Paints and colors

jaca44

As a newb, I'm not quite sure where to post this. I've just got my first kit for about 60 years; a Special Hobby Junkers Ju88C-4 NJ made in the Czeck Replublic. The colors mentioned  are either H** or C*** which seem to be Gunze colors, whatever they are. I think I worked out most as similar 'Mr. Hobby" Mr. Color numbers such that C61 = Mr. Hobby 61.  However I am not entirely clear if I have ordered the correct kind of paint finish. Also, what kind of finish should be used for the exterior camo colors. I have seen reference to weathering as well which seems interesting. Also I need to know whether the pains should be thinned or not. Any help or directions to help would be appreciated.

This is not really the right section, however I'm sure that the mods will move the thread into the most suitable section. In any case, glad to see another modeller getting back into the hobby ! :yes:

In the meantime, a few answers ! Yes, Gunze and Mr.Hobby Mr.Color are the same thing. Gunze have two lines of paints, one is enamels and the other is what they call aqueous colors. The latter are acrylics and are IMHO very good paints. Paints listed as C*** are from the enamels line, paints listed as H** are from the acrylics line.

I am not familiar with their enamels, guess they will need some thinning with an enamel thinner, they sure have their own bu maybe other thinners will work fine too.

I am familiar with the acrylics and they work best if thinned with their own thinner or with isopropyl alcohol (or a mix of IPA and water). They can also be thinned with water but I feel that IPA is better. If you're using a brush, Gunze may not be the best as I've often struggled with them. They are a dream to use with an airbrush though. These paints generally need some thinning out from the bottle but not much.

Weathering can lead to great looking finishes but personally if you are just getting back into the hobby I'll first see if you still have a good feeling for the basic painting skills. If you have then the many weathering techniques will no doubt open a whole new world of possibilities.

Without going into the weathering, my personal preference for the final finish of a 1/72 scale military aircraft model is (with a few exceptions) flat with a slight hint of sheen. I believe that this is the most realistic finish of all, as dead flat doesn't look right to me and glossy is of course not what these aircrafts were. My favourite way of achieving this finish is to overcoat the camo scheme with Vallejo's satin varnish but there may be others that give a similar finish.

Hello jaca44

I second Giorgio's post. I also suggest to take a look at these links:

http://ipmsstockholm.org/colorcharts/colorcharts.asp

http://ipmsstockholm.org/colorcharts/stuff_eng_colorcharts_gunze.htm

The links will lead you to IPMS Stockholm webpages with articles about colours and paints which also include cross reference charts.

I do not know which colour scheme you intend to apply to your Ju 88, but I believe photos of aircraft for all three options, offered with in-box decals, has been published in David Williams' book Nachtjäger (1) - Luftwaffe night fighter units 1939-1943 by Classic. Three photos of M4+RT, for which Williams suggests highly unusual RLM 70/71/65 day bomber paint scheme, are also included. Although photos show the night fighter in question after belly landing, weathering seems to be no worse than moderate. Cheers

Jure