1/48th Starfighter main doors

Paul J

How easy would it be to modify the Hasegawa kit bulged doors to the smoother early type?   If its too much I will use kit ones and live with the inaccuracy for my possible Belgian or RCAF build plan.

Pretty simple really, fill them in with milliput and sand down the bumps. The gear doors are only a couple of inches from fully closed when on the ground so seeing what they look like inside would be darn near impossible.

• Like 1

On 24/3/2018 at 9:02 PM, Paul J said:

How easy would it be to modify the Hasegawa kit bulged doors to the smoother early type?   If its too much I will use kit ones and live with the inaccuracy for my possible Belgian or RCAF build plan.

The Belgian F-104s had bulges main gear doors. Canadian CF-104s didn't.

Jens

• Like 1

Removing the bulges is easy but also means changing wheels. I don't know if Hasegawa includes both style of wheels in their 1/48 kits (1/72 builder here), if they don't you need to hunt for a correct set of wheels. There should be aftermarket wheels around so not really a problem, just something to keep in mind.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stalal said:

Depending upon which F-104 boxing you have, Hasegawa has both kinds of bay doors on the sprue. If you need flat ones, I can send them over to you, free. Please let me know. 

PM sent.