I'm enjoying these builds :)

They're also a great reference for a 1/96 Hellcat build that I'm doing in the MTO GB, which has been having an identity crisis (-3 vs. -5?).  Having both available in one thread has made it very easy for me to 'compare and contrast'!

Cheers

Cliff

• Thanks 1

Thanks gents :cheers:

Rich, I remember reading somewhere that a glossy finish scales down as too glossy, I have no idea of the scientific veracity of this or not but the memory of it stuck with me; pilots were aware that a smooth glossy finish could add to airspeed but how practical it would have been to keep them polished on a carrier is more than I can imagine :) I've got a slightly glossy sheen on the model and considering I just mixed the matt and gloss varnishes and hoped for the best, I'm happy with it. I'm less happy with the fact that I sprayed it from too far with too high a pressure; I know this can cause some grittiness to the finish, and that is exactly what happened, which makes me wonder why I was not more careful in the application... but still, if I haven't learned by now... :shrug:

Cliff; thanks :) It is a bit confusing as it doesn't appear that they stopped building the -3 one day and started building the -5 the next, so there are early -5's with the rear windows and late -3's with the non-faired cowling covers... I've just trusted that Eduard did their research as aside from the mighty internet I don't have any reference material for the Hellcat :) 

I've started the transfers of the -3:

DSCN7154.jpg

I hate to admit it, because it makes me look like an idiot who doesn't pay attention - which anyone who knows me would agree with - but with the F6F-3 I glued the two rear halves of the cowling to the front part the wrong way up :( Further, I had no idea that I had done this during the whole time I was building and painting it and only now when I tried to test-fit the engine did I realise what I had done. In my defence the parts are virtually indistinguishable one way up from the other and I can still fit the engine so it's not a complete disaster; that I shall have a few panel lines in the wrong place is the worst of it apart from the shame which I have brought upon myself... 

Never mind. Onwards and upwards. After possibly the worst day ever yesterday at work, which is basically the worst job I have ever had anyway, I have a late shift today and my monthly 'one-to-one' meeting with my manager; if I can make it through today without embarking upon a killing spree, I have the day off tomorrow and will hopefully make some progress then...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 7

Your Hellcats look really good.  I think high gloss just looks wrong and that there were be a mix of buffed and worn areas.

Looking at FAA aircraft on board they do seem to be a worn Matt finish.  I'm not sure if they started that way though or whether it's the conditions the picture was taken in.  You could try polishing the leading edges and forward fuselage with a piece of kitchen paper towel, this will buff those parts and give a nice mixed finish...

• Thanks 1

I think they're looking splendid Stew and you'll soon have that cowling turned the right way up :)

3 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

... can cause some grittiness to the finish ...

Dried salt, that's what I think it is... :whistle:

3 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

... 'one-to-one' meeting with my manager

Oh dear. Both participants, before the meeting, thinking about what they're going to say and then just grinning inanely and turning into Mr Grace - 'You've all done very well'. 

Hate those meetings (from both sides). If you're not talking during the month then what's the point of having a monthly meeting?

Miss them like a hole in the head.

Good luck with yours matey :D 

• Thanks 1

They're both looking wonderful Stew. I wonder either of the cowls on my Eduard Hellcats are upside down too. The Hellcat does have a distinctive 'slope' going forward away from the windshield that I think the Eduard kit captures well.

The Squadron/Signal Hellcat book states that the easiest way to tell a -3 from a -5 is the paint! Most other features had some overlap. This advice doesn't seem as useful for FAA Hellcats though, as there seem to be some II/-5's that have the TSS scheme rather than Glossy Sea blue.

• Thanks 1

They look awesome Stew, I think you got the right amount of "gloss" to the finish. I suspect they may have attempted to keep them nice and shiny but as Red mentioned the salt would have been a real killer, no matter how great the paint was.

You could have kept quite about the cowling and I reckon 99% of us wouldn't have noticed, but I guess there's always that one......:fight:

I've just been lumbered with having to do my performance review by Friday, have managed to avoid them for quite a few years, I detest them, HR  has to do something to TRY and make themselves look useful. I especially detest listing my goals/objectives for the coming year! Going "postal" is a favourite thought but I don't think would go down very well, neither would "doing as little as physically possible". Maybe I can loose the form again....

• Thanks 1

Thanks gents :cheers: The cowling will have to stay as it is, it was glued several weeks ago and was painted and decalled before I found my error; dismantling, repainting and reassembling now is not an option. It wouldn't have been possible to assemble it inverted if I had followed the instructions, as I would have noticed much more quickly that the locating tabs on the engine itself did not fit inside the cowling if I had built it in sequential order, but I thought I could save some time and tricky masking of the tricolour scheme by getting the basic fuselage together, painting it and adding the wings and engine after (which, in fairness, did save me the time and the masking as expected). On the plus side at least the distinctive front part is the right way up and looking at the two I can't actually see any difference in the shape :D 

Anyway; getting there:

DSCN7158.jpg

I have to work Saturday but am off for the bank holiday on Monday, so I should get these wrapped up and in the gallery before close of play on Monday :)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 5

... aaaaand they're done: 

DSCN7165.jpg

DSCN7163.jpg

Got the last little details done, like the wingtip lights, the spine light and the little aerial wire behind it and so on... I'll get some proper pictures done for the gallery shortly...

Edit: done - more pics in the gallery:

DSCN7173.jpg

DSCN7182.jpg

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 9

Very nice indeed! Off to the RFI...

And back - forgot it was a GB so I can't comment there.

Lovely pair Stew - those aerials are particularly good - well done with the fiddling! :D 

• Thanks 1

Thank you very much gents :cheers:

9 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

I love the freehand tri(quad)-color scheme on the -3

Cookie, I was just too lazy to mask the tri-/quad-colour scheme so I had to freehand it :D 

8 hours ago, Thud4444 said:

You've got great skill to pull off that oxidized look. Very realistic

Thanks Thud, though that might owe more to serendipity than talent :D

6 hours ago, modelglue said:

It's been so long since I've been able to pop in

Mate it's been too long - how are you doing? And the Missus and the kids? Hope you are all well and happy :) 

Cheers again all B) 

Stew

• Like 2

well done Stew they look fantastic and I think the shark mouth beastie is my favourite. :thumbsup:

Glad you could join us, it was a pleasure as usual to have you along and t follow your build.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I've just had a fun riffle through this thread to spot the blooper, if course it was on the last page wasn't it. :(;)

Sorry about the lack of likes Stew, I've run out in the galleries but I do LIKE your builds & now I've got my hands on some USN Colourcoats paints, I need to try my hand at a F6F sometime soon.

Steve.

• Thanks 1

Thanks very much Steve :)

I think you'll appreciate the paints, they're more like the 'old skool' enamels the likes of us grew up with. The Eduard Hellcats are rightly praised as exemplars of the kit manufacturers' art and they can be got for a reasonable price (in this hemisphere at least). To be honest if it weren't for the canopy mask included in the Profipack boxing I would probably go for the Weekend edition next time, the etched stuff is all nice but not an awful lot of it is visible once you are done. Still, whatever you choose I wish you a happy build :)

Cheers,

Stew

I

9 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

Still, whatever you choose I wish you a happy build :)

I 've got several weekend ed boxes in stock Stew, but the first up will be a Hobby Boss one that has lingered unfinished for a bit that I'll use to practise some soft colour demarcations on the earlier 4 colour scheme, keeping in mind they'll be brush painted.

Steve.