Night/Adverse Weather A-10, s/n 73-1664

Most of these are USAF images recovered during the A-10 Combined Test Force shut down

Wish I had dates for the USAF images. Apparently you can build this jet with production or modified vertical tails...

73-1664 AFFTC 471-81cr

73-1664 AFFTC 473-81cr

Those pods (below) are precursors to the LANTIRN system used on the F-16 and F-15E...

73-1664 a-10 ctf flight lt cr

73-1664 over Edw cr

Those pods again...

73-1664

Taller tails...

73-1664 approach cr

73-1664 a-10ctf 19810900 11cr

73-1664 a-10ctf 6510tw KEDW 19810900 09

73-1664 a-10ctf 6510tw KEDW 19810900 25

73-1664 a-10ctf 6510tw KEDW 19831031 06cr

73-1664 a-10ctf 6510tw KEDW 19831031 05cr

The museum piece on display at the 1988 Edwards Open House. No seats, no engines.

73-1664 afftc mus KEDW 19881023 22cr

Waiting for the Flight Test Museum to be built...

73-1664 afftc mus KEDW 19900509 18cr

Thanks for looking,

Sven

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...

I always thought the two seater had a very purposeful look to it, shame it didn't go into production

Some interesting pictures of an unusual aircraft. One question, how did the person in the back seat actually get in there? Was there a second set of steps for them or did they use the ones behind the door as per the single seaters? The reason I ask is because I am making one of these as a What-if and the kit only provides a set of steps like the ones that are used on the single seater.

On 3/24/2018 at 4:56 PM, Old Viper Tester said:

Most of these are USAF images recovered during the A-10 Combined Test Force shut down

Wish I had dates for the USAF images. Apparently you can build this jet with production or modified vertical tails...

73-1664 AFFTC 471-81cr

Thanks for sharing the nice pictures! I love the A-10. If I am not mistaken, this aircraft did not have production sized vertical stabilizers. Both sets seen in your pics are taller than production units. If you look closely you can see where the added on portion was repainted.:shocked:

7 hours ago, Nachtwulf said:

If I am not mistaken, this aircraft did not have production sized vertical stabilizers.

You may be correct. 

It could be just an optical illusion. To me it seems that the tail in the third image from the top is shorter than the sixth image from the top. In the sixth image, the upper tip chord seems shorter, indicating a taller tail continuing the original taper, and the upper hinge further down from the top. I haven't tried to do any real photo interpretation of any of these though.

Sven

• 3 months later...

I don't have my notes in front of me right now, but I believe the the first tails had a 20 inch extension. Later in the testing the tails were shortened, and the extension was only 12 inches. Still taller than the standard production A-10 tails, but not as giangantic as the originals.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/25/2018 at 8:56 AM, Old Viper Tester said:

73-1664 AFFTC 471-81cr

Hi Sven,

Do you have any idea what the four white marks were just below the windscreen are? Asking for a friend...

On 8/1/2018 at 7:48 PM, Hoops said:

I don't have my notes in front of me right now, but I believe the the first tails had a 20 inch extension. Later in the testing the tails were shortened, and the extension was only 12 inches. Still taller than the standard production A-10 tails, but not as giangantic as the originals.

I've got my computer up and running again. The early tails that were used in the beginning of the testing did have a 20.5" extension on the top. Later in testing other tails were retrofitted that incorporated a 8.5" extension.

If I understand correctly if the aircraft were to have gone into production, it would have used a 12" extension on the tails.

There are lots of unique details on this aircraft, being based on a modified developmental YA-10A, as well as all the N/AW changes. It would be challenging to get them all in there, you need a keen eye to catch all the little differences.

Cheers,

Hoops