1/72 Airfix Nakajima B5N2 'Kate'

Here is my fourth completed kit of the year, the Airfix Nakajima B5N2 Kate representing E1-311 of Attack Unit 5 flying from the Imperial Japanese Navy carrier Shokaku on 7th December 1941:

DSCN7001.jpg

DSCN7004.jpg

DSCN7013.jpg

DSCN7012.jpg

DSCN7014.jpg

DSCN7019.jpg

This is the second Airfix Kate I have built (the last was from the Dogfight Double boxing with the Grumman F4F Wildcat) and I had forgotten what a nicely engineered and beautifuly detailed kit it is. Construction took about two weeks as a sort of 'side-build' to the Mitsubushi Raiden I am currently building mainly because I wanted to test painting the national markings with Maketar masks. I added Eduard etched lap-straps to the seats and used their mask set for the canopy. I also used the leftover 250Kg bomb from my previous Kate build so the aircraft carries 2 x 250kg bombs rather than the 1 x 250kg and 3 x 60kg bombs advised by Airfix for the bomb load, as suggested by Nick Millman here. I replaced the kit pitot with some Albion Alloys brass tube and rod.

The model was 'black-based' then painted overall in Colourcoats ACJ17 Nakajima Amber-Grey (Ameiro); the green mottling is ACJ03 IJN D2 Green Black (this may well not be the correct green, Airfix recommend Humbrol 116 US Dark Green) but the correct green is not documented; some Japanese sources say the mottling was green and brown but I'm not sure if conclusive evidence will ever be found now. My mottling may be too dense and too granular, I was only able to find one photograph of the original aircraft and it was a side view which didn't really give much away; also I free-handed it with my Badger 150 and I don't think I could have done it any better even if I had better reference material - as it happens I am quite pleased with the way it looks anyway.

The national markings were sprayed (with mixed success) with ACJ20 Hinomaru Red, the white tailband masked and painted with Citadel acrylic Ulthuan Grey which is indistinguishable from white unless you put it next to white but has the benefit of not being brilliant white on your model. The model was then sprayed with Alclad matt varnish, the navigation lights painted in with Tamiya Clear Red and Clear Blue; the final touch was the R/T antenna wire which was added using Infini White Lycra thread (the 70 Denier one).

Thanks for your attention if you made it this far :lol: 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 58

Great job, Stew! The paintwork on the camouflage is superb, I can imagine that took a bit of time. Now you have me thinking I should build a Japanese subject next. Hmm...

Cheers,

Bill

• Thanks 1

Fantastic.  Finish is top notch.  My local hobby shop has had this kit on the shelf for a couple of months now along with the B5N1.  Just may have to pick this one up.  Would be happy with half the result of yours.  

• Thanks 1

That's a stunning build, the camouflage is quite lovely, superb job. Fourth kit of the year - that's most impressive work. The neatness of the canopy framing is also very noteworthy. :thumbsup2:

• Thanks 1

Very nice indeed Stew,....I don`t normally go for Japanese subject but I can feel this one drawing me in!

Cheers

Tony

• Thanks 1